What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Alias Season 5 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Some of the humor in the first half wasn't working for me - in particular the scene when Will finds out about the bomb and his phone goes off. The worst part was seeing Jack distressed about it. It would have been much cooler if he told him it was his phone.

Alot of moments seemed self-parodying too.

Jack and Sydney planned the whole thing, so she's known all along.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
First time I didn't want to see Nichols on screen was when she brought us back to the Rambaldi crap again. Nice to see Will back on the show. Too bad he's not marrying Sarah Shahi.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

I was wondering about this too. I must have missed the scene that showed that Syd and her father planned Vaughn's death. Was it in the hospital after he got shot up? It looked a bit iffy there, like there was something going on and they were setting up a fake death.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Most of it's implied. Last week it went from a knowing look and "need to do one more thing" between Sydney and Jack and then cut to the scene with Vaughn.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The first clue about the Vaughn death setup was when he was in the hospital and Sydney made him ingest some liquid, which I suspect made him appear dead (later) to the right people in order to convince them that Vaughn had died from his wounds. And then team Alias whisk Vaughn away, brings him back to life and hide him out in the remoteness that is Bhutan.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I wish they had more explicitly shown all that or detailed their plan. As it stands now, it was more confusing to me that Sydney and Jack knew. I guess it would've blown the reveal of him being alive last episode though.

And from what I've read, I'm pretty sure that they planned to bring Vaughan back the whole time so it wasn't just a spur of the moment "Hey, let's bring Vaughan back in this episode" type of thing either.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I think because they did an about face with the killing of Vaughn (Michael Vartan was cut loose from the show earlier in the season) they had to figure out some way to get him back. Since they only have a limited number of episodes left I think instead of showing it on screen they just implied it after seeing the very last scene from last week.
I enjoyed last night's episode. We got an "Angel" reunion with Jasmine and Fred and Drew Goddard wrote the episode.
Good seeing Will back too.
The whole clone thing at the end though was lame.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i like ana's kiss on the glass pane =). very nice reference to ealier seasons.

i hate these new threads about fulfilling prophecy by making ana sydney. how the hell do they plan to wrap THAT up with only these few eps left. i hope tarantino comes back. somebody has to kill that SOB! =). loose thread.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Anyone notice the ABC promo for Pearl Harbor with the Ben and Jen together angle? I thought it was amusing and that they were really reaching with that.

Also wondered if that was Jennifer Garner's real child used in that episode. With the laws and rules for child labor on TV and film sets, I am pretty sure it was not her child. But it crossed my mind.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I don't get how Vaughn's death was planned all along. I mean, Sidney kept saying over and over how difficult it was to have this child without him and everything pointed to him being death for real.

But now that the series is going to be over, they come up with this "Vaughn was really alive all along" deal. In true Alias fashion...far-fetched!

And yes, I totally agree that this episode had some of the most unbelievable segments in a while...the cloning in a tub of cool-aid?? Finding the detonator in a river after jumping off a bridge?? And my favorite...super-secret-agent-nannies?? LOL.

I'm gonna miss this show.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Yes, but she was saying that stuff to other characters on the show. She wasn't having a personal conversation with any of "us" in the real world. It seems the idea was to not trust anyone and play along as if he was dead.

Plus, even with him actually alive he would still be in hiding and would not "be there" for Sidney during the pregnancy, birth, and who knows how long (months, years) during the time the baby is raised. They probably didn't have a definitive time frame for how long he would have to be in hiding.

So her distress over doing it (the pregnancy, the birth, possibly raising the child) alone without Vaughn would still have to be genuine. Even though she had to put a slightly different "spin" on it for the benefit of everyone around her.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
The "need to do one more thing" between Sydney and Jack before they showed us Vaughn was alive and was getting news of the birth should have been a major clue that the whole thing was arranged by Sid and Jack.

It made me think back to the subtle impression that there was "something more going on" when Sid gave him that stuff to drink in the hospital before he "died".

Then in this episode, the conversation between Sid and Jack was the final "explanation" for the audience that solidified the hints they gave. It's funny that this was basically exposition, but some think it is just referring to something they missed.

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure she said this a couple of times to Jack and he's in on it as well.

I don't know. I guess you can make an argument that there are subtle clues about this cover up but IMHO, it just wasn't done well. Feels very rushed. But I'm sure they had to rush it because the series is ending sooner than they probably expected. It's all good.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Well, said what exactly? I don't have the episodes recorded, but did she only say things like, "I don't know how I'm going to do this on my own" which would be totally consistent with what I said above? Saying to Jack how difficult it would be to have this child without him is certainly consistent with Vaughn not being there yet still being alive. That shouldn't really need further clarification/justification.

However, if she said anything specific like "I can't believe he's dead" directly to Jack alone with no one else around, then it is a slip-up.

Anyone who has all the episodes from this season and the time care to re-watch all of the conversations between Sidney and Jack (only when they are they only two around) to see if they ever talked about him being "dead" or did they just keep it to "without him", "on my own", etc...?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
either way, i hope it goes out in a huge bang =). i liked how they made a retro (season1) episode this past week.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Sean, you're correct. I made it a point to listen closely when these lines were spoken in private to Jack, and Sydney did say things like, "I miss him so much," and, "I wish he were here." I believe the writers handled the situation quite well.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I knew I had read months back that he was fired so went to look for an article and found it on E Online:

Here is an exerpt I found from E Online dated October 1, 2005:

According to Kristin at E! Online, ABC is now trying to get Michael back for a 1-to-3-episode guest spot, but he hasn't agreed to a deal yet. Gee, do you think that maybe now they realize they made a big mistake in firing him? And it shows there was no original plan to bring him back, just a lot of stringing the fans along. Personally, I hope he's far too busy to take them up on their majorly underwhelming offer.

I think they were back pedaling on the plot points saying they were in on it all along.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode sort of pissed me off. I suspect the bodycount will be climbing higher as we reach the finale in a few weeks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised to see them get rid of two people too. Granted they've done nothing with Nadia all year so they might as well have killed her but it was still a surprise.

The good thing is that now Sloane is the bad guy that they have to stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks