What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I acquired a U.K. 16mm dye transfer print c. 1976-7, which ended up at the Academy.

However, the major experience for me was viewing a newly created (by Mr. Crisp) print, with Mr. Cardiff seated to my right, and sharing discrete production notes throughout.

Now comes the new Blu, beautifully restored by Columbia, and surpassing everything that I had previously seen in quality.

This is what the magic of home theater can be about.

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Watched mine this morning. First time viewing the film. That is about as effective a first five minutes at pulling you into a movie as I can remember.
And pretty shamelessly ripped off for the first Captain America.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
I acquired a U.K. 16mm dye transfer print c. 1976-7, which ended up at the Academy.

However, the major experience for me was viewing a newly created (by Mr. Crisp) print, with Mr. Cardiff seated to my right, and sharing discrete production notes throughout.

Now comes the new Blu, beautifully restored by Columbia, and surpassing everything that I had previously seen in quality..

That might well be the highest authoritative praise I’ve yet seen for any title on Blu.

...and to Mr Harris: what a thrill to have worked so closely with so many leading lights in this unique field of creativity - and they, you.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
A hour or two after I saw some of the new Blu-ray release I was watching tv and saw The Red Shoes being shown on the MGM HD channel....in full 16:9 format!! The folks running that channel should have broadcast it in it's correct aspect ratio. Quickly changed the channel on my remote!

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The half-hour analysis by Thelma Schoonmaker on the disc is excellent as well. Having someone who is a brilliant filmmaker in her own right, a deep fan of the work, and so uniquely personally close to the creators, is brilliant. She has been an excellent advocate for her husband's work, and an articulate academic about them.

And pretty shamelessly ripped off for the first Captain America.
Hey, if you're gonna steal, steal from the best!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I can't begin to describe the absolute thrill I experienced at seeing this marvelous film in the stupendously magnificent quality afforded us in this release. And the film's effectiveness was greatly enhanced by its perfect visual and audio presentation. What a wonderful achievement both then in its original production and now with this stunning transfer!

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I can't begin to describe the absolute thrill I experienced at seeing this marvelous film in the stupendously magnificent quality afforded us in this release. And the film's effectiveness was greatly enhanced by its perfect visual and audio presentation. What a wonderful achievement both then in its original production and now with this stunning transfer!

I'd like to add how solid and neutral looking all the black and white scenes looked. Very nice, the gray scale tracking of my display is one of my requirements for excellence since I watch a lot of black and white films.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I concur the video and audio presentations on this disc are just outstanding.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I feel almost as if I'm going to need to hand in my HTF card after delivering this report.

Peg and I watched A Matter of Life and Death last night. For each of us, it was our first time viewing the film.

And neither one of us liked it a whole lot.

I told her how universally beloved the film was among the HTF elite. But she got bored quickly and lost interest...but also toughed it out to the end. She told me she appreciated the filmmaker's efforts to tell the story in a much-less-than-conventional-way to show what was going on in his mind). But she is just not a fan of fantasy films and surrealism. So the film didn't hold her interest.

I really appreciated how good the film looked. I saw quite a lot I liked. And I liked all of the historical references in the film. But I didn't find the plot all that compelling and found it rather predictable. But, that's me. And I might give it a second try sometime and find I enjoy it more the second time around.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I really appreciated how good the film looked. I saw quite a lot I liked. And I liked all of the historical references in the film. But I didn't find the plot all that compelling and found it rather predictable. But, that's me. And I might give it a second try sometime and find I enjoy it more the second time around.

I'd suggest listening to the audio commentary. It's a model of its kind for pointing out the filming techniques, narrative structure, design and also the cultural context and references of a film. I already loved the film since first seeing it in on TV in BW decades ago, but it enhanced my understanding and appreciation of it immensely, not to mention being fascinating and engaging on its own.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The film got me in the opening scene as the two strangers meet and basically fall in love over the radio communication as he spends his last moments (he thinks) on Earth (this only works because of the brilliant performances of the two leading actors). From then on, they had me won over cheering them on as they fought valiantly for their love to sustain. And because of the brilliant nature of the story's construction, it plays as both a fantasy (a legal fight in heaven for his life) and as reality (a brain defect giving him hallucinations which might possibly be corrected by a delicate and difficult surgery). And the final masterstroke: God in heaven supervising the trial is also the surgeon operating on the sick man supervising his operation.

A masterpiece in my opinion. But that's just me.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The film got me in the opening scene as the two strangers meet and basically fall in love over the radio communication as he spends his last moments (he thinks) on Earth (this only works because of the brilliant performances of the two leading actors). From then on, they had me won over cheering them on as they fought valiantly for their love to sustain. And because of the brilliant nature of the story's construction, it plays as both a fantasy (a legal fight in heaven for his life) and as reality (a brain defect giving him hallucinations which might possibly be corrected by a delicate and difficult surgery). And the final masterstroke: God in heaven supervising the trial is also the surgeon operating on the sick man supervising his operation.

A masterpiece in my opinion. But that's just me.
This!

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I watched it yesterday with a friend who normally isn't drawn to older movies but who appreciates the fantasy genre and lists "Defending Your Life" as one of his favorite films. He was astonished at how masterful it was in all respects, with comments like, "So ahead of its time!". He wasn't familiar with the works of Powell and Pressburger and pressed me for information on who they were and what else they had done. I love sharing classic films with those who I think will appreciate them.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Thanks to everyone for posting your comments here. I have pretty much stopped buying discs this year, due to several boring reasons I won't go into here.

But, you convinced me to buy this one. I was unfamiliar with it, but became a P&P fan after enjoying the blu-rays of The Red Shoes, Colonel Blimp, and Black Narcissus.

I watched the disc and most of the extras over the weekend absolutely love it! Thanks again.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
I do enjoy the way we all disagree in this forum in such a civilised way ...
My two absolute favourite Powell and Pressburger movies are 'Tales of Hoffmann' (could watch Norma Shearer dance on those lily-pads forever) and 'I Know Where I'm Going'. My UK blu ray of 'Hoffmann' is wondrous, and it sounds as if 'A Matter of Life and Death' has also been given a transfer to covet. Now I'm waiting for 'I Know Where I'm Going' to be given similar treatment with proper restoration of its amazing one-strip black-and-white image.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I do enjoy the way we all disagree in this forum in such a civilised way ...
My two absolute favourite Powell and Pressburger movies are 'Tales of Hoffmann' (could watch Norma Shearer dance on those lily-pads forever) and 'I Know Where I'm Going'. My UK blu ray of 'Hoffmann' is wondrous, and it sounds as if 'A Matter of Life and Death' has also been given a transfer to covet. Now I'm waiting for 'I Know Where I'm Going' to be given similar treatment with proper restoration of its amazing one-strip black-and-white image.
Moira. Not Norma. And yes, IKWIG is also my favorite. You'll love the Criterion AMOLAD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks