What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

1711157520788.jpeg

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Obviously written by AI.
So Robert, just to make sure once and for all since you're the official authority on this film and having done all the proper restoration work on this classic for Criterion, is there a 210 minute version of this film or not and the 197 minute version is the longest and most extended version available of this film? Just so I know once and for all is all I'm asking. Thank you.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So Robert, just to make sure once and for all since you're the official authority on this film and having done all the proper restoration work on this classic for Criterion, is there a 210 minute version of this film or not and the 197 minute version is the longest and most extended version available of this film? Just so I know once and for all is all I'm asking. Thank you.
As I recall - not going to our research papers - there were approximately 15 70mm prints struck of the original Roadshow version mit radio calls (at least in the domestic).

Before distribution of the majority, including dubbed and subtitled, UP70 as well as rectified, they went into post-production cutting, where they were taken apart, sequences removed, and much of the film restructured. They were then degaussed and re-sounded with new 6-track masters for the cut version.

This occurred AFTER 2 or 3 test screenings at various longer lengths.

When the prints returned, they had been conformed to the version that was essentially the New roadshow. Not yet general release, as still all with the “in Cinerama” title. There were no radio calls, which had been Reel 16. And those calls SHOULD NOT be part of any current 70mm prints, although they have been incorrectly added, and I’ve heard possibly doubled.

The original prints that had opened long, ran for a period and were also replaced.

No print of the original un-cut Roadshow survives, although several do of the re-cut.

The generic version that we now have at (from memory) 154 minutes, is the same as the replacement Roadshow cut, less music and Intermissiom.

The 197 is our reconstruction - Not a restoration, just a reconstruction. Totally funded by Criterion.

For the record, the laserdisc version is Not the Roadshow. It contains trims that had been removed before the film’s premiere, and were from a 70mm test cutting copy.

Last edited:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Before distribution of the majority, including dubbed and subtitled, UP70 as well as rectified, they went into post-production cutting, where they were taken apart, sequences removed, and much of the film restructured. They were then degaussed and re-sounded with new 6-track masters for the cut version.

Would you happen to know how many non-rectified prints were struck?

Over here in Europe it seems that the 5 Cinerama movies shot in UP70 are only available in either flat prints with cropped sides or in rectified prints. Not very good choices when watching them on screens without a very deep curve.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Would you happen to know how many non-rectified prints were struck?

Over here in Europe it seems that the 5 Cinerama movies shot in UP70 are only available in either flat prints with cropped sides or in rectified prints. Not very good choices when watching them on screens without a very deep curve.
Sorry. Never located specific optical printing records. We have all sorts of minutia, such as the dates of negative cleaning, and number of prints struck (per reel) on certain dates.

Rectified prints did seem rather popular, as they could be screened without anamorphic attachments.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Sorry. Never located specific optical printing records. We have all sorts of minutia, such as the dates of negative cleaning, and number of prints struck (per reel) on certain dates.

Rectified prints did seem rather popular, as they could be screened without anamorphic attachments.

Negative cleaning sounds interesting, did you get an idea how much the negative was used and how often it was cleaned during the period of the initial release?

Yes they seem to have been very popular and obviously suited quite well for Cinerama theaters but it is rather unpleasant to see them on a regular screen.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Negative cleaning sounds interesting, did you get an idea how much the negative was used and how often it was cleaned during the period of the initial release?

Yes they seem to have been very popular and obviously suited quite well for Cinerama theaters but it is rather unpleasant to see them on a regular screen.
Only have cleaning records from London, which begin in 1964. But here's a tiny artifact - a timing card, showing deletions.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 11.37.29 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 11.37.56 AM.png

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Will there be any chance of this film coming out in the Ultra 4K HD format?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Mr. Harris, thank you for all the info on this title. It’s fast becoming a favorite, and I very much appreciate all the information you’ve given us over the years on this title.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It would on the short version, but not the reconstruction for which many elements are HD
That’s great news. I would love a 4K release of the general release version which is the best version imo. Hope it comes to fruition. Have you heard any rumblings on that front?

Into The Archives

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jayson
Showing this in 70mm at the Fine Arts is a joke. A JOKE.
At 33 feet wide, the Fine Arts is on the small side, and yet the Vista is only 3 feet wider, and the Aero is close to 11 feet wider. Sorry, but none of these 70mm houses are places I would go out of my way to see a film like IAMMMMW in.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The film really comes alive on the big screen. I was lucky enough to see it in 35mm at the Loews Jersey years ago and it was a revelation after only watching it on small tv screens. It was like I was watching it for the first time.

This film is meant to be seen on the biggest screen possible. Would LOVE an IMAX release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks