What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Two for the Road -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Will be interesting to revisit this film. I've seen it twice and I've forgotten much of the film I just recall thinking how slightly depressing it all ways and uncomfortable. I'm older now so maybe watching it my third time on this BLU will be what I needed. I never hated the film I guess I didn't know what I was in for. The TT commentary is what I'm really looking forward to.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I have a question about the alternate stereo soundtrack included in the Twilight Time release. If there are any audiophiles out there who buy this, is it a proper stereo remix or the same fake stereo processing that was on the DVD? If the Twilight Time has a proper stereo soundtrack, it will sway me to get it rather than the much cheaper Eureka release which is mono only.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I place this, SHOOT THE MOON, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF and EYES WIDE SHUT as the most honest depictions of the challenges of marriage I have seen (among those that are not especially optimistic), and UP, KNOCKED UP and either version of FATHER OF THE BRIDE as the best examples of marriages that are working.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
This is indeed a wonderful score, but the original commercial LP was a re-orchestrated, re-sequenced mess, as was true of many Mancini score releases, and is the version still available on CD. The isolated score on the TT release is, therefore, a blessing.
Interesting that you pointed this out; as I caught this about "Darling Lili" as a kid.
Think I saw the film 3 times - due to a Julie Andrews crush - but my ear for music and scores picked up the differences between the vinyl soundtrack and what I heard when viewing the film.
Familiar, but not heavily involved with Mancini scores, I find this observation of yours to be quite telling.
"An Original Soundtrack Recording" vs. "Music score from..." was always a turn of phrase to be spotted.
Love the Isolated tracks on our TT BD's.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I place this, SHOOT THE MOON, WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF and EYES WIDE SHUT as the most honest depictions of the challenges of marriage I have seen (among those that are not especially optimistic), and UP, KNOCKED UP and either version of FATHER OF THE BRIDE as the best examples of marriages that are working.
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf was viewed by me as a kid on television. Even at an early age, movies were the magnet. I used to sneak downstairs in the middle of the night, when the folks were asleep and turn the 12" T.V. on. The volume was placed at a ridiculously low level, with my ear pressed to the tiny speaker. One night, it was Virginia Woolf. At that young age, I found George and Martha to be the scariest, meanest couple I ever watched. Marriage looked like a scary thing. Obviously older now, it is a brilliant work. Nonetheless, IMHO, Virginia Woof is the Goodfellas of marriage.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs

Two for the Road and Eyes Wide Shut share the same screenwriter, Frederic Raphael.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Not surprised that it is essentially the same transfer as the film was ready for release on blu ray as one of the films Fox included in its contest a few years ago when we could vote on which films Fox would release. "Two For The Road" didn't get enough votes to be released at that time. To go Twilight Time is about whether the differences are important to you such as option for stereo sound track, not B region locked, isolated score, and new commentary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks