What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ 1776 -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Amen, John & Richard!

And if I ever make a mistake, I hope someone will bring it to my attention!

:laugh:
My post said quite clearly "Correct him politely and move on." Since his post wasn't even made on this forum, did it really need to be dragged over here ? And the word "some" before "people" was specifically chosen so as not to implicate everyone.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Rob W said:
My post said quite clearly "Correct him politely and move on." Since his post wasn't even made on this forum, did it really need to be dragged over here ? And the word "some" before "people" was specifically chosen so as not to implicate everyone.

Speaking of move on... can we please? :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Happy Independence Day, everyone!

declaration_independence.jpg

I think I see Robert Harris sitting in that very back row on the left... :biggrin:

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I watched this over the weekend, and was very, very happy with the results. It may not be absolutely everything one could dream for, but it was more than I hoped we'd ever get. I'm also glad to see that everyone seems to be on board with this release, and that adherence to things like the unauthorized and unnecessary overture from the LD are finally fading away.

HTF was one of the first things that came to mind for me when I started watching it. 1776 and IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD will always be associated with HTF in my mind. Come 2072, when 1776 hits it's 100th anniversary and I'm pushing 100 myself, while RAH is tracking down VERTIGO'S DME stems, and I'm downloading the newest digital release of the film directly into my brain (including the option to see Dr. Hall greeting Mr. McNair out by the water pump seamlessly inserted for no good reason at all), I'll chuckle to myself and think of HTF.

Cheers, fair folk of HTF.

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
Damin J Toell said:
I watched this over the weekend, and was very, very happy with the results. It may not be absolutely everything one could dream for, but it was more than I hoped we'd ever get. I'm also glad to see that everyone seems to be on board with this release, and that adherence to things like the unauthorized and unnecessary overture from the LD are finally fading away.

HTF was one of the first things that came to mind for me when I started watching it. 1776 and IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD will always be associated with HTF in my mind. Come 2072, when 1776 hits it's 100th anniversary and I'm pushing 100 myself, while RAH is tracking down VERTIGO'S DME stems, and I'm downloading the newest digital release of the film directly into my brain (including the option to see Dr. Hall greeting Mr. McNair out by the water pump seamlessly inserted for no good reason at all), I'll chuckle to myself and think of HTF.

Cheers, fair folk of HTF.

Frankly, I think that your statement about the overture is a bit heavy-handed. I am "on board" with this release, and in fact purchased five copies of the blu-ray, for myself and friends. In other words, Sony has my money. They also have my money for the DVD and, whoever owned it at the time, has my money for the first gawdawful pan&scan laser and then the stunning Pioneer laserdisc, for which I paid a pretty penny. Perhaps I am mis-interpreting your comment, but I feel as if you are saying, "Those noisy children who had the temerity to like the overture have finally quieted down." My goodness, Mr. Pundit, I have certainly been told! Told how to feel and what to like. Thank you for correcting me.

The overture, obviously, was not a deal-breaker for me, as I bought the blu-ray (several times over). But, even though no one cares, let me state the two reasons why I like it. First of all, I love Eddie Sauter's orchestrations (as delivered by the inestimable Ray Heindorf), and to hear them unadorned by vocals and in an intelligently composed medley is a joy. Secondly, when I purchased the Pioneer laser on the day it was released, I brought it home to my home theater (such as it was; a 50" Pioneer rear-projection unit with a Pioneer surround sound audio set-up) and I was in heaven - 1776 as the roadshow release it should have been, with an exciting Overture. A joy beyond measure. But NOW, 20 years later, apparently, I am to disavow that day, and say "What a silly goose I was, to have relished every note of that joyous overture." I am so sorry, but I am NOT giving up that memory of an incredibly happy day. And how do you define "unnecessary"? That is very subjective. Wherever it came from, I loved it when I first heard it, I love it now, and I will NOT be told how to feel about it these years later. The Pioneer laser was not a fan edit. It was a vetted studio release, with the director's blessing, right there on the fold out sleeve. If Mr. Hunt has changed his mind about some things over the years, fine. But DO NOT tell me to not not "adhere" to things that were legitimately provided to those of us who bought the laser 20 years ago.

You feel I should "fade away". Well, I will. At the moment, I do not share your feelings about HTF. More and more it seems that those "in the know" tells us what to spend our money on these products what we should like or not like. Fine. Then why have a discussion? Make it a Robert Harris blog and turn off the discussion option. I can't even begin to fathom the vitriol that this post will engender, but I won't be here to read it. Good riddance you will say. Well, I will say it for you.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
bryan4999 said:
Frankly, I think that your statement about the overture is a bit heavy-handed. I am "on board" with this release, and in fact purchased five copies of the blu-ray, for myself and friends. In other words, Sony has my money. They also have my money for the DVD and, whoever owned it at the time, has my money for the first gawdawful pan&scan laser and then the stunning Pioneer laserdisc, for which I paid a pretty penny. Perhaps I am mis-interpreting your comment, but I feel as if you are saying, "Those noisy children who had the temerity to like the overture have finally quieted down." My goodness, Mr. Pundit, I have certainly been told! Told how to feel and what to like. Thank you for correcting me.

The overture, obviously, was not a deal-breaker for me, as I bought the blu-ray (several times over). But, even though no one cares, let me state the two reasons why I like it. First of all, I love Eddie Sauter's orchestrations (as delivered by the inestimable Ray Heindorf), and to hear them unadorned by vocals and in an intelligently composed medley is a joy. Secondly, when I purchased the Pioneer laser on the day it was released, I brought it home to my home theater (such as it was; a 50" Pioneer rear-projection unit with a Pioneer surround sound audio set-up) and I was in heaven - 1776 as the roadshow release it should have been, with an exciting Overture. A joy beyond measure. But NOW, 20 years later, apparently, I am to disavow that day, and say "What a silly goose I was, to have relished every note of that joyous overture." I am so sorry, but I am NOT giving up that memory of an incredibly happy day. And how do you define "unnecessary"? That is very subjective. Wherever it came from, I loved it when I first heard it, I love it now, and I will NOT be told how to feel about it these years later. The Pioneer laser was not a fan edit. It was a vetted studio release, with the director's blessing, right there on the fold out sleeve. If Mr. Hunt has changed his mind about some things over the years, fine. But DO NOT tell me to not not "adhere" to things that were legitimately provided to those of us who bought the laser 20 years ago.

You feel I should "fade away". Well, I will. At the moment, I do not share your feelings about HTF. More and more it seems that those "in the know" tells us what to spend our money on these products what we should like or not like. Fine. Then why have a discussion? Make it a Robert Harris blog and turn off the discussion option. I can't even begin to fathom the vitriol that this post will engender, but I won't be here to read it. Good riddance you will say. Well, I will say it for you.
I never bought the first laserdisc as you did, but I was in for the Pioneer laserdisc (see my post here #120), the DVD, and now the Blu-Ray. I agree with everything you write, except that I think you shouldn't "fade away". You should stay right here, pal.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I have spent the past four days fairly wallowing in this disc. 1776 has been a favorite film on mine since I first saw it in 1972. I've listened to the Broadway cast album more times than I can count and have read the script more times than that. I have also bought several of the previously home video releases, which always surprised me when I watched them because 'in certain reaches of my mind" I had fully visualized parts of the show that were cut from all of them.

Needless to say I was delighted with the Blu Ray. I watched the director's cut on Saturday night. Reading or watching 1776 in some form has been a 4th of July tradition of mine for 40-odd years (along with reading the Declaration itself) and this was the best of them all. On Sunday night I watched half of the Director's cut with the 1st commentary track (pausing the film to switch over to the women's World Cup final.) I watched the rest of that on Monday night, and on Tuesday watched the Director's cut with the 2nd commentary, as well as the deleted and extended scenes and a couple of screen tests. Tonight I will probably watch the extended cut. I don't think I've ever watched the same film this many times in such a short period, but it looks so beautiful and there is so much to catch in the background on repeated viewings that I've never once felt bored or tempted to hit the fast forward button. The film continues to amaze.

My thanks to RAH "Moe Dickinson", Mr. Daniels, Mr. Howard, Peter Stone, Peter Hunt and all those who contributed to the restoration, and those anonymous souls at Columbia who had the good sense to ignore Jack Warner and hide the excised footage in unmarked boxes instead of shredding it as directed. And also to Mr. Warner himself, who caused the film to be made in the first place and who had the rare good sense to insist that as much of the Broadway cast was possible was retained for them film, instead of turning the roles into vehicles for "name" movie stars who would have to be dubbed. (I can especially imagine a number of disastrous cameos by the wrong actors in the various smaller parts.)

Commitment!

Joe

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Joseph DeMartino said:
I have spent the past four days fairly wallowing in this disc. 1776 has been a favorite film on mine since I first saw it in 1972. I've listened to the Broadway cast album more times than I can count and have read the script more times than that. I have also bought several of the previously home video releases, which always surprised me when I watched them because 'in certain reaches of my mind" I had fully visualized parts of the show that were cut from all of them.

Needless to say I was delighted with the Blu Ray. I watched the director's cut on Saturday night. Reading or watching 1776 in some form has been a 4th of July tradition of mine for 40-odd years (along with reading the Declaration itself) and this was the best of them all. On Sunday night I watched half of the Director's cut with the 1st commentary track (pausing the film to switch over to the women's World Cup final.) I watched the rest of that on Monday night, and on Tuesday watched the Director's cut with the 2nd commentary, as well as the deleted and extended scenes and a couple of screen tests. Tonight I will probably watch the extended cut. I don't think I've ever watched the same film this many times in such a short period, but it looks so beautiful and there is so much to catch in the background on repeated viewings that I've never once felt bored or tempted to hit the fast forward button. The film continues to amaze.

My thanks to RAH "Moe Dickinson", Mr. Daniels, Mr. Howard, Peter Stone, Peter Hunt and all those who contributed to the restoration, and those anonymous souls at Columbia who had the good sense to ignore Jack Warner and hide the excised footage in unmarked boxes instead of shredding it as directed. And also to Mr. Warner himself, who caused the film to be made in the first place and who had the rare good sense to insist that as much of the Broadway cast was possible was retained for them film, instead of turning the roles into vehicles for "name" movie stars who would have to be dubbed. (I can especially imagine a number of disastrous cameos by the wrong actors in the various smaller parts.)

Commitment!

Joe
Besides applauding and lauding those behind 1776, I had no role in the restoration.

Just for the record...

RAH

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Reed Grele said:
Most of the songs and other goings on didn't "wow" me either. Until near the end of the film when you realize what was at stake. By signing their names the the Declaration of Independence, the founding fathers were also signing their death warrant as traitors to the King of England. During that sequence, when the Liberty Bell was tolling as each member signed his name, the hair on the back of my neck was standing up!
At RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL as they called each state up to slgn ,the crowd would cheer for their state !

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Robert Harris said:
Besides applauding and lauding those behind 1776, I had no role in the restoration.

Just for the record...

RAH
That's what I get for jumping in so late in the thread. ;-) Besides, after seeing so much of your work I just naturally assume that you're involved in any restoration that turns out really well.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Panavision70 said:
Not to kick the hornets' nest... It would be nice if some owner of the laserdisc put the overture on Youtube.

I have it on tumblr - not sure for how long it will stay.

You can hear it at: kplistentothis.tumblr.com
You do not need a tumblr account, but you do need this password: 27697205207

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Dear RAH,

There is a description on the BD case of "1776" that states the following: "Mastered in 4K. Maximum picture. Expanded color."

What is meant by "Expanded color"?

As for the film and its restoration? My declaration is that its a complete winner, in every sense of the word.

- PMF

SteveJKo

Second Unit
KPmusmag said:
I have it on tumblr - not sure for how long it will stay.

You can hear it at: kplistentothis.tumblr.com
You do not need a tumblr account, but you do need this password: 27697205207

PMF said:
...As for the film and its restoration, in and of itself? My declaration is that its a complete winner, in every sense of the word...

I second that! It's a fantastic blu-ray of a great film. But..........................after hearing that lovely overture (thank you KPmusmag for posting it) I really do wish the blu-ray had it as an option.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Very, very sorry to read of Ken Howard's untimely passing today. 71 is too young these days. A terrific actor that, along with Bill Daniels, made 1776 one of my favorite all time films.

RIP good sir.
A lovely tribute, Steve, and one I also support highly. He was a wonderful actor and never seemed to give a wrong performance in anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks