What's new

List of 70mm Films on Blu-ray 1926-Present (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Greetings OliverK,
Did I miss this information from an earlier Post?
Are you saying that the current BD's of "THE BIBLE...in the beginning" and "Patton" were transferred from newly struck prints?

Looks a lot better than the DVD
b2.jpg

Blu-ray
b1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Greetings OliverK,
Did I miss this information from an earlier Post?
Are you saying that the current BD's of "THE BIBLE...in the beginning" and "Patton" were transferred from newly struck prints?

No you didn't miss any information. The prints and the Blu-rays were separate incidents and Fox did not have to scan prints for any Blu-ray release except for I believe some extra footage from South Pacific. Fox has by far the best record of all studios with its large format library as they have released most of them on both Blu-ray and with at least one new 70mm print:

print and blu-ray:
Those Magnificent Men (2k scan)
The Agony and the Ecstasy (2k scan)
Hello, Dolly! (8k scan)
The Sound of Music (8k scan)
South Pacific (4k scan)
Cleopatra (4k scan)
Patton (4k scan)
The Bible (4k scan)

Print:
Dr. Dolittle (I will not count the wretched Euro release as a proper Blu-ray)
Star!

Blu-ray:
Oklahoma! (8k scan)

Neither:
Can-Can

Interestingly all their non-musical films have been released on Blu-ray and also received a new 70mm print. The musicals did not fare so well. Only three of the musicals got 8k scans though. These should also be made (imo) for Cleopatra and The Agony and the Ecstasy as both have the potential to look quite a bit better than they currently do on Blu-ray. If Fox must save money they can just redo the first half of Cleopatra, the second one is not that great anyway ;)

Putting together that list I just noticed that the only two I did not see in 70mm are Oklahoma! and The Sound of Music - their first and their last really successful musical.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
OliverK,

What a fantastic list, concerning FOX's 2,4 and 8K scan history.
Well, that explains why "The Bible" looked so much better than I had expected.
The 8K scans have been both stunning and thrilling. I wonder what holds them back with the rest? Probably money, right?
Well, IMO, FOX should take their remaining Oscar winners for Best Picture and Best Cinematography - at least those two titles - and get them up to an 8K scan level; that being "Cleopatra" and "Patton".
Meanwhile, I find it odd that "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" and "The Agony and The Ecstasy" were the only two titles to not get the nod for a 4K scan.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Neither:
Can-Can
Can-Can they or Won't-Won't they?
What's the deal on this one?
Meanwhile, if FOX has struck a new 70mm print of "Doctor Dolittle" and "Star", then why isn't it being utilized towards a BD?

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
No you didn't miss any information. The prints and the Blu-rays were separate incidents and Fox did not have to scan prints for any Blu-ray release except for I believe some extra footage from South Pacific. Fox has by far the best record of all studios with its large format library as they have released most of them on both Blu-ray and with at least one new 70mm print:

print and blu-ray:
Hello, Dolly! (8k scan)
South Pacific (4k scan)
Cleopatra (4k scan)
Patton (4k scan)
The Bible (4k scan)

Print:
Star!

Blu-ray:
Oklahoma! (8k scan)

Neither:
Can-Can

Interestingly all their non-musical films have been released on Blu-ray and also received a new 70mm print. The musicals did not fare so well. Only three of the musicals got 8k scans though. These should also be made (imo) for Cleopatra and The Agony and the Ecstasy as both have the potential to look quite a bit better than they currently do on Blu-ray. If Fox must save money they can just redo the first half of Cleopatra, the second one is not that great anyway ;)

Putting together that list I just noticed that the only two I did not see in 70mm are Oklahoma! and The Sound of Music - their first and their last really successful musical.
Are 8K scans possible on all of the 70mm titles from FOX?

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Can-Can they or Won't-Won't they?
What's the deal on this one?
Meanwhile, if FOX has struck a new 70mm print of "Doctor Dolittle" and "Star", then why isn't it being utilized towards a BD?

Very problematic elements but Fox put Can-Can out for the vote your choice poll and clearly they have something they would have released. This was posted on in70mm.com at the time:

JANUARY 2010

"Can Can" work completed some time ago. Unfortunately, due to the fading issues in the original camera negative (both horizontal fading at the cuts, as well as east-west fading from poor storage), Fox/FotoKem were not able to make a new 70mm print from the negative.

Instead, a new 65mm IP from the negative as a preservation element has been made, and then Fotokem performed a huge amount of HD restoration. No new print, sadly, but it will make a passable Blu-ray. Hopefully, as technology becomes better, faster, and cheaper, Fox/FotoKem will be able to improve on it in the years to come.

There you have it, should look as good or better detail-wise as Agony and Magnificent Men.

So they Can-Can but they Won't :)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Are 8K scans possible on all of the 70mm titles from FOX?

Possible, yes but financially feasible not.

From what I have seen Agony and Cleopatra could surely look quite a bit better so they are my candidates for the 8k treatment. Patton not as much as it already looks pretty good overall and very much has the same look as the 70mm prints - I cannot say that for the other two.

There is a slim chance for Cleopatra I guess but probably less than that for Agony - too bad.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If a 70mm FOX title makes its way to the 4K UHD format, wouldn't that create the need for an 8K scan upgrade?
Secondly, has there been any conversations concerning "Hello, Dolly!" making its way to 4K UHD, within the near future?
And finally, what's the likelihood that "South Pacific" might make its way to a new 8K scan, while also staying in step with the 8K scans of
The Sound of Music and Oklahoma; being that all three are part of FOX's Rodgers and Hammerstein collection?

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I believe Mr Harris said once that it would not cost that much to produce a bluray of STAR! and DOCTOR DOLITTLE.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
UA built a handful of 150 cinemas based on Dr. Vetter's instructions. Dallas, Syosset, Chicago, San Juan were a few of the cities. He continued to be a consultant for United Artists Theatres for projection and sound until the late 90's. I had the pleasure of meeting him several times during my years with UA.

There were 38 D-150 theatres that I could find.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
If a 70mm FOX title makes its way to the 4K UHD format, wouldn't that create the need for an 8K scan upgrade?
Secondly, has there been any conversations concerning "Hello, Dolly!" making its way to 4K UHD, within the near future?
And finally, what's the likelihood that "South Pacific" might make its way to a new 8K scan, while also staying in step with the 8K scans of
The Sound of Music and Oklahoma; being that all three are part of FOX's Rodgers and Hammerstein collection?

It is hard to know how good the 4k scans were but especially Cleopatra and South Pacific have older 4k scans and technology has improved since then. If I had to guess then I would say that Fox would first try to see how a UHD discs of one of the existing 8k scans sells before committing to another one for that purpose. My number 1 most probably candidate for a new scan and a UHD release is Cleopatra - it also has the detail and cinematography to shine in 4k.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It is hard to know how good the 4k scans were but especially Cleopatra and South Pacific have older 4k scans and technology has improved since then. If I had to guess then I would say that Fox would first try to see how a UHD discs of one of the existing 8k scans sells before committing to another one for that purpose. My number 1 most probably candidate for a new scan and a UHD release is Cleopatra - it also has the detail and cinematography to shine in 4k.
Being that "Cleopatra" and "South Pacific" share Leon Shamroy as its 70mm DP, I'd be happy with a new 8K scan of either one.
So since I ran a voting campaign for one of my favored films upon another thread; to which you supported; I feel its now, absolutely, my turn to return the favor.
OliverK, I hereby and officially give to you both my vote & support for "Cleopatra"; and for its receiving of a new 8K scan in prep for a 4K UHD offering.
BTW, if FOX needs to be reminded, Cinematographer Leon Shamroy received 18 career Oscar nominations for his work...but it was "Cleopatra" that brought him to his 4th win.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Being that "Cleopatra" and "South Pacific" share Leon Shamroy as its 70mm DP, I'd be happy with a new 8K scan of either one.
So since I ran a voting campaign for one of my favored films upon another thread; to which you supported; I feel its now, absolutely, my turn to return the favor.
OliverK, I hereby and officially give to you both my vote & support for "Cleopatra"; and for its receiving of a new 8K scan in prep for a 4K UHD offering.
BTW, if FOX needs to be reminded, Cinematographer Leon Shamroy received 18 career Oscar nominations for his work...but it was "Cleopatra" that brought him to his 4th win.

Thanks for the support but I am not lholding my breath that Fox will bring all their Cleopatra assets to Fotokem right way :)

I just happen to think that overall Cleopatra is their best looking high profile 65mm production so they should look into releasing it as a flagship classic in the 4k UHD format. The same goes for Warner with Ben-Hur (1959), Sony with Lawrence of Arabia and Universal with Spartacus.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip

print and blu-ray:
Hello, Dolly! (8k scan)
South Pacific (4k scan)
Cleopatra (4k scan)
Patton (4k scan)
The Bible (4k scan)

Print:
Star!

Blu-ray:
Oklahoma! (8k scan)

Neither:
Can-Can

I wonder why "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" and "The Agony and The Ecstasy" were the only two 70mm Fox titles shorted with a 2K scan? After all, their other 70mm titles received 4K or better. I wonder what the likelihood would be that Fox might revisit both of the aforementioned titles by giving them an upgraded 4K scan, sometime in the near future?

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I wonder why "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" and "The Agony and The Ecstasy" were the only two 70mm Fox titles shorted with a 2K scan? After all, their other 70mm titles received 4K or better. I wonder what the likelihood would be that Fox might revisit both of the aforementioned titles by giving them an upgraded 4K scan, sometime in the near future?

I can only guess that they were considered to be more low profile than the other titles, probably based on sales figures for older home video formats. As they are still not done releasing all of their musicals with Dolittle, Star! and Can-Can still missing I would first expect those to be released before we see the other two redone or Cleopatra that is also in need of revisiting.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I can only guess that they were considered to be more low profile than the other titles, probably based on sales figures for older home video formats. As they are still not done releasing all of their musicals with Dolittle, Star! and Can-Can still missing I would first expect those to be released before we see the other two redone or Cleopatra that is also in need of revisiting.
OliverK, picking just one from "Doctor Dolittle", "Star!" or "Can-Can", which single title would you hope to see most in 4K and why?

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter

print and blu-ray:
Hello, Dolly! (8k scan)
South Pacific (4k scan)
Cleopatra (4k scan)
Patton (4k scan)
The Bible (4k scan)

Print:
Star!

Blu-ray:
Oklahoma! (8k scan)

Neither:
Can-Can

I was fortunate enough to have worked in a 70mm cinema where we screened all of the above films in 70mm .OKLAHOMA and SOUTH PACIFIC were my favourites from your list. CLEOPATRA and THE BIBLE were flops at our cinema.I never got bored in seeing SOUTH PACIFIC for 25 weeks in 70mm. I did however, get bored in having to endure SOUND OF MUSIC for 41 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks