What's new

UHD Review International A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Ladykillers (1955) -- in 4k UHD (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Ladykillers is one of those films that is so quintessentially and totally British that it needs that aura in which to properly survive.

As a film produced in 1955, it also stands as the final three-strip Technicolor production - the end of an extraordinary era in cinema.

Released in the UK by Studio Canal, it's the first time that I've seen the film has looked proper in any home video format, and it's virtually perfect.

The only (tiny) downside, is that I'd have preferred to see the overall imagery digitally softened just a bit, to take the edge off the grain, and make it appear more akin to original dye transfer prints.

Aside from that, it's gorgeous to behold.

Darkly humorous, beautifully crafted and acted - directed by Alexander Mackendrick, written by William Rose (It's a Mad... World), and photographed in Technicolor by Otto Heller (His Majesty O'Keefe, The Crimson Pirate), it's one of the miraculous little films that continuous to get better with age.

Probably should have noted Alec Guinness, Cecil Parker, Herbert Lom and Peter Sellers - and Katie Johnson.

A tad expensive to import, but worth the effort. Hopefully, it will arrived domestically in the near future.

Image – 4.75

Audio – 5

Pass / Fail – Pass

Upgrade from DVD/Blu-ray - Yes

Plays nicely with Projectors - Yes

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Is the included Blu-Ray also an upgrade from the prior Blu-Rays?
(for those of us who haven't moved to UHD yet).

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Agreed - been waiting for your review for a long time. It's a real treat when old films are given such a nice home video release.

There's no certainty that it will be released in the USA though. There seems to be a bigger market for UHDs in Europe, judging by the discrepancy in titles being released on both sides of the pond.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Mr. Harris, I've had this for a few months and I agree with everything you say.

I saw this film as a child and it has such distinctive and amazing color that it has remained, more or less indelible, in my mind, and this does, other than the softness of the grain, look exactly like the release print I remember seeing so many years ago. That golden glow, the warmth of the color, those shimmering highlights, those crystalline skies--they must have waited a long time for sunny days--all of it. Wow! As a child, watching this film was the equivalent of walking into a candy store and holding all those colored wrappers up to the light.

And yes, a Blu-Ray comes with it from the same master, which also looks to these eyes sublime, though not quite as perfect as the UHD. And that Blu-Ray is also available as a stand-alone import.

CJamesCook

Grip
Real Name
Jim Cook
The Ladykillers is one of those films that is so quintessentially and totally British that it needs that aura in which to properly survive.

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

RAH - Perhaps you might add an additional line to your reviews of 4K releases: "Upgrade from Blu-ray"?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
RAH - Perhaps you might add an additional line to your reviews of 4K releases: "Upgrade from Blu-ray"?
You mean like this? ;)

1628612513946.png

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yes. Though I had to scroll back up to confirm that I hadn't missed this already being there. Yup, it's not there.
Yes, Mr. Harris has the "Upgrade from DVD" rating in this review instead. Perhaps he never got a chance to see the Studio Canal Blu-ray release of The Ladykillers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks