JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The key sequence hack doesn't work on all non-Region A titles, unfortunately. Apparently it's dependant on the authoring of the disc. Region B Studio Canal releases, for example, are problematic. In other words, it's a crap shoot.
I only tried it on a couple titles, and they worked. I do recall there being a limitation, accessing menus, no fast forward, something like that. I have a hardware hack for my Oppo, so that's what I use.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I only tried it on a couple titles, and they worked. I do recall there being a limitation, accessing menus, no fast forward, something like that. I have a hardware hack for my Oppo, so that's what I use.

The Panasonic hack will work on many titles, but not all, which is why I also have a dedicated region-free player.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thank Robert Zohn for a great purchase experience and I love the Panasonic 9000 it is a huge step up from my 1st generation Samsung 4K player. Anyone that is looking for a top notch 4K UHD Blu-ray/ Blu-ray player will not be disappointed with the Panasonic 9000 so give Robert Zohn a shot at your business!

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Just a reminder that Panasonic's $50 Instant Rebate for the UB820 ends Sunday, July 14th. Further, in reading the latest roadmap that goes through September no more promotions are schedulled.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Thank Robert Zohn for a great purchase experience and I love the Panasonic 9000 it is a huge step up from my 1st generation Samsung 4K player. Anyone that is looking for a top notch 4K UHD Blu-ray/ Blu-ray player will not be disappointed with the Panasonic 9000 so give Robert Zohn a shot at your business!
I am looking to add a second UHD Blu-ray player to the mix this coming fall. Right now I’ve settled on the Sony X800M2 that comes with the Region Free mods.

@Robert_Zohn could you offer me a deal on said above X800M2?
(PM me with details).

Probably around early November for the X800M2.

Much as I would like a Panny UB9000, I still have a cruise, make that two cruises (for the wife) to pay for, plus my newly acquired Vizio PQ759 Quantum. Oh and in the photography realm, I’m going for my new Canon EOS 6D, Mik II DSLR late in August.

But I’m wanting a UB9000 in the future.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
My only issue with this player, and it is a doozy is that a lot of my old DVD titles don’t have the time display info in either screen status, or on unit display window. I’m talking a ton of my TV on DVD titles. Just a blank lines in the on screen status, and “play” on the unit window itself instead of time readout.

Works great for everything else, as it should.
It is a feature even the most basic DVD, and BD players normally have. Shocking.
Is this an MPEG-2 issue?

Sigh, I might have to get that Pioneer LX500 after all.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
There's a new firmware update (version 1.60) for the UB9000 (released a couple of days ago). Sadly, it does NOT correct the auto shutoff after 20 minutes on pause. It does NOT add any settings option to change the auto shutoff behavior. The player still shuts off after 20 minutes. If the disc in the player has the disc-based resume feature, the player will start over at the paused spot once it wakes back up after the play button on the remote is pressed. But if the disc doesn't have disc-based resume, the UB9000 just reloads the very start of the disc (menu, trailers, etc) after auto shutoff (after a measly 20 minutes on pause).

Grrrr....

Mark

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have had the Panasonic UB9000 for about the end of May and I have been watching everything from DVD, 1080p Blu-ray to 4K Blu-ray in this player. The build quality is amazing and the unit is very quite. I have actually not had that problem with the player shutting off but I have not had the player paused for any length of time. I would highly recommend this player to anyone looking for a high end player for there home theater and especially if you have an OLED TV! I personally have yet to experience a minus with this player and it is in the beginning of the chain which for me is rock solid!

Panasonic UB9000 4K Blu-ray Player
Marantz SR-8012 11 Channel Surround Sound Receiver
Sony XDR55A9F 55" 4K OLED TV

IMG_2519a.jpg

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
I also have not had one issue since I have had this player. I recently tried a pioneer lx500 witch also had a great build and picture quality but had freeze ups and audio drops from the get go even after its recent update, and I was able to return it. I did have a bit of stutter with Amazon Prime but a small adjustment on my OLED stopped it.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
There's a new firmware update (version 1.60) for the UB9000 (released a couple of days ago). Sadly, it does NOT correct the auto shutoff after 20 minutes on pause. It does NOT add any settings option to change the auto shutoff behavior. The player still shuts off after 20 minutes. If the disc in the player has the disc-based resume feature, the player will start over at the paused spot once it wakes back up after the play button on the remote is pressed. But if the disc doesn't have disc-based resume, the UB9000 just reloads the very start of the disc (menu, trailers, etc) after auto shutoff (after a measly 20 minutes on pause).

Grrrr....

Mark

There has to be a service menu that can be activated through a sequence of button codes or something. There is no way that "auto off" cannot be canceled. I'm not sure why the solution hasn't been exploited yet, but I know it is there somewhere.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Thanks Dave, this ^^ is very valuable information!!

Two new items:

1st, just put our exclusive .pdf technical spec document on all of the audio features and technical and behind the scenes information on the UB9000.

2nd, to help our new UB9000 owners get the most out of their a/v system we're gifting all new customers with Spears & Munsil's new 10bit disc.

Reactions: PMF

William06

Agent
Real Name
Robert mallis
How to turn off the "Auto Off" function.

As a factory default, this unit will turn to standby mode automatically if there is no sound and it is not being used for approximately 20 minutes.

To cancel this function

1. Press [SETUP] repeatedly to select “AUTO OFF”.
  2. Press ◄ / ► to select “OFF” and then press [OK].

Note:

• To turn the function on, select “ON” in step 2.
  • This setting cannot be selected when radio is the source.
  • When connected to a Bluetooth® device, the function does not work.
  • SC-PMX150 - This setting cannot be selected when radio is the source or when “Net Standby” is “On”. If “Net Standby” is set to “On”, this function will also be set to “On”. To change the setting, set “Net Standby” to “Off”.
Tried this just keeps bringing me to hdmi/ color mode / advanced settings and back to color mode what am. I missing

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

As a factory default, this unit will turn to standby mode automatically if there is no sound and it is not being used for approximately 20 minutes.

To cancel this function

Note:

• SC-PMX150 - This setting cannot be selected when radio is the source or when “Net Standby” is “On”. If “Net Standby” is set to “On”, this function will also be set to “On”. To change the setting, set “Net Standby” to “Off”.

Thanks Dave. I’ll try this when I get home later today. Given that William wasn’t successful, Is it possible the player must be in service mode before you can make this change? If so, how do we put it in service mode?

Mark

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member

To cancel this function

Note:

I'm having the same experience as William. First of all, there isn't any [SETUP] button on the remote. The only [SETUP] I can find is the one in the home menu of the player. Pressing it repeatedly only ends up accessing the same group of settings that William mentions. I've checked all of the settings in every menu (including Advanced) and can't find ANYTHING that remotely resembles "Auto Off".

Based on the comment in the instructions about "no sound" and the reference to the SC-PMX150 (which is a CD player), I suspect these instructions are for other Panasonic products. Dave, I hope you can prove me wrong.

Mark

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Yeah, that doesn't sound like the UB9000 to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks