What's new

Advanced look at Thoroughly Modern Millie Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Since everyone is recollecting where they saw TMM, I saw it in San Francisco during its original Roadshow engagement at the Orpheum theatre which was the home of Cinerama movies during the 1950s and 1960s. I believe it's a legitimate theatre now showing plays and musicals.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I saw Millie at the Warner Cinerama in Hollywood. In the row behind our group was Michael Landon who was riding high with Bonanza at that time. His "Little Joe" laugh was so distinctive it added a lot of fun and celebrity to the film. 7 years later at a showing of Blazing Saddles, Landon was again in the same seats behind our group. This time, that laugh launched the wacky humor well beyond its already outrageous premise!

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I saw Millie at the Warner Cinerama in Hollywood. In the row behind our group was Michael Landon who was riding high with Bonanza at that time. His "Little Joe" laugh was so distinctive it added a lot of fun and celebrity to the film. 7 years later at a showing of Blazing Saddles, Landon was again in the same seats behind our group. This time, that laugh launched the wacky humor well beyond its already outrageous premise!
That is where I saw it in 1967.Makes one feel old, doesn't it?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
During the roadshow era in the latter part of the 20th Century which only lasted about 20 years this was the only film shown in 1.85 and the rest were shown in wide screen. A Man For All Seasons doesn't count because it was shown on 57th Street. Can you imagine?

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
During the roadshow era in the latter part of the 20th Century which only lasted about 20 years this was the only film shown in 1.85 and the rest were shown in wide screen. A Man For All Seasons doesn't count because it was shown on 57th Street. Can you imagine?
In the UK we also had "The Nun's Story" as a roadshow attraction. At the time I felt cheated having to pay reserved seat prices for a standard aspect ratio 35mm film.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
If you had seen it in NY you would have paid what they once called popular prices at Radio City and seen a stage show including an earthquake and the burning of Nome, Alaska.
I am not joking.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Since none of us, including Rob have actually yet seen Thoroughly Modern Millie with our own eyes on Blu from Kino yet, I think it more than a shay premature to be trashing the new to Blu. Plenty of time to weigh in once it's actually in our hot little hands to actually critique!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I hope to see it within the next week or two and I am already confident that trashing won't be necessary. The blu ray is apparently bright and colorful, with good sound and all the roadshow music is intact. Those are the things that are important to me.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Too bad its not a very good movie.
It's a delightful movie, if overlong with that superfluous Jewish Wedding sequence and a climax that rambles. But, although Julie made two or three better movies for sure, this is the one that best distills her unique charm and energy into a vehicle that's all her own, rather than an adaptation of a presold property. I think it is a very good movie -- the valentine to Julie that STAR should have been but wasn't.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
This is a film that I love. It is so much fun and the music is so well produced. I am sure Universal and Kino will give us the best presentation possible. I am just disappointed they weren't able to get someone involved in the production to do the commentary. And there are many behind the scenes documentaries they could have included. Indicator did a beautiful box set of SWEET CHARITY and hopefully they will do the same for THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I love Julie Andrews and musicals but thought this was a bomb. Did it make any money?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I love Julie Andrews and musicals but thought this was a bomb. Did it make any money?
It was Universal's largest money-maker to date until AIRPORT and THE STING came along. And John Maher can correct me, but I believe their previous record-holder was TORN CURTAIN. Julie could still do no wrong at this point and THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE puts her effervescence front and center.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Well, A Man For All Seasons does count! It wasn't shown on 57th street in Los Angeles and San Francisco! I still have my souvenir program from its roadshow engagement. Also TMM wasn't the only Roadshow released in 1.85. There's Judgment At Nuremburg (1961) which is also 1.85.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
It was Universal's largest money-maker to date until AIRPORT and THE STING came along. And John Maher can correct me, but I believe their previous record-holder was TORN CURTAIN. Julie could still do no wrong at this point and THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE puts her effervescence front and center.
Yes, Rob. For a few years Millie and Torn Curtain were 1 and 2 for Universal. Hitchcock was incensed that Andrews and Newman took so much of the box-office, he never again used major stars in his films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.