What's new
World Wide Stereo

Advice on New System (1 Viewer)

nystinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Hello, Have been wanting to invest in a Home Theater System for several years now. What's stopped me is while the economy of the Home Theater in a box concept is appealing, I don't think I would be happy with one. Stepping up slightly in terms of price point with components... not sure if that buys you a noticeable difference. So I am thinking I will go with components and target my total spend at about $3K-$4K, the more towards $3K the better. So I am looking for suggestions on components out there in the marketplace. I'm thinking a 5.1 should suffice unless someone tells me otherwise. Floorstanding speaker-wise, Paradigm and Definitive Technology have been recommended. Do I go for speakers that include subs? Or separate sub? Two floorstanding and two bookshelf? Brands? Models? How about the other components? I already have a SONY 52" LCD Bravia TV. Thanks in advance for any input. Larry

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What "stuff" are you connecting? VCR? Wii? LD? CED? Beta? BD? DVD? Cassette? CD? Ipod? Computer? Roku? Vudu? ATV? Sega? Atari? Do you want 2nd zone? Do you want networking? Apple/Droid support?

nystinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Good question. VCR is gone. Have old CD player. Otherwise, starting from scratch except for the LCD TV. Probably need to purchase an inexpensive DVD player. Don't purchase movies often so thinking a BlueRay isn't necessary. No gaming at all. Strictly for music from Ipod and perhaps CDs and for DVDs and HDMI? for TV? Perhaps a cassette player and VCR for old cassettes and tapes someday but much lower priority. Would also want a tuner or receiver to receive FM radio on occasion. What value is added by the ability to connect a computer? Network? No 2nd zone necessary at this point. I do have a Droid phone. Larry

nystinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
What you list is of interest, but not a high priority. Computer connection would have to be remote. It's in another room upstairs. Want to start with solid speakers, amp/tuner/receiver capable of ipod input, ability to connect to Hidef TV.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You won't need to spend more than $300 on your AVR then. Most will have a front USB to connect an Ipod...and even the ones that don't, you can still connect with a 1/8th-RCA cable. Everything connects with HDMI to a TV now. You want HDMI upconversion, which exists on the Onkyo NR515(which you get the added benefit of networking your Ipod). I would start with that AVR. http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR515-7-2-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88VI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358053067&sr=1-1&keywords=nr515 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXNR515/Onkyo-TX-NR515-7.2-Channel-Network-A/V-Receiver/1.html If you want to "spend less" on the AVR...yet keep the HDMI upconversion... See if you can find a Denon AVR591. Those where on accessories4less for $180, but have disappeared(may have finally ran out)

nystinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Thank you. I actually think I wanted to go "up" from this type of system (Onkyo). I've had Onkyo products and they are good, but I'm looking for something with higher fidelity. And what about speakers? Larry

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
With $3,000 to spend you should use $2000+ on speakers/subwoofer. In that price range I really don't like to recommend specific models of speakers because we all like different types of sound, I like a softer, warmer sound but you may not. I do think a brighter sound is better for movies/tv. You need to go audition some offerings in the finer Audio/Video stores. Add PSB to your list. If you're lucky you may be able to piece together a used Dynaudio system off Craigslist but most people aren't comfortible buying used stuff. Internet brands to look at are AperionAudio.com AudioInsider.com and AscendAcoustics.com. I wouldn't get speakers with powered subs (although I have a pair myself :blush: ). Just another thing to go wrong. A passive sub is alright but you're paying for something the subwoofer is going to do anyway. To go up in sound quality in a receiver you may have to look at Rotel, Anthem, Arcam and maybe Integra but the cost may be out of range unless you up it to the $4,000 level, or even Harman Kardon (the refurbished HD7550 on their ebay store) but their receivers are kind of quirky. But once they're setup properly they are excellent performers. If those other brands are out of range then look at a Yamaha Aventage. They've also receiverd excellent reviews but Yamaha is the one consumer level receiver brand that I haven't owned yet.

nystinger

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Thank you. Completely agree on the speaker sound. I never liked my Ohm H's because they had a very "loose base". I like a tight, separate base sound in my speakers. I will definition listen to some, but how do you feel about Paradigm and Definitive? Thanks for the other recommendations.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
If you want "higher fidelity" but don't want an AVR(outside Anthem/NAD)...why not go separates? You can find(if you look long enough) onkyo/integra pre-pro for $600. Won't be HDMI 1.4...but you haven't mentioned the need. Lots of amps can be bought 5 channel or a 3 with a 2, for around $600. There is your "greater fidelity".

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I really like the Paradigm's I heard at a friends house a few years ago. Not sure which one's they were though. Paradigm's are very good speakers. The only Definitive Technolgy's I've heard is the ProCinema 800's. I've heard some others at BestBuy but their Magnolia room at my local store is always in dis-array. Usually only one speaker is hooked up or the placement is terrible for any kind of real evaluation. Still a lot better than Fry's though. Here's a thread with someone who was in your position. Kind od long but entertaining none-the-less. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/297610/how-to-buy-new-speakers

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
I personally have Yamaha and Definitive, and love it. This is close to what I have, minus I have a older AVR, and a bigger Supercube. This puts you right at 3000, and the sound would be amazing. http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-A720-7-2-Channel-AVENTAGE-Receiver/dp/B0087KGLEO/ref=sr_1_49?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358106973&sr=1-49&keywords=yamaha+receiver http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-BP7006-Speaker-Channel/dp/B001A6IBP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358107027&sr=1-1&keywords=definitive+technology+speakers http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-ProMonitor-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B000V41XII/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358107226&sr=1-11&keywords=definitive+technology+speakers http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-Speaker-Single-Black/dp/B000TD8XCU/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358107287&sr=1-9&keywords=definitive+technology+supercube http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-Technology-SuperCube-2000-Subwoofer/dp/B004QA7UY4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358107287&sr=1-1&keywords=definitive+technology+supercube

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GAMark
Recent bookmarks