What's new

Mike Frezon

Premium
I am NOT an owner of this unit. I own an Oppo-203.

I've also got two large Golden Retrievers in my house.

I recently had to send the Oppo in for servicing (it had stopped reading CDs. All other discs played fine.). It turns out that dog hair had invaded the disc drawer and was causing issues for the laser. It needed a good cleaning.

I had dug out an older Pioneer Elite 62-FD to use while my Oppo was on vacation in CA. It's drawer was being rather balky and noisy when opening and closing. I took matters into my own hands and opened the chassis and found similar issues with grime and dog hair. A decent cleaning by me and the drawer started working normally.

The open case:

full

Details of the culprit:

full

Not sure if your issues are the same, but your description sounds very similar to my issues with the 62-FD.

Good luck.

Kaskade1309

Screenwriter
Real Name
S
If the noise( which is not normal) bothers you, either sell the unit, or have it serviced from Panasonic if that is an option. That is not unhelpful criticism. That is good advice.
I somehow knew it would be you that would single this paragraph out after the lashing you gave me on here about being bullied and banned from that cancerous, vile site I can't even mention by name. This is precisely the unhelpful "advice" I am referring to, and I should have put you on my ignore list after you called me out for being banned from somewhere of which you had absolutely no idea what you were talking about or what circumstances were involved with the shithead moderators and administrators over there...but I'm remedying that right now.

Ignore list updated.

Kaskade1309

Screenwriter
Real Name
S
Doesn’t sound normal from all the user threads I’ve lurked on at the British and US FORUMS. Id be contacting either the seller or Panasonic . Maybe an easy fix with some lithium grease/ machine oil on the rails.

liberty electronics in the USA sell many blu ray lasers. They also sell the oil. They are on eBay. Of course , it goes without saying, if you decide to fix it yourself , never ever look at the laser

what you are hearing is not normal

Funny you mentioned UK forums because there is another owner on AVForums.com who swears he has heard the EXACT same noise I'm hearing from day one with his UB9000 -- and that's a UK-based discussion forum. I have also read comments from people over at AVS in their dedicated thread for the player -- including the thread starter whom I quoted above -- who say this "sand caught in the gears" sound is apparently normal for this model (after they reached out to Panasonic techs).

I was just wondering if anyone here hears this with their 9000.

I don't see how this unit can need grease on the rails because it was making the noise out of the box; I also bought the unit from Best Buy and they are useless in terms of contact or post-sale help. The unit is also out of warranty (it's only good for 90 days, which is ridiculous).

Here's what a member on AVForums said about his 9000:

As far as noises, yes it makes noises when starting up and closing the tray. Has been that way since I got it, unlike my OPPO 203 which is perfectly silent.

When I described the sound to him, this is what he replied with:

That's the noise I am hearing. Been that way since I have owned it.

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Screenwriter
Real Name
S
I am NOT an owner of this unit. I own an Oppo-203.

I've also got two large Golden Retrievers in my house.

I recently had to send the Oppo in for servicing (it had stopped reading CDs. All other discs played fine.). It turns out that dog hair had invaded the disc drawer and was causing issues for the laser. It needed a good cleaning.

I had dug out an older Pioneer Elite 62-FD to use while my Oppo was on vacation in CA. It's drawer was being rather balky and noisy when opening and closing. I took matters into my own hands and opened the chassis and found similar issues with grime and dog hair. A decent cleaning by me and the drawer started working normally.

The open case:

full

Details of the culprit:

full

Not sure if your issues are the same, but your description sounds very similar to my issues with the 62-FD.

Good luck.
Thanks.

I don't think there could have been any buildup of hair or debris, though, in this case because the noise was occurring out of the box since the day I got the unit. We do have a dog in the house, too, but she is a Chihuahua/Corgi mix and doesn't shed like that.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I somehow knew it would be you that would single this paragraph out after the lashing you gave me on here about being bullied and banned from that cancerous, vile site I can't even mention by name. This is precisely the unhelpful "advice" I am referring to, and I should have put you on my ignore list after you called me out for being banned from somewhere of which you had absolutely no idea what you were talking about or what circumstances were involved with the shithead moderators and administrators over there...but I'm remedying that right now.

Ignore list updated.
So,
Over 50 pages (not sentences) of complaints or issues you have been hounding other members on multiple home media sites about issues you are experiencing.
99% of which have no idea what is causing the issues, so they gave you the same answer I replied to you above. Get it serviced, or sell it if it is an issue that bothers you so much.

You harp on it over, and over again and never let it go. And when you have exhausted the patience of other forum members you pull the hostility routine, and become combative toward other members (including Robert Zohn, who was nothing but nice to you) when all they have done is try and help you with your dilemma.

I love this player, and visited other home theater sites to learn more about it, and at every turn, there you are again in multiple threads, and forums smothering the conversation, and making it about your supposed problems with the player.
Now you are here on HTF bringing up the same questions and the same cycle will repeat itself.
It is weird to say the least.
At any rate now that I'm on your ignore list I'll return the favor.

Last edited:

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Funny you mentioned UK forums because there is another owner on AVForums.com who swears he has heard the EXACT same noise I'm hearing from day one with his UB9000 -- and that's a UK-based discussion forum. I have also read comments from people over at AVS in their dedicated thread for the player -- including the thread starter whom I quoted above -- who say this "sand caught in the gears" sound is apparently normal for this model (after they reached out to Panasonic techs).

I was just wondering if anyone here hears this with their 9000.

I don't see how this unit can need grease on the rails because it was making the noise out of the box; I also bought the unit from Best Buy and they are useless in terms of contact or post-sale help. The unit is also out of warranty (it's only good for 90 days, which is ridiculous).

Here's what a member on AVForums said about his 9000:

As far as noises, yes it makes noises when starting up and closing the tray. Has been that way since I got it, unlike my OPPO 203 which is perfectly silent.

When I described the sound to him, this is what he replied with:

That's the noise I am hearing. Been that way since I have owned it.

ahhh out of the box . My apologies I thought it was a recent development

Kaskade1309

Screenwriter
Real Name
S
ahhh out of the box . My apologies I thought it was a recent development
Yeah, no this has been from day one -- that's precisely the reason I shared that comment from the other owner on the UK site. I'm thinking some of these were sold with drive units that were "rough" or not balanced too well, because that's what I have been hearing.

Kaskade1309

Screenwriter
Real Name
S
what you are hearing is not normal

Some replies from elsewhere:

1. How does everyone else's disc drawer sound when it's opening and closing? Mine makes some light clicking noises and sounds kind of labored. I had a 205 before this and the drawer was smooth and quiet.

2. Mine sounds the same, it’s a weird sound but appears to be normal. Prob extra annoying to me though considering I’ve been using a Pioneer LX500 since Oct which has the quietest draw opening and closing of any player I’ve ever had.

3. Yes, my drawer is a little loud but only when opening and closing. Not sure I would describe it as ticking, but it is rather noticeable and surprising. I have noticed that sometimes it's quiet too.

Last edited:

Kaskade1309

Screenwriter
Real Name
S
Any news of the Chinese firmware finally being available to rest of the world ?
I also just came across this comment from someone who just bought the unit via Crutchfield a few days ago:

Disk tray is a little scratchy and squeaky and I feel the need to get in there and oil it

Real Name
Chris
Any complaints about this player would be nitpicking.

This first disc I inserted was THX 1138. The more spacious sound was obvious. The more meticulously constructed soundtracks really take off.

One of the best of the sub-features on this player is the "Night Surround" mode, accessible from the "SOUND EFFECT" button at the bottom of the remote.

On OLED, the picture is as good as it gets. All the audio options really finish out the package.

It's been a long time since I owned a deck of electronics that didn't move when you poked a button.

Thanks, Panasonic and Robert Zohn at Value Electronics!

Kaskade1309

Screenwriter
Real Name
S
Either I DID receive a bad unit or something I'm doing is causing these players' disc drawers to get whacky on me (because this is the second UHD disc player in a row to exhibit some kind of noise issue near the disc drive/drawer area in my setup, and it's too weird to be a coincidence at this point).

I'll explain regarding my "something I'm doing" comment in a moment.

My UB9000 is continuing to exhibit an audible and clear "roughness" when opening and closing its tray, and this has gotten progressively worse, to the point that I am now hearing, after just about every disc played, a "bumping shudder" as the drawer is closing. It's difficult to describe, but it almost sounds as if something is in the way of the loading rail that the drawer slides on, kind of blocking it a bit. Nothing seems to be physically blocking the drawer -- it doesn't hit a certain point and then open back up again, or anything like that -- but there is a distinct noise now that's almost like a "bump" in the tray mechanism as it's slamming shut.

Now, here's the thing: My previous (and first) UHD Blu-ray player, a Cambridge Audio CXUHD, developed a "ticking" noise that was audible from our seating distance of 12 feet from around the disc drive/drawer area -- but it ONLY occurred when viewing DVD media, nothing else. I sent the player to the repair center under warranty three times, and during the first of these returns, the drive mechanism was completely swapped out for a "new" one. The noise never went away, and the repair center could not explain it.

That's, essentially, why I bought the UB9000; we boxed up the Cambridge and kept it as a backup unit (we were gonna sell it but decided against it because I know, at some point, we're going to need a backup player once the Panasonic fails).

What's the common element between the two players? They both exhibit noise around the disc drawer, and they both have been regularly maintained by me running a Maxell laser lens cleaning disc through them -- but one which claims to use no harsh brushes, so it won't damage the laser head.

Here's what it looks like:

1617834430303.png

Now, supposedly, this product uses a brushless "wind funnel" system that simply blows away any dust from the lens, so I assumed it was safe. I am now beginning to think that maybe this is the culprit of the noise I'm experiencing with the two players, because it's too much of a coincidence for BOTH brand new machines to develop noise around the disc drawers.

Is it remotely possible that this cleaning disc is spinning at such a speed or in such a way that it's throwing the alignment of these players' loaders/drawers off? Is there something else in it that could possibly affect the integrity of a player's disc drive? Should I continue using it, or should I avoid it at this point?

I'm trying to think of ANYTHING that may be causing the noise I'm now hearing on my UB9000; of course, it is always possible that my luck is simply shit with these players, but to have two back-to-back that developed noise around the drawers doesn't seem like a coincidence to me.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Any complaints about this player would be nitpicking.

I don't actually have this player, but seems to me any such disc player costing this kind of $$$ should stand to be nitpicked at least a little, especially for something that doesn't seem to be an issue on the vast majority of players costing 1/2 as much or less, no?

I certainly wouldn't appreciate such an issue on a $1K player myself -- and it doesn't even play all high quality disc formats that many (spending that kind of $$$) might want, eg. no support for SACD.

Now, I'm not saying don't buy it or anything like that. But if someone has such an issue and wants to get it resolved, I don't see why others feel a need to call that "nitpicking". Sure, maybe it simply can't be resolved to his satisfaction for whatever reason, but it certainly doesn't seem to me like he's expressing unreasonable expectations for wanting it resolved on such an expensive player...

IF it were my $$$, I'd just pass on this player even w/out this particular issue -- yep, I'd expect good SACD support if I'm going to spend $1K-plus for a disc player...

_Man_

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thegekko77
Recent bookmarks