What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (4 Viewers)

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
So it's a rainy day here in Indiana (although a balmy 60 degrees) and I just didn't feel like going into work. Instead, I thought I'd do a little trivia research on some of the 77 SS cars. I told my wife I was being productive with my spare time...

1960 FordThunderbird. Not much different than the 1958-59 version except for some minor grille changes. Cost a whopping $3,755. The Falcon was Ford's best selling car that year, but Stu or Jeff wouldn't be caught dead in one and Kookie would make you park it yourself.

images

1960 Edsel Ranger convertible. Never saw the boys drive one of these babies. Kookie would've had AFib trying to back this monster into a tight spot. I've seen football fields that are shorter...
The easiest way to distinguish the '60 T-Bird from the '59 is that the former has three taillights per side, and the latter has two (like Stu's).

The rule with the cars is that Stu got a new T-Bird every other year, and Jeff got a new Fairlane/Galaxie (depending upon the year) Starliner convertible every year. That held even through the sixth season for Stu.

I've only noticed a few Edsels in the show. The one that comes to mind is the one driven by the bad guys (Rex Reason, et al.) in S01E23 "Blackout".

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
The easiest way to distinguish the '60 T-Bird from the '59 is that the former has three taillights per side, and the latter has two (like Stu's).

The rule with the cars is that Stu got a new T-Bird every other year, and Jeff got a new Fairlane/Galaxie (depending upon the year) Starliner convertible every year. That held even through the sixth season for Stu.

I've only noticed a few Edsels in the show. The one that comes to mind is the one driven by the bad guys (Rex Reason, et al.) in S01E23 "Blackout".
I always thought it was funny/odd that as the sponsor of the program, Ford wouldn't even let the bad guys drive another make of car...like a Chevy or Buick. No, it STILL had to be a Ford--maybe just a lesser model like a Falcon or Edsel. Oh, the hubris of it...

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I always thought it was funny/odd that as the sponsor of the program, Ford wouldn't even let the bad guys drive another make of car...like a Chevy or Buick. No, it STILL had to be a Ford--maybe just a lesser model like a Falcon or Edsel. Oh, the hubris of it...

That's not strictly true. There is a black Cadillac Sedan de Ville of a roughly '49-'53 vintage (as closely as I can determine), that is virtually always driven by Bad Guys, most often seen in out-of-U.S. episodes. It's the car where Kookie hides the smuggled documents at the end of Upbeat.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
There is one car in the show that continues to baffle me. It is the car driven by Jeff in Jeff's version of the story in "Once Upon A Caper" when Kookie comes upon him stranded with a flat tire.

Can anyone here identify that car? I'm as certain as I can be that it is not a FoMoCo product, unless it is some sort of concept car.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
There is one car in the show that continues to baffle me. It is the car driven by Jeff in Jeff's version of the story in "Once Upon A Caper" when Kookie comes upon him stranded with a flat tire.

Can anyone here identify that car? I'm as certain as I can be that it is not a FoMoCo product, unless it is some sort of concept car.
It is my hope to catch up on "Once Upon A Caper" tonight. I will studiously examine the car in question to see if I can recognize it.
In my distant and very foggy memory, I want to say it's a Lincoln.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
That's not strictly true. There is a black Cadillac Sedan de Ville of a roughly '49-'53 vintage (as closely as I can determine), that is virtually always driven by Bad Guys, most often seen in out-of-U.S. episodes. It's the car where Kookie hides the smuggled documents at the end of Upbeat.
True. All bets are off when it comes to makes of cars on the international episodes. Sometimes they are just film cuts from old Warner Bros. movies.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063515/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

I'd like to call attention again to this neat little movie starring Roger Smith available on Amazon Prime. It's definitely worth $2.99 for a rental. I've always imagined this movie as a continuation of .77SS with Roger playing a down-on-his-heel Jeff Spencer after the firm's break-up. It's no classic but Roger is great in it and has a wonderful cast of old-timers including Edgar Bergen and Dennis Morgan.

Found this publicity still from "Rogues Gallery"

s-l500.jpg

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
True. All bets are off when it comes to makes of cars on the international episodes. Sometimes they are just film cuts from old Warner Bros. movies.

Yes, but just to be clear, this specific car I'm talking about I've also seen in Bourbon Street Beat. It was part of studio inventory. Here it is in "Downbeat":

77.Sunset.Strip.S01E31.Downbeat.mp4_002507305.png

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Yes, but just to be clear, this specific car I'm talking about I've also seen in Bourbon Street Beat. It was part of studio inventory. Here it is in "Downbeat":

View attachment 44276
It's a damn impressive non-Ford! Not to change the subject, but ever notice how many roads portrayed on 77 SS are non-paved? I would think by the 60's asphalt would have covered everything in LA.

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
Not to change the subject, but ever notice how many roads portrayed on 77 SS are non-paved? I would think by the 60's asphalt would have covered everything in LA.

That sequence is not supposed to be in LA, but in some forest near the US-Mexican border which the bad guys (and Stu) have just crossed. Of course, as we all know, it's the WB back lot...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks