What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My OPPO 203 does not play the 4K discs properly. All blacks show up as crimson. I had to watch the digital copy to see Dolby Vision, but lost the Atmos in the process, as my TV does not pass Atmos. This seems to be a problem with all Paramount 4K discs, as A Star Is Born had the same problem. Is anyone else with an OPPO experiencing this?

Do you have the latest firmware?

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
My OPPO 203 does not play the 4K discs properly. All blacks show up as crimson. I had to watch the digital copy to see Dolby Vision, but lost the Atmos in the process, as my TV does not pass Atmos. This seems to be a problem with all Paramount 4K discs, as A Star Is Born had the same problem. Is anyone else with an OPPO experiencing this?
Correction. I know its Lionsgate now (and WB). I was living in a Paramount past, but I have this problem with both of those 4K discs, regardless of label

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It might be a HDMI anomaly between your player and the rest of your equipment. Try a different HDMI cord and then shut off each piece of equipment before rebooting again.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Yeah its B-Roll from the Napalm Drop. That opening shot's looked lousy on every home video release. Its deficiencies exist on a film level.

Noticed a similar look in the sky on the morning after shot of the USO show when the stage was being cleaned up

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Lots of opticals, especially during the opening scene, and as I recall, the grain spikes and flows a bit. I can testify the film has always looked like that, as I was sitting in the front row center at the Ziegfeld for the first show on opening day. Those were the only seats that were left. It happened to be my birthday, and I wasn't going to miss seeing this, no matter how close to the screen I was. In fact, since this was a 70mm blow-up (for the multi-channel mag sound) the grain was even more pronounced.

And yes, the color was unlike anything I've ever seen before or since, making FANTASIA look positively glum by comparison. I particularly remember the scene in the jungle with the tiger, where the greens and yellows and blues seem to take on a life of their own, overpowering the actors in the scene as well as the narrative. And no, all the other iterations I've seen on home video, and including the screening in IMAX of REDUX back in the early 90's I think, which I believe was also a 70mm blow-up, didn't come close.

Going back to that first screening at the Ziegfeld, I will say that sitting in the front row, the surround sounds, in particular that synthesizer-treated helicopter, seemed more pronounced. There were stereo surround speakers on both ends of the screen, and it was really loud, yet dynamic for you could hear the quieter background noise of the jungle mixed in. A magnificent track, and if this 4K looks and sounds half as good as Mr. Harris says it does, this is going to be quite a treat.

I had another thought on this opening shot--could it be a blow-up of the negative? The framing of it seems odd to me, in the sense that if I was actually shooting it, I probably would've gone wider, especially if it was b-roll. The way it is framed now it does have a very surreal look to it. So, if it was a blow-up of the original footage, that would explain the very noticeable grain. Just a thought after watching it again last night.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
There is no mystery to the grain in the opening shot - it is simply a byproduct of the stocks at the time and the opticals, as confirmed by Mr. Harris. That rust coloured grain was also present in the original prints of The Empire Strikes Back, during the opening scenes in the snow which were also full of opticals. I believe this anomaly was also present in the earliest video versions as well.

bugsy-pal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I recently had an issue with a couple of Paramount 4K discs on my Panasonic $k player. When I popped them in, the blacks were looking grey, and the whole picture was looking washed out. This was despite other 4K discs looking rich and full of contrast.

After messing around with player settings, it was only when I changed the picture profile on my Sony TV that it all popped back into normality. I switched from the 'Standard' picture profile to one of the others ('Cinema Pro', I think), and it all looked wonderful.

BlakeLB

Auditioning
Real Name
Blake Blasingame
I’m seeing zero problems, in projection. Looks like an EK print, as what you’re seeing is the camera neg. Keep in mind, that there are Opticals.

Most of the opticals including the opening shot are 5243 Kodak IN stock, though some are 5249 Kodak CRI. The opening shot looks rather unremarkable on a large format screen like IMAX. The rest is nearly flawless.

Scanned at 16 bit 4K resolution on a Lasergraphics Director 4K. 2720 hours of restoration. First time the audio was captured from the 6 track print master at 24bit 96k. Every other home video release prior was heard at 16 bit 44.1k. The higher fidelity allows sound effects such as rain to sound crisper than before. Color corrected on a Sony X300 monitor in Dolby Vision. All deliverables were derived from the 1000nit Dolby HDR grade. DCI and IMAX at 48 nits, Dolby Laser at 108 nits, and BluRay at 100 nits.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I had to go into my receiver and set the audio delay to 200ms to compensate for extreme lip-sync issues. Coppola’s introduction looked like a bad chop-socky movie, and the feature itself was no better. My receiver was set to like 60ms or so up to this point.

No crimson/pink issues with my Oppo 203, though it did substitute The Doors with Katy Perry...

Last edited:

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I've read about sync problems on another forum, as well. I don't have the set yet as I'm currently UHD-playerless.

Vincent

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As am I, but I may pick it up since it also includes the BD versions.

My problem is that I saw Final Cut and I like it the least of the three versions so I don’t have an immediate incentive to purchase. And the previous Blu-ray was still pretty good.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I saw this at the Ziegfeld opening week ( the line was wrapped around 6th Avenue from 54th st to 55th St- in its original cut without the explosions over end credits. The theater gave out a beautiful glossy one fold hand out that had the credits. Unfortunately I had put the hand out in the soundtrack LP and got rid of all my vinyl in the late ‘90s.
I went back to see it 2 more times. I must admit that this was a very “trippy” film experience much like 2001 as many were smoking weed outside before entering- myself included. The only other film I saw 3 times in its original run was The Empire Strikes Back.
I didn’t really care for the Redux version as the pacing dragged but thought it was informative. Looking forward to seeing it- arrived Saturday- Amazon.

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
I didn’t really care for the Redux version as the pacing dragged but thought it was informative.

I concur. My first viewing of the film was the Redux version. When I saw the original theatrical cut years later, it was a revelation--briskly plotted and dynamic. Of course, knowing what was in the Redux version probably increased my satisfaction with the original, given that some of the plot points are glossed over. In any case, it's a shame that we couldn't have a 4K version of the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks