What's new

A Few Words About A few words about... The Nun's Story (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
David Lean would occasionally speak respectfully of "the three foreigners" and the American, all of whom were his personal favorite filmmakers.

The "foreigners" were Billy Wilder, William Wyler and Fred Zinnemann. The lone American was George Stevens.

When a DVD of a film directed by any of these gentlemen is released I take notice.

And this week's arrival of Mr. Zinnemann's The Nun's Story is no exception.

Nearly half a century old, The Nun's Story still delivers the thoughtful punch that it did when first released.

Warner's new DVD, which appears to be derived from protection separation masters, looks as it should. With the exception of the Main Titles and a handful of dupes which look a generation too far from original (which they are) the film is beautifully rendered to DVD.

I noted a few specks here and there, all much more than acceptable for a film of this age, and its lack of original elements. Precisely the opposite of Sony's Capote, which gives "dirty pictures" a new meaning.

The Nun's Story is a brilliant film which earned eight Academy Award nominations. For those afraid of religious epics...

This isn't one. Ms. Hepburn, along with her supporting cast, is pitch perfect.

Very Highly Recommended.

RAH

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yay! Another one for the Hepburn collection! Glad to hear the PQ is up to snuff.

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
I think Story contains Audrey Hepburn's best dramatic work. She definitely gets into her character and forgos her "stylish" personna found in many of her films (Hepburn won the New York Film Critic's Award for Best Actress for her performance).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks