What's new

Adire Kit281...how do they compare to... (1 Viewer)

Darren_T

Second Unit
Hi,
Since I'm building a Tempest I started thinking about the Kit281 from Adire. I know a lot of people here have built them and are very satisfied. I'm wondering, since I can't audition them first :) what speaker they might resemble somewhat in their characteristics. I'm considering B&W 604's for my mains. Would I be disappointed with the 281's instead? I know, it's subjective but I'm a little stumped on how I'm gonna know if I will be happy with them. The sub was a no brainer for me but my mains and surrounds are a bit different.
Can anyone point me to some reviews or comparisons? I read the review on Adire's site but would like more material for comparison. Currently I own Paradigm Minis, atoms, and a cc-350 center.
Thanks.
Darren

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
There was a fellow a while ago who was all set to buy some B&W 804 towers. He decided what the hell on the Kit281 ($300 at the time). He would build them, if he liked them better he would keep them, if not, he would sell the parts at a small loss and go buy the 804 towers. He kept the 281.

You may also wish to note that Matrice (HTF member) has replaced his PSB Goldi towers and some other sub (don't remember which one) with GR-Research AV1+ (little bit cheaper than the kit281 and much smaller bookshelves) and a Tempest. Says he doesn't miss the PSB's at all.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Depending on your time frame I'll have a set of 281s and the GR A/V1+'s done in a few weeks. I've heard the 281s before but not the A/V1+'s yet. The A/V's will be done next week and I'll start the 281s right after that. My LCC is just about done, it's in the painting stage now.

If all goes well I'll be moving the 1st or 2nd week of Aug, so I have to get these built so I can pack up my tools before then.

I'll do a full break in period of 50-100 hours before listening to them and posting my comments.

Rob

Darren_T

Second Unit
Thanks for the info guys. Sounds impressive.

Rob - aren't both those kits very similar? Let me know when you do have them finished and have listened to them. Your time frame is very close but might just cut it before I make my mind up.

Darren

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Darren, the Kit281 is intended for HT applications with its output/bass capability. The A/V 1+ has less output, but it will still work great for HT as a 'small' speaker and probably has better midrange than the 281 due to its 5" woofers (versus 8" woofers in the 281). However, I'm using the 281s for music and they're great, with the main strengths being an amazing soundstage, bass quality and output, and an otherwise very clear sound. I look forward to seeing a comparison of it to the A/V 1+, since that was one of the other speakers I was considering before I went with the 281s.

I agree either kit should outperform the B&W 604, and likely the CDM series as well.

Darren_T

Second Unit
I'm just amazed at the performance everyone claims of the 281's and similar kits. I'm really not that knowledgeable about speaker design or even higher model speakers myself so I usually rely on this and other forums for reliable info so I can't doubt what I'm hearing from you guys. It just puzzles me that I can build some 281's for about 400 after all is said and done and have a speaker that rivals 2000-4000 dollar speakers. I find myself fearing that it is too good to be true but at the same time I really can't doubt you guys because I've never been led astray by this or other forums. Kind of a good quandary eh?
Oh, what's the market like for used assembled kits assuming the cabinet is of excellent quality and asthetics? Will I be stuck with them if for some unlikely reason I'm not happy with them?
I'm confused :frowning:
Anyone in the Seattle area willing to give a demo?

DanWiggins

Second Unit
Darren,

In Seattle? Heck, drop me a line ([email protected]) and we'll arrange for you to borrow a pair for a couple of weeks to try in your home.

Also have a copy of the AX review of them, if you're interested in reading it over. Good subjective review, great set of measurements taken by Joe D'Appolitto.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Darren_T

Second Unit
Wow, that would be really cool Dan. Might ease my wife into it if I was able to demo a pair for a couple weeks. I'll give you a jingle and try and set something up.

Thanks.

Darren

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I told you Darren :D Give Dan a call and he'll take care of ya. You get the rare opportunity to demo DIY speakers before buying.

Darren_T

Second Unit
Yup, you were right Kyle :D
I should have tried to set something like this up when I picked up my Tempest. Pretty darn cool that I'll be able to audition a pair of DIY speakers before buying. Now that's cool!
I'll try and rub it in as much as possible. It isn't often that I catch a break like this. :)
Darren

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Rob, Kyle and Dan.

Hi Darren (that's my name as well)

I've heard the Kit 281's in Rob's house and they were very nice even before break in. In addition to owning the PSB Goldi's, before those I also owned the Paradigm Ref 100v.2 and the Kit 281 was very reminiscent of the Paradigms. Characteristics of the 281's were quick and tight and powerful. The mids were clear and not muddy and that was impressive because they were not critically placed for optimum performance. The highs were detailed but not overly bright and really reminded me of the Paradigm Ref 100's more than any other speaker that I've heard. The PSB's were a little warmer, and had a heavier punch than the Paradigms(slightly)but had a larger sound stage and was the main reason why I went with them over the Paradigm's.

Overall the Kit281's were very impressive to hear (I used my own source material) on Rob's system which is anchored by the B&K 307 receiver.

Although I didn't wind up the Kit's, I highly recommend them for audio/HT enthusiasts. To hell what I think, just look at the customer satisfaction rate.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
As Michael points out above - the 281s will be for my HT and the A/V's will be for another room for music. I will try them both in the same location for the "review". Who knows, if I like one more than the other I'll get another set of the preferred ones and sell the others.

I tried the 281s in my current room a couple months ago. I liked them a lot but they needed more break-in. I built them for someone so I only had about 15 hours on them before he picked them up. They are very nice speakers but I think my room is to small for them to really open up like they want. Like I said before - if all goes well I'll be moving early Aug and the room they will be in is 16x23. I think they will be great in that size room.

That's great you can check them out from Dan.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Rob,
Don't expect a BIG comparison in the bass dpt. Like what Michael said, the 281's use a 2, 8" woofers where the AV1+ uses 2, 5" woofers. Not 100% fair but what the hay :)
This brings me to another point/question?
Has anyone built the Paradox 3 or used the GR 165 or GR-M16 woofer in their own DIY project? I wanted to make my own DIY MTM with the Dayton #295-305, but noticed these were only $8 more and looked to be a little bit better.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

Any comparison I'd be interested in would mostly be from midrange on up, which is why I assume the A/V-1+'s will win on that front. But since I've got a free Adire LCC coming I thought it would be nice to check out the 281's as well. If the difference were very subtle I might be inclined to go with the 281's and ditch my dual 12" subs.

BTW, why not build a pair of the A/V-3's?

Brian

Kerry Hackney

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,
I am not in Atlanta, but about 4 hours north. If you ever want to do a Saturday drive I'd be happy to let you spend some hours with my 281s. Maybe you could get Pat to come with you and we could have a mini meet. Doug "Lexman" lives here so you could visit the Cat Cable home also.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Kerry,

Thanks for the invite! I might take you up on that in a few months when we finish a big project we're about to start.

Brian

Martice

Screenwriter
Don't expect a BIG comparison in the bass dpt. Like what Michael said, the 281's use a 2, 8" woofers where the AV1+ uses 2, 5" woofers. Not 100% fair but what the hay
I totally agree!! I think if music is more important the AV1+'s will do music on a level that will leave you quite impressed. I use my AV1+'s for music and for movies but primarily music. They do HT fine but lack the Dynamic punch of the PSB's I used to own but if you have a capable sub you won't be missing much at all.

The major plus for the AV1+ is that my soundstage during movies is absolutely identical in tonal accuracy because I have 3 of the same speakers in L,R, & center. It really makes a BIG difference in the movie sound stage and when you're listening to multi channel music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks