What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World -- in Blu-ray (2 Viewers)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
At 33 feet wide, the Fine Arts is on the small side, and yet the Vista is only 3 feet wider, and the Aero is close to 11 feet wider. Sorry, but none of these 70mm houses are places I would go out of my way to see a film like IAMMMMW in.
Exactly my point. I will never go to the Aero or the Vista to see 70mm. The Fine Arts, during my youth, was basically a theater that showed small black-and-white films like David and Lisa and The Miracle Worker and foreign films like Never on Sunday and That Man from Rio.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The film really comes alive on the big screen. I was lucky enough to see it in 35mm at the Loews Jersey years ago and it was a revelation after only watching it on small tv screens. It was like I was watching it for the first time.

This film is meant to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Would LOVE an IMAX release.
Wrong shape.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
In the absence of ultrawide screens IAMMMMW should play nicely on very big scope screens with proper vertical masking and curtains that actually close all the way down to get a proper roadshow experience.

Not sure where these could be found, they seem to have become extremely rare.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In the absence of ultrawide screens IAMMMMW should play nicely on very big scope screens with proper vertical masking and curtains that actually close all the way down to get a proper roadshow experience.

Not sure where these could be found, they seem to have become extremely rare.
We ran Ben-Hur at our little local theater on Sunday. Not a huge screen, but large enough for the space at 38 feet. Proper 4-way maskings matting properly at 2.76:1.

Film holds up beautifully.

Into The Archives

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jayson
I don't see a problem with 33ft, I've only see this movie on both of these size screens.
Sure, it still plays nicely on a small screen, and at home, I projected it on a 10-foot Scope screen, but after seeing it a few times at the Cinerama and the Goldwyn in 70mm over the years (the 2003 Technicolor/CFI struck print looked the best compared to the 2-points too-blue Fotokem print that was struck around 2008 IMO), I do prefer a really BIG screen experience on this one.

However, if you have never seen Mad World in a 70 mm theater, you should go—no matter what Bruce and I think of the smaller screens in LA. Hell, even in 35mm, if you have only seen it on TV, you should still go. It’s an event!

Attachments

• Mad World.jpg
    Mad World.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ok then…🙁

I’m sure you must realize this Tino but for anyone else reading - if a classic feature like Mad World was given an IMAX run, it would most likely be a digital presentation, so there’s no film stock waste to speak of - a 2D IMAX 15/70 print costs over $30,000 to manufacture plus the additional costs of bringing the exhibition equipment out of storage and hiring projectionists and it’s extremely unlikely that it would be done that way in this moment in time.

The pathway towards an IMAX release would be for MGM to create a new 4K digital master that could be repurposed as an IMAX DCP and played on their digital and laser systems. Most IMAX theaters have a ratio that is approximately 1.90:1. Some are much closer to 2.20:1 / 2.40:1, having been retrofitted from conventional theaters.

More relevant to the discussion, I think, is that these IMAX-branded auditoriums are, as a whole and on average, the largest and best maintained commercial theater venues that a majority of the public has access to.

There just aren’t a plethora of venues left that can show 2.76:1 presentations anymore. A handful of repertory locations can simulate it by using masking to adjust the proportions of the screen they have, but there not enough of these types of venues to provide a widespread release that the average theatergoer would have access to.

When it comes to showing any vintage film in an archaic format, I believe one cannot let the perfect be the enemy of the good. An IMAX release of Mad World or any classic film would in all likelihood be the best widespread release presentation possible for most people. I didn’t go to see movies like Raiders of the Lost Ark in IMAX because I was under any impression that it would be transformed to a Christopher Nolan 15/70 epic. I went because in practical terms, it was the best chance to see the movie on the best screen that was readily available to me.

In other words, your desire to see Mad World on your local IMAX screen isn’t an absurd wish. It’s a wish to see it on the best screen that’s reasonably accessible to you, compared to, say, a Fathom release where the movie is often booked on the smallest screen in the local multiplex.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Not only should it be seen in a theatre, but an audience is vital, preferably one filled with fans. I recently went to see a booked-at-the-last-minute matinee at a local venue--and there were only three other people in the joint. It was somewhat less than the joyous experience it normally is.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd go see it if shown at the Lincoln Square IMAX (in 4K) over here. Probably less so at the other much smaller IMAXes (that would likely be 2K?).

_Man_

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not only should it be seen in a theatre, but an audience is vital, preferably one filled with fans. I recently went to see a booked-at-the-last-minute matinee at a local venue--and there were only three other people in the joint. It was somewhat less than the joyous experience it normally is.
You’re So correct, and many viewers don’t understand that being in a like-minded, actively responsive crowd is a major part of the cinema experience.

Much akin to watch gladiators at the maximus when I was a child. Without the thumbs up/down from the fans, there was a lack of excitement and pleasure.

SwatDB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Brynskov
It would on the short version, but not the reconstruction for which many elements are HD
Thank you.

It is more or less the same story generally speaking. When a simple scene is deleted from the film from the OCN/YCM Separation Master, then deleted is later rediscovered from either an IP or Print and scanned in either 2K or HD.

The Native 4K on a Longer Version dosen't seem to be present if indeed the 2K/HD master is upscaled to 4K.

Ergo:

General Release/Theatrical Version: 4K UHD
Longer/Director's/Special Edition/Roadshow Versions: HD/SD resolution (If the High-def presentation is not present *).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sound like the screening was a disaster. This is what my brother just texted me.

“It was actually pretty disappointing; after a whole 25 minute preview of their upcoming schedule, the movies audio broke. It was delayed at least 30 minutes; worse yet the print was muddy and kind of sucked. I was bummed out”.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks