What's new

A revelation about my components (1 Viewer)

JeffPh

Agent
Keep in mind that I knew that I wasn't buying top of the line when I purchased this stuff...How did I fare?

Receiver: Kenwood VR-6070
TV: Toshiba 36HF72
DVD: Samsung DVD-P421
Speakers: Yamaha NS-P220

OK, after a few weeks on this forum (I wish it had been before I made the purchases), I've begun to get a feel for the quality of the stuff I bought. Here's my review...TV, great, exactly what I was looking for...Reciever, not quite sure, there seems to be a wide range in this area...DVD, for the price point I feel like they are all interchangeable (but what do I know?)...Speakers, this may be the flop of the deal.

I was given the impression that the extra money should go towards the reciever rather than speakers...I'm not sure I still feel that way....what good does a 6.1 receiver do me with 5.1 speakers?

I'd like some opinions on my system. I have one day left to return my speakers for an upgrade...thinking JBL instead. Am I better off just waiting and upgrading later?

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Yep oyu are OK with everything but the Speakers. There are many other speakers of much better quality. The JBL Northridge series is a very good value speaker.

I'm not sure what other speakers you can purchase from where you got this stuff. I've got an idea that you got your stuff at Best Buy??

Can you return the stuff for cash??

If so look for Paradigm, psb ETC and audition them.

Brent

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I agree, the speakers are a weak point.

I love Yamaha receivers, but they are not known for their speakers.

A lot of people like the JBL speakers for a starter set so these have at least a reputation.

The Sony SW-MA40 sub for ~$150 is a decent budget sub (you did not mention this), but a sub makes a big difference for HT.

The Canadian speakers all seem to have a good reputation like Paradigm, Energy, PSB, etc., but they are not in the sub $500 price ranges for a set.

The Kenwood receiver: Kenwood is trying to come back in the market. They tend to offer very good value for the money. They dont look as good on paper as Yamaha/Dennon, but their prices are a good bit less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks