Adjusting HD input's overscan on Mits WS-65905?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Steeves, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

Not sure if this is the right area or not but here we go...

Last night a friend of mine and I did an exhausting geometry, convergence and overscan job on my 65905's NTSC side. The result was wayy better than what I had before.

This morning Time Warner brought me a HD cable box. When we switched to the HD input the geometry, convergence, and overscan was wacked! I just bought this set used last Saturday. The previous owner never had a HD feed of any kind so I'm sure she would never have know it was out.

I had planned on doing the same process we did last night to the HD side of the set tonight. But...

What I'd like to know is how does one adjust overscan for the HD input without any kind of test pattern?

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Brian, you either guess, try with strings and a template (assuming the grid lines up), or use a signal generator.

See you in April ;-)

Gregg

3. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

Kinda makes you wish for the old days when TV stations broadcasted test patterns in the wee hours.

Would a progressive scan DVD player attached to the port your using for the cable box do the trick?