What's new

Akira 70mm version on DVD in UK (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
From Anime News Service

UK Akira DVD "Cinemascope Version"

According to the write-up on MovieMail regarding the Akira DVD from Manga:

'Post-apocalyptic Tokyo. A government group try restoring an ancient force (Akira) to save their world but it proves uncontrollable. Cinemascope version with a fascinating production report video included. The stunning vision of a dystopian, futuristic city deserves honourable comparison with Blade Runner and Metropolis.'

Agggh!!!!

I can confirm that the film was animated using 70mm (2.20:1) cels (don't believe me, watch the production report). I'm definately thinking about picking this up.

The movie was produced with that ratio in mind only for 70mm presentation. 1.85:1 is still the official ratio of the 35mm prints

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I can confirm that the film was animated using 70mm (2.20:1) cels (don't believe me, watch the production report). I'm definately thinking about picking this up.

The movie was produced with that ratio in mind only for 70mm presentation. 1.85:1 is still the official ratio of the 35mm prints
So I am assuming that the 70mm was cropped from 2.20:1 to create the 35mm version at 1.85:1. Is this correct? Are the current DVDs (in R1) then missing info from the sides of the screen?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
So I am assuming that the 70mm was cropped from 2.20:1 to create the 35mm version at 1.85:1. Is this correct? Are the current DVDs (in R1) then missing info from the sides of the screen?
Yes, but 1.85:1 is a valid AR for the film, only on 70mm is it supposed to be 2.20:1. Mostly it's just "set extensions" (more backdrop), there is no action or animation that's missing.

Richard Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,
According to the review thats up at Link Removed the transfer is 1.78:1. Next time I go into town I'll check out what ratio it says on the packaging just to make sure. If this had been the Cinemascope version I'd have got a copy to go alongside my R1 version.
Richard

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Jeff, I am talking about the version released this week in the UK. It is not 2.20:1, but 1.78:1. There are no other versions planned for release as far as I am aware, so I have no idea what Anime News Service is talking about.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I heard the Aussie version has the original and new

English dub track. Will the new(?) UK version also

have both English tracks? What ratio is the Aussie disc?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Not to be rude, but why do you want the original dub track? Not only is it a confusing, incomprehensible mess, but they basically wrote a new script. The new dub is MUCH better

Of course, you shouldn't be watching it dubbed at all, but that's another story

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks