What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There are really not any scenes on the reconstruction that are missing audio. There is picture missing but stills are used are used for audio where scenes don't survive.

I watch the reconstruction version about every other month. This is my favorite film comedy and I alway enjoy showing it to people who have never seen it. They always walk away with a smile.

Thank you RAH for your and the team's hard work on this film. It is very appreciated.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Every time I watch a RAH restoration, I walk away wondering why I couldn’t see the parts that actually needed fixing? :rolleyes:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Every time I watch a RAH restoration, I walk away wondering why I couldn’t see the parts that actually needed fixing? :rolleyes:
Studios must not think people want to watch a film be restored as part of special features.
Well, my stab at being ironic failed; as we’re not supposed to notice, short of just how glorious those restored images are right up there on that big wide screen.

Anyway, as far as special features goes, I wish Fathom events would run such a short and then announce a passing of the hat for donations towards the fundings of future restorations.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Well, my stab at being ironic failed.

Anyway, as far as special features goes, I wish Fathom events would run such a short and then announce a passing of the hat for donations towards the fundings of future restorations.

They haven't taken donations at theater's since they did The Jimmy Fund back in the 90's.

1707273041780.png

• Agreed
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
They haven't taken donations at theater's since they did The Jimmy Fund back in the 90's.

View attachment 212090
AMC should run an annual live telethon over a specific Friday, Saturday, Sunday telecast; with side by side “before and after” clips; raising monies for fundings of current or sorely in need restoration projects.

AMC should highlight and bring attentions towards such groups as The Film Foundation, The Film Preserve and the many specialized groups such as The Mary Pickford Foundation.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
AMC should run an annual live telethon over a specific Friday, Saturday, Sunday telecast; with side by side “before and after” clips; raising monies and fundings for restoration projects.

In a different world that would be nice, but in ours that wouldn't happen as theater and studios would not be making money, which is how they and Hollywood stay in business.

AFI would be the one's to do something like that, but have to do it all there own though.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
In a different world that would be nice, but in ours that wouldn't happen as theater and studios would not be making money, which is how they and Hollywood stay in business.

AFI would be the one's to do something like that, but have to do it all there own though.
Respectfully, I disagree. In the right hands and mindset, anything can be marketed or promoted; especially when something has a good and productive goal behind it, as well.

As it is, I feel that every theater that hosts a Fathom event should be running a benefitting Trailer on all their screens to promote the next classic film, a good few weeks in advance. If making money is what the theater owners want, then they should be embracing these monthly events by getting the word out through their audiences who are already present and in-house. Truly, I have never even noticed the simple display of a poster along the entrance wall or in the main lobby.

Last edited:

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Respectfully, I disagree. In the right hands and mindset, anything can be marketed or promoted; especially when something has a good and productive goal behind it, as well.

As it is, I feel that every theater that hosts a Fathom event should be running a benefitting Trailer on all their screens to promote the next classic film, a good few weeks in advance. If making money is what the theater owners want, then they should be embracing these monthly events by getting the word out through their in-house audiences who are already present. Truly, I have never even noticed the simple display of a poster along the entrance wall or in the main lobby.

When TCM partnered with Fathom the movies that they'd show where advertised through TV spots on many channels, quite a few not affiliated with Turner.

However since TCM isn't doing anything with Fathom, it's all word of mouth about these monthly re-releases now.

• Agreed

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I thought everything that still exists in one way or another was included in the reconstruction version?
I believe so.

The missing scenes RAH mentioned must not have audio extant or they would have used still
Photos.

I too love the restoration. Great film. It’s slowly becoming a favorite of mine. I can’t watch it every other month, but once or twice a year.

What surprises me is that some scenes they trimed off just a few frames or a couple seconds, where other scenes they cut huge chunks out, some of which make the film make more sense.

But I guess that’s what you have to do to cut down a 4h movie to 2.5h.

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
Can't believe it's already been 10 years since the Criterion release. One of my all time favorite movies I can remember when MGM first released that double cassette in Widescreen and how exciting it was to get the film in its OAR. I vaguely remember as a kid watching it on tv when ABC or CBS would air it as a movie of the week and it became an event movie to watch. While I'd love to see it in 4K the Criterion release with all the work done by RAH to compile and restore lost footage was very exciting, considering the movie was released before my time and looks beautiful as it stands now. I always wondered why TCM stopped showing the roadshow version and went back to the theatrical. It's been several years since they aired that version.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Can't believe it's already been 10 years since the Criterion release. One of my all time favorite movies I can remember when MGM first released that double cassette in Widescreen and how exciting it was to get the film in its OAR. I vaguely remember as a kid watching it on tv when ABC or CBS would air it as a movie of the week and it became an event movie to watch. While I'd love to see it in 4K the Criterion release with all the work done by RAH to compile and restore lost footage was very exciting, considering the movie was released before my time and looks beautiful as it stands now. I always wondered why TCM stopped showing the roadshow version and went back to the theatrical. It's been several years since they aired that version.

TCM most likely stopped showing the 1991 version because the image quality of the VHS was starting to show and that MGM probably didn't want to keep licensing it out anymore and wants to only show the restored general release.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
The only prints lacking that title were 35mm, non-roadshow.
I thought the 1963 70mm Version left-out the "In Cinerama" Title, I thought it was exclusive to "Stanley Kramer Original Workprint" of the film, (read and saw an image comparison of the "Presents" card, along with an interview 2002 [pardon me for dwelling on the past]).

It's present on the 70mm Roadshow Prints (before the 2013 restoration)?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I thought the 1963 70mm Version left-out the "In Cinerama" Title, I thought it was exclusive to "Stanley Kramer Original Workprint" of the film, (read and saw an image comparison of the "Presents" card, along with an interview 2002 [pardon me for dwelling on the past]).

It's present on the 70mm Roadshow Prints (before the 2013 restoration)?

Here's a comparison between all the versions of the film so far.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=361326

https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=202720

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
Thank you, Andrew. But I am aware and have read the links, General Release vs. 1991 VHS/LD / 1991 Version vs 2013 restoration.

@Robert Harris: I was refering to this:

Is that 35mm or 70mm? (since this was a 1963 tech print):
harris2.jpg

Stanley Kramers Original Workprint (later retained for the 2013 restoration):
harris14.jpg

Were the "In Cinerama" letters also present on 70mm Roadshow/General Release or just the Workprint?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Thank you, Andrew. But I am aware and have read the links, General Release vs. 1991 VHS/LD / 1991 Version vs 2013 restoration.

@Robert Harris: I was refering to this:

Is that 35mm or 70mm? (since this was a 1963 tech print):
harris2.jpg

Stanley Kramers Original Workprint (later retained for the 2013 restoration):
harris14.jpg

Were the "In Cinerama" letters also present on 70mm Roadshow/General Release or just the Workprint?
The 35mm work picture (before re-cutting) was the basis of the original Roadshow. Our footage was harvested from an original 70mm print shipped in from Australia.

There were two Main Title 65mm negatives, and no 35mm production prints with the Cinerama title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks