1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

UHD Review A few words about...™ Apocalypse Now Final Cut -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Robert Harris, Aug 30, 2019.

1. OliverK

OliverK Producer

But we are also getting HDR with a movie that never had it ;)

The good thing about audio is that one can have multiple mixes with one video stream so as long as I get something reasonably close to the best original sound mix I am happy if 3D sound aficionados get their fix with a 3D sound mix with the maximum number of channels possible.

2. Patrick Hannon

Patrick E Hannon
    I received my copy of Apocalypse Now from the US a few days ago. I have not watched it, but I did check it out on my SONY X800. When I checked out the Dialogue Norm setting...on a Yamaha 1030....it was reading as -3! (Reference, or no Dial norm, reads as +4)

I have not seen any comments about low volume on the discs, unless I missed them, just comments on the great sound. This value shows a volume 7dB lower than reference, so I would think an increase in volume would be required. I have noted most new Disney Atmos discs have a dial norm value of 0 on the Yamaha......which means 4db below reference......and everyone refers to needing volume increases on these discs.

I was wondering if the volume level on Apocalypse Now is actually that low.....or is the Yamaha reading it incorrectly?

Thanks,
    phannon

3. Message #63 of 65 Sep 15, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    My version arrived late yesterday evening and it is a bit differently packaged to the US set. For a start, all 6 discs are in a long cardboard fold out and all discs have the same Sheen/Brando reflection. The back has the same 'temple style head' on one side whilst the other has a sunset with a swarm of helicopters. Our set's packaging is missing the PBR boat images, although these appear as a background image to the menu of the 6th disc.

Britton likes this.
  4. Britton

Britton Screenwriter

Interesting find over at Blu-ray.com concerning dialogue that was altered for Redux and shows up on the Atmos mix of The Theatrical Cut and The Final Cut: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16841794&postcount=2920

Long story short, looks like this alteration was also present on The Full Disclosure Edition, and the original line is only on the Blu-ray copy that comes with The Final Cut cut because it has an option for the Original 1979 Restored Audio Track. It puzzles me why that track is only on the Blu-ray and not an option on the 4K Blu-ray.

5. JoshZ

JoshZ Supporting Actor

Joshua Zyber
    A low DialNorm setting does not necessarily mean that anything is wrong with the audio. When used correctly, it means that the soundtrack has a lot of dynamic range and requires a lower baseline volume for dialogue in order to leave extra headroom so you don't get clipping on the louder parts of the track.

The issues Disney has are actually unrelated to DialNorm. They've been compressing the dynamic range on their soundtracks. This problem isn't exclusive to Atmos. The DTS-HD MA tracks on their Blu-ray releases are also affected, and DTS doesn't use DialNorm.