What's new

A Question About Color Space When Viewing HDR (1 Viewer)

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Can anyone give me a straight-up answer regarding what the best COLOR SPACE setting to use is when viewing HDR on a Samsung LCD?

I have always left this on "Auto" for both SDR and HDR on my NU8000, but the more I read about this the more I come across opinions that state you're not really getting a genuine HDR experience if you don't specifically select a space/gamut like "REC2020," "DCI-P3," etc. Some even leave their spaces on NATIVE when viewing HDR, believing you're taking advantage of all the colors and "horsepower" the display can provide.

I am not using a CUSTOM Color Space profile on my Samsung being that I don't have the correct tools/experience to begin messing with this (or White Balance), so the choices for me would be AUTO, NATIVE or one of the aforementioned selections (REC2020, etc.).

What is the best choice for ensuring you're getting the full color spectrum when viewing HDR on these panels?

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
What is the correct Color Space when viewing HDR in general, can anyone answer that? Should it be on AUTOMATIC if not using specific color measurements under a panel's CUSTOM menu?

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
What is the correct Color Space when viewing HDR in general, can anyone answer that? Should it be on AUTOMATIC if not using specific color measurements under a panel's CUSTOM menu?
Leave it on Automatic. The set detects which colour space to use depending on the signal being received.

Kaskade1309

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
S
Leave it on Automatic. The set detects which colour space to use depending on the signal being received.
Thanks Worth -- I appreciate the reply.

Auto was always my suspicion, but the reason why I'm asking on a bit of a deeper level is because I keep reading on certain forums (or seeing on certain YouTube videos -- take that with the kind of grain of salt you wish) that Automatic selections tend to "wash out" the actual color being processed, and in so doing, modes like Native or SPECIFIC settings (like REC.2020) should be used instead.

Further, these opinions tend to suggest that you're not actually GETTING the full color spectrum of HDR when using Auto, and as such, something like NATIVE or other choices I mentioned should be used.

Any thoughts on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks