What's new

Advice re. my speaker setup. (1 Viewer)

Craig*C

Auditioning
I posted this in the Basics forum and was pointed to this place so I thought I'd ask here.

I recently decided that I wasn't spending enough money restoring old cars so I decided to edge myself a little closer to complete financial ruin by building a proper home theater (as opposed to the 32 inch TV with bose acoustimass 10 system I was using).

I bought myself an LCD projector, 100 inch screen, and Denon receiver to enhance my experience...but here is my question for the people who actually know something about this.

I have a large (16 x 20 foot) room dedicated to this theater and decided to save a little cash by using my old acoustimass 10 system. For those unfamiliar, this is the bose system with five double cube speakers and bass module. I am now very disappointed that my sound just is not as big as my image so I've been trying to figure out a way to make more moise and stretch any dollars I have left.

My original plan centered on the purchase of a mid-priced Sub and center channel speaker and then eliminating the bass module from my bose system and connecting the remaining cube speakers directly to the receiver. I would also be purchasing an economically priced speaker to use a center surround speaker so I could make a 6.1 system out of my 5.1 (my receiver can handle 7.1).

Now I'm starting to wonder if my money would not be better spent buying a very good sub and keepng the Bose Bass module to handle the lower frequencies between what the cubes and the sub can handle. I would stiil be purchasing a CS speaker...but this might allow me to buy something alittle better.

What do you all think about my plan? Thanks in advance for your help.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I don't know much about Bose, but I thought you HAD to connect those little cubes to the bass module....no?

Either way, what I would do if I were you would be to sell the Bose stuff and get something better. If that's not possible, then I'd definitley add a subwoofer....I'd recommend an SVS PB-10. That's what I'm running and my room is just a little larger than yours. That's awesome you got a projector....I added one to my room last November....I can't believe how awesome they are for really not all that much money :emoji_thumbsup:

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
I agree with Alan, those Bose speakers need to be connected to the bass module. That is how they get their "mids and bass". I would take his advice and sell the Bose. As you probably may know they are not well revered around here but the great thing about Bose is that they have VERY good resale value. You could sell them for decent money on Ebay or something and put the money towards a nice surround system like the new SVS 5.1 package (which you can get with the PB-10 sub) or something from Ascend etc......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks