What's new

Adire Kit281...how do they compare to... (1 Viewer)

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Martice,
I was just going to add that the AV1+ would have a better advantage in music/tonal accuracy department. In HT I'm sure it does sound good and has an absolutely identical sound stage during movies (another reason why I am building my own), it has to.
I am still a little surprised that no one has used the GR-165 or GR-M16 woofer in their own DIY project. Somebody..... Anybody.......:rolleyes:Great, looks I get to make all the mistakes first :laugh:

Martice

Screenwriter
In HT I'm sure it does sounds good and has an absolutely identical sound stage during movies (another reason why I am building my own).
For sure Chris. When the source is engineered, they use identical speakers in total surround. I think it only makes sense to try and simulate the speaker setting as much as possible with hopes of recapturing as much accurate information as possible. I even went as far as raising my TV as opposed to raising my center speaker(like many others do) so that I could stand it upright like they have in the recording studio. I never really did like the center channel thing because although it may be tuned similarly to the mains, it still isn't the same speaker and to me that makes a world of difference.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
I wonder if Adire will offer crossovers to turn the LCC into a 3-way "2851" tower? This would put to rest any concerns about the midrange quality.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

I was going to ask Dan about that specifically. It only makes sense to me to turn it into a 3-way tower. Then you'd at least have a better match across the front.

Brian

P.S. I sure do wish he'd used a round frame 5.25" driver though! I hate flush mounting those damn square frame suckers!

DanWiggins

Second Unit
3 Way towers are in the works... The midrange IS that good (ruler flat from ~150 Hz to 4 kHz). And we do the pincushion frames specifically to tick you off, Brian...:D Nah, just that was the best option frame overall, to mount the surround and the spider we ended up with.
Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

That's pretty cool! Well, my wife might not think so...but she'll get over it. I'm looking forward to hearing the LCC. BTW, the kit hasn't arrived yet but hopefully it'll be here by tomorrow.

Brian

Darren_T

Second Unit
3 way towers...uh oh. Maybe I should wait to hear those instead :D
Hey Dan...do you have an estimated date when they will be available? Estimated kit price? I know, I'm impatient but now you have me curious.
Darren

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Now you speak up Dan! I just finished building my 281 crossovers. Any chance of an upgrade kit being available? I haven't started the cabinets yet so I still have time (but not much) to build them.
If kissing up helps, I like those pincussion frames :)
Can you please get Brian his LCC already. We'll all tired of hearing about it! Oh wait, it'll never end - building pictures, finishing pictures, reviews, :D
Rob

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Lets see....hmmmm....move my 281's to the rears...build new 3 way mains...new LCC...hmmmm.....that works out to be about 10 dates and 5 surprises with flowers for my wife to make up for all of my time in the basement making sawdust :D
Not a bad trade off at all!

Martice

Screenwriter
Let's see Hmmm.... It looks like I'll have to reserve a few more trips up to Rob's house.
LOOK OUT ROB!!! GUESS WHO'S COMING TO DINNER!!!
:D

BrendanL

Agent
I've got the ported version of the 281s in Boston if anyone wants to audition them. Just thought I'd throw that out for any lurkers.

Dan,
stop making such cool stuff. I mean it. Now my roommate wants me to make him a cabinet for the matching center and then another small 281 cabinet to move them to rear surround duty.

-Brendan

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Well everyone is invited to the new house for an outdoor movie in Sept/Oct. I'll have vented 281s, A/V1+'s, different subs and a great projector to play with.
(If I can get it to be a 10th of what Scooter promises I'll be lucky)

Martice - You're always welcome to stop by. Maybe you'd even like to try your hand at a little DIY (with supervision of course) speaker project?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Martice - You're always welcome to stop by. Maybe you'd even like to try your hand at a little DIY (with supervision of course) speaker project?
Rob, now wait a minute here! You're cutting into our profits! :) Maybe you could make him spray his own speaker cabinets though!
Brian

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Once he tries it and see's how boring, un-creative, un-rewarding and dirty the work is he'll take off that Future DIY Guy off his sig. Plus we all know you need at least $5,000 in tools to do it right ;)
I like the spraying idea. Better yet - he can do the hand sanding instead and I'll spray the cabinets!?

Martice

Screenwriter
Once he tries it and see's how boring, un-creative, un-rewarding and dirty the work is he'll take off that Future DIY Guy off his sig. Plus we all know you need at least $5,000 in tools to do it right
I am boring, un-creative and I've been called dirty (although maybe not in the same text) before so I guess it's all the same. However, the $5,000 entry fee is the killer for me. Plus, it'll be hard to justify the noise and excessive sawdust and tools to my wife. :D
As far as coming up to CT and helping you Rob that sounds good. I've wasted many afternoons inventing ways to pick my nose and creating new languages incase we should be invaded by martians or something so it would be good to be productive in some way.
Example of my new language:
SHWIPWOP=Bass Head
TINGLEDOER=Take Cover
OPENBANK=TURN KEY GUY
;) :D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
OK, it's official. Martice is truly the strangest guy on these here forums! :)
BTW, there is no Brian Jr. (or Kay Jr.), but you never know!

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Martice - For starters you're far from un-creative and boring. Your wit and stories you write are beyond most people's ability. How many people openly admit in a forum they pick their nose! Maybe we should start a new poll?
Brian Jr's college fund or Rob Jr's college fund, either way :)
I don't think you can squeeze a table saw next to The Beast, it might get angry and eat your remotes. It looks like the jealous type.
It would be good to compare your A/V's to the new improved ones too. (Trying to stay a little on topic)

ChristopherD

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a picker, he's a picker, she's a picker...

So sorry. Couldn't resist. I'm bored. I have no tablesaw.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Between me and my dad we've got 4 tablesaws, 4-5 routers, several corded and cordless drills, a planer/jointer, a biscuit jointer, numerous types of sanders, etc. ARGH, ARGH, ARGH!!!!

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks