What's new

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Considering how this forum complains about the lack of "original mixes" every chance it gets, color me surprised over seeing moans about the lack of height channels in a film that never had them in the first place.

But we are also getting HDR with a movie that never had it ;)

The good thing about audio is that one can have multiple mixes with one video stream so as long as I get something reasonably close to the best original sound mix I am happy if 3D sound aficionados get their fix with a 3D sound mix with the maximum number of channels possible.

Real Name
Patrick E Hannon
I received my copy of Apocalypse Now from the US a few days ago. I have not watched it, but I did check it out on my SONY X800. When I checked out the Dialogue Norm setting...on a Yamaha 1030....it was reading as -3! (Reference, or no Dial norm, reads as +4)

I have not seen any comments about low volume on the discs, unless I missed them, just comments on the great sound. This value shows a volume 7dB lower than reference, so I would think an increase in volume would be required. I have noted most new Disney Atmos discs have a dial norm value of 0 on the Yamaha......which means 4db below reference......and everyone refers to needing volume increases on these discs.

I was wondering if the volume level on Apocalypse Now is actually that low.....or is the Yamaha reading it incorrectly?

Thanks,
phannon

KeithDA

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Keith
My version arrived late yesterday evening and it is a bit differently packaged to the US set. For a start, all 6 discs are in a long cardboard fold out and all discs have the same Sheen/Brando reflection. The back has the same 'temple style head' on one side whilst the other has a sunset with a swarm of helicopters. Our set's packaging is missing the PBR boat images, although these appear as a background image to the menu of the 6th disc.

Last edited:

Britton

Screenwriter
Interesting find over at Blu-ray.com concerning dialogue that was altered for Redux and shows up on the Atmos mix of The Theatrical Cut and The Final Cut: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16841794&postcount=2920

Long story short, looks like this alteration was also present on The Full Disclosure Edition, and the original line is only on the Blu-ray copy that comes with The Final Cut cut because it has an option for the Original 1979 Restored Audio Track. It puzzles me why that track is only on the Blu-ray and not an option on the 4K Blu-ray.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I received my copy of Apocalypse Now from the US a few days ago. I have not watched it, but I did check it out on my SONY X800. When I checked out the Dialogue Norm setting...on a Yamaha 1030....it was reading as -3! (Reference, or no Dial norm, reads as +4)

I have not seen any comments about low volume on the discs, unless I missed them, just comments on the great sound. This value shows a volume 7dB lower than reference, so I would think an increase in volume would be required. I have noted most new Disney Atmos discs have a dial norm value of 0 on the Yamaha......which means 4db below reference......and everyone refers to needing volume increases on these discs.

I was wondering if the volume level on Apocalypse Now is actually that low.....or is the Yamaha reading it incorrectly?

A low DialNorm setting does not necessarily mean that anything is wrong with the audio. When used correctly, it means that the soundtrack has a lot of dynamic range and requires a lower baseline volume for dialogue in order to leave extra headroom so you don't get clipping on the louder parts of the track.

The issues Disney has are actually unrelated to DialNorm. They've been compressing the dynamic range on their soundtracks. This problem isn't exclusive to Atmos. The DTS-HD MA tracks on their Blu-ray releases are also affected, and DTS doesn't use DialNorm.

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this as a DCP at the Cinerama Dome, Hollywood. I got the impression during the temple scenes with Brando that the projector system there didn't really do HDR, as the blacks around Brando were milky.

Can DCP do Rec.2020? Can IMAX do Rec.2020? The blacks in the laser IMAX presentation I saw weren't milky. But is there anything in an IMAX digital master that a 4K DCP can't do? 12-channel audio? But anything picture-wise? Is it just that the Cinerama Dome needs a laser projector to deliver the full extent of what is in the 4K DCP?

Chuck_Kahn

Stunt Coordinator
One that made me nervous so far was the opening shot. As much as the video on this is being praised, I think the opening shot looks pretty lousy, the sky reminded me of the snow on old television sets that weren’t receiving a signal. And the when all the smoke came in that looked problematic as well. I was worried there was something wrong with my display (LG OLED, Oppo UHD player). Checked it on my Samsung 4K display and looked the same there as well, so I was somewhat relieved. But anyone else noticing this?

It looked that way in the IMAX presentation as well. The opening shot is some heavy optical work, as it superimposes a series of images together using 1979 optical technology. I can't imagine any restoration team going back to the camera negative and trying to re-create this using 2019 digital technology as this has a number of very specific timing and positioning variables in play. It might be fun to try but that would become a 2019 re-interpretation of a 1979 artistic intent. So we are seeing a scan of an internegative of the optical, which is a few generations removed from the camera neg.

Britton

Screenwriter
Anyone else hear a pop or blip in the sound at the 2:05:49 mark of the Theatrical Cut 4k disc? I am playing it on a Panasonic UB820 with latest firmware 1.60. I first heard it on my speakers through a Denon 3808CI AV Receiver, so I removed the receiver from the equation and also heard it when I played it directly to my tv speakers.

I guess it's an issue with the branching? So far that is the only repeatable audio glitch I have encountered. I do not hear it during that same scene on the Redux version 4k (same disc that has the theatrical cut).

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Interesting find over at Blu-ray.com concerning dialogue that was altered for Redux and shows up on the Atmos mix of The Theatrical Cut and The Final Cut: https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16841794&postcount=2920

Long story short, looks like this alteration was also present on The Full Disclosure Edition, and the original line is only on the Blu-ray copy that comes with The Final Cut cut because it has an option for the Original 1979 Restored Audio Track. It puzzles me why that track is only on the Blu-ray and not an option on the 4K Blu-ray.

Most likely a branching error. It probably got missed during the preparation of the branching points for the original Blu-ray and was then grandfathered into the new one.

It's a small thing, but definitely annoying.

Britton

Screenwriter
Most likely a branching error. It probably got missed during the preparation of the branching points for the original Blu-ray and was then grandfathered into the new one.

It's a small thing, but definitely annoying.

I assume you’re referring to the line from Redux during the bridge scene and not the audio glitch I’m hearing in the Kurtz scenes?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I assume you’re referring to the line from Redux during the bridge scene and not the audio glitch I’m hearing in the Kurtz scenes?

Yes. Sorry; I know the post was a while ago.

I actually haven't noticed any audio glitches, but of course that doesn't mean they're not there.

Britton

Screenwriter
The theatrical cut was $6.99 on iTunes, so I bought it. 4K with Dolby Vision and Atmos. It doesn’t have the audio glitch that the disc has at 2:05:49 and it has Willard’s original line when he gets off the boat during the Do Lung Bridge scene.

This will be my go to version despite the sound being Dolby Digital Plus. It’s the only true version of the theatrical cut in 4K.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I first saw this film at the Hollywood Cinerama Dome. I think it was after Cannes but before the actual release.
The film had no titles, and an usher handed out programs to those of us standing in line. I still have mine. A two page foldout with film credits basically.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Does the "Final Cut" 4K set have the same supplements ported over from the "Complete Dossier" set in addition to new supplements?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Does the "Final Cut" 4K set have the same supplements ported over from the "Complete Dossier" set in addition to new supplements?
I’ve lost track in regards to this question, but the 4K/UHD is a must, in and of itself.

Paul Bosquet

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
From The Digital Bits:

So let’s talk about what’s NOT included here. Obviously, the 48-page booklet is missing from the Full Disclosure Edition. From the Complete Dossier Edition DVD, the brief video intro by Coppola and the Easter egg are gone. From the Redux DVD, the Redux trailer is missing. From the original theatrical cut DVD, the Destruction of the Kurtz Compound footage has carried over (now in HD), but while the DVD had it without text credits and with optional Coppola commentary, this set has it with the original credit text and commentary only – a very minor loss, but still worth mentioning. And finally, from Paramount’s Hearts of Darkness documentary DVD, the 62-minute Coda documentary is gone. But that was about the making of Coppola’s Youth Without Youth and not this film, so it’s not really relevant. (I only mention it here because Coda was also missing from Sony’s Youth Without Youth Blu-ray too. So if you wish to retain any of those bonuses, be sure to keep the DVDs and/or Blu-rays in question.) Overall, the missing content is quite minor.​

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It has the same exact extras disc as Full Disclosure which means the Complete Dossier extras are still incorrectly encoded with stereo audio only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks