What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Two for the Road -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Two for the Road is one of those films that I'd take to the proverbial desert island.

I first saw it at a Fox screening in NY, just before its release, in the spring of 1967, and it blew me away.

Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney star, with support from William Daniels, Eleanor Bron, and Jacqueline Bisset, among others.

Some of the greatest talents working in cinema, created a masterpiece, which I believe was the first English language film, taking on the best attributes The French New Wave.

Director, Stanley Donen had already given us a lifetime of classics.

Screenwriter, Frederic Raphael had given us Darling and Nothing but the Best.

Composer, Henry Mancini was at the top of his craft.

The film was photographed by Christopher Challis, who, after working on several Powell / Pressburger films, became camera operator on Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes. He had previously worked with Mr. Donen on The Grass is Greener, and had shot 65mm for Those Magnificent Men...

As I recall his processing was performed at Laboratory St. Cloud, rather than shipping the negative back to the states.

Madeleine Gut had cut Wages of Fear, Lola Montes and Diabolique.

If there might be any doubt where this film was going, or that it was something special, that ends with the generic Fox logo, and begins with Maurice Binder's main title sequence.

I'll not discuss the film, as for those who have never experienced, it can be an awakening.

Suffice to say that shortly after release, I was able to acquire a 16mm scope print, which served me well, until it turned magenta.

Taking a look at Twilight Time's new Blu-ray, brings back all those wonderful memories.

I highly suggest that you just go with me on this one, grab a copy, and enjoy.

For me, Two for the Road will remain one of the most important releases of 2017.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Hmm, my appetite was whetted for Nothing But the Best, but a check at Amazon shows Nothing But the Best has never been released, on DVD or Blu, domestically (in the U.S.).

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I assume the transfer would be identical to Eureka's with only difference in the encoding?

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Two for the Road and I Know Where I'm Going are litmus tests. If one fails to be enthralled by them, then the magic of films is not for you.

That's a very absolute statement to make, isn't it?
Different people have different tastes.
eg. I could say the same about E.T., but there are many people that don't like it and feel it's cheesy.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
This film is a landmark in cinema history, IMO. It's absolutely first-rate work by Donen, Raphael, Finney, Hepburn, Daniels, Bron and (not the least by any measure) Gabrielle Middleton as Ruthie. Mancini's score is absolute perfection. It's my favorite Mancini score among his many considerable scores. Finney and Hepburn are perfect in this film, each photographed to perfection by Christopher Challis. This was one of the films that "got away" from the awards because the public did not know what to make of it, I'm guessing. It was head and shoulders on an even par with the best films of 1967 and one of the best of that decade..

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I wonder why Christopher Challis never rose to that elevated place amongst the cinematographers? His works left indelible impressions upon me, since childhood. No, I didn't know the term "cinematographer", at that age; but his collective visuals resonated.
I'm very excited by this release. Thanks TT:)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Christopher Challis was right up there with the UK's best.
His visuals left indelible impressions upon me, as a kid; what with "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" (Both in 70mm, no less).
I'm very excited about this release.
Thanks TT.:)

Race Bannon

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
Wow. I had already pre-ordered, but now I'll look forward to watching it even more. I'm not sure I appreciated that this film was highly regarded.

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mancini's score is absolute perfection. It's my favorite Mancini score among his many considerable scores.

This is indeed a wonderful score, but the original commercial LP was a re-orchestrated, re-sequenced mess, as was true of many Mancini score releases, and is the version still available on CD. The isolated score on the TT release is, therefore, a blessing.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

old mole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Two for the Road is one of those films that I'd take to the proverbial desert island.

I first saw it at a Fox screening in NY, just before its release, in the spring of 1967, and it blew me away.

Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney star, with support from William Daniels, Eleanor Bron, and Jacqueline Bisset, among others.

Some of the greatest talents working in cinema, created a masterpiece, which I believe was the first English language film, taking on the best attributes The French New Wave.

Director, Stanley Donen had already given us a lifetime of classics.

Screenwriter, Frederic Raphael had given us Darling and Nothing but the Best.

Composer, Henry Mancini was at the top of his craft.

The film was photographed by Christopher Challis, who, after working on several Powell / Pressburger films, became camera operator on Black Narcissus and The Red Shoes. He had previously worked with Mr. Donen on The Grass is Greener, and had shot 65mm for Those Magnificent Men...

As I recall his processing was performed at Laboratory St. Cloud, rather than shipping the negative back to the states.

Madeleine Gut had cut Wages of Fear, Lola Montes and Diabolique.

If there might be any doubt where this film was going, or that it was something special, that ends with the generic Fox logo, and begins with Maurice Binder's main title sequence.

I'll not discuss the film, as for those who have never experienced, it can be an awakening.

Suffice to say that shortly after release, I was able to acquire a 16mm scope print, which served me well, until it turned magenta.

Taking a look at Twilight Time's new Blu-ray, brings back all those wonderful memories.

I highly suggest that you just go with me on this one, grab a copy, and enjoy.

For me, Two for the Road will remain one of the most important releases of 2017.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

4k Up-rez - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH
I have the Fox DVD. Is this Twilight Time version worth the expensive upgrade?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Finney is such an amazing actor. Has anyone seen him in SHOOT THE MOON (another title we need on Blu-ray, but that would be up to Warner Bros., I think)?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Finney is such an amazing actor. Has anyone seen him in SHOOT THE MOON (another title we need on Blu-ray, but that would be up to Warner Bros., I think)?

He is tremendous, I agree. His performances are always fascinating no matter the material. In films that may not be considered "great" Finney always is. Watch him in something like Looker, not a great film, but he is giving a performance that is the absolute best thing about the picture. Were he not in it...I don't think it is a film I would want to see or watch again.

In a genre piece like Wolfen Finney raises the bar for the entire procedure.

Obviously when he gets parts in films like Two for the Road, Shoot the Moon, or something like The Dresser he tears into these roles with abandon. One of my favorite Finney performances is in John Huston's Under the Volcano...hopefully Criterion does the blu-ray upgrade for that.

A probably little seen but tremendous Finney performance that is not at all available in the US is The Green Man a made for television ghost story from the BBC. Finney is electric in it and it really is one of the great ghost story films ever made thanks to him.

But if you want a place to start with Finney...this is it. Two for the Road...go get this now.

Here's a fun little Finney interview for anybody with an interest.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/features/this-might-possibly-be-albert-finney-19820624

I would just like to say, and it is mentioned in the article above, Finney directed and starred in a film that I believe remains one of his personal favorite works called Charlie Bubbles...this also deserves a blu-ray release and is currently available in a DVD-R version in the US.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Reggie, all the titles you mention contain tremendous Finney performances. BTW, The Green Man was once released on Laser Disc. I own a copy. And who can forget Liza Minnelli in Charlie Bubbles surprising Finney by pleasuring him orally, and if I remember correctly, leaving her hairpiece in his hands?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Reggie, all the titles you mention contain tremendous Finney performances. BTW, The Green Man was once released on Laser Disc. I own a copy.

It is currently available on PAL DVD in the UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Man-...&qid=1484241857&sr=1-2&keywords=the+green+man

I have this and it looks decent, almost certain better than the laser, which I have not viewed. It is a neglected t.v. miniseries that the BBC put out in 1990 and is an effective ghost story. I caught it on PBS back then, but so far, it has never appeared on DVD in the U.S.

These last few posts are steering this thread away from the OP, but I guess I would simply add that you can't go wrong performance-wise with a Finney film, and TWO FOR THE ROAD is certainly one of his best.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks