1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

A few easy questions

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Ryan Leemhuis, May 18, 2004.

1. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

I was reading through my receiver manual for no purpose whatsoever and just happened to notice that it says that the discrete 6 ch. input is the best way to connect surround sound from a DVD player. Is this actually true?

Secondly, I am looking for the best pair of fronts I can get for about 300 dollars plus or minus 100 max. I was thinking some of those JBL 3 way 8",4", and tweeters. Anything that would be better for the price?

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I think it depends on the quality of the DAC's in the player vs. the one's in the receiver. Connecting a low-end player that cost $49 at the grocery store is not going to yield the same results as a better built (read-More $$$) player. Keep in mind that not all players have an on-board DD or DTS decoder, thses units will need to be connected via digital coax or toslink so that the receiver can decode the DD/DTS soundtrack.

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

As far as using the 6.1 inputs, it depends on the quality of digital surround processors in the dvd player and receiver. One may do a better job (or sound better) thsn the other. If you have a SACD or DVD-A player, the 6.1 inputs are mandatory.

As for speakers, I suggest you take a slection of your favorite DVDs/CDs and go out and listen. Speaker selection is very subjective. Only yoou know what sounds good to you.

Good luck,
    James

4. Ryan Leemhuis

So does hooking up the 5.1 connection from the DVD player to the reveiver bypass the receivers decoding? I have a Panasonic RP-82 and a entry level Kenwood receiver.

5. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Yes.

6. Ryan Leemhuis

so normally the decoder in the receiver is better?

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

There is no normally... every situation is different... some of the decoding circuitry in players is excellent- especially in higher end devices. Usually it's best to try both methods and see if you hear a difference, trust your ears above all else.

-vince