What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (1 Viewer)

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
There are more of "us " than you think. I am constantly watching not only the Warner's stuff but also other such gems as Route 66, Dante, Breaking Point. There is a particular fondness for the PI stuff. Watching 77 Season 1 currently on My Cloud. Wife and 20 year old daughter enjoy as well.
Dante is a great show! I's a reworking of Mr. Lucky, which was destroyed by sponsor interference.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
At some point I'm going to start bringing up Bourbon Street Beat here. I have the full run, and I'm going through it gradually. It took about a dozen episodes for it to get good. One of its greatest assets was the occasional appearance of the luminous Nita Talbot as Lusti Weather, Cal's (Andrew Duggan's) stripper girlfriend.

So far, BSB has a built-in Nawlins darkness which works well with a noirish story, no so well otherwise.
I’ve only seen a few episodes of BSB and that’s been about 5 years ago so it’s pretty fuzzy in my memory. I know it was arguably the least successful of the WB PI series.
That being said, any show that has a character named Lusti Weather gets my full and complete attention.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
TIDBIT
By the time Roger Smith married Ann-Margret in 1967, he was out of work and mostly retired. In order to remain relevant beyond just being Ann-Margret's husband, he and his partner Allan Carr concocted a movie script C.C. & Company in 1970. It starred Ann-Margret and Joe Namath, who at the time was enjoying massive popularity due to his historic Super Bowl win and a larger-then-life personality. Whatever talent Roger had displayed earlier in writing some of the more memorable 77 SS scripts, he left it in his back pocket with this snotty handkerchief of a movie. Yes, I actually paid money to see it way back then.

upload_2018-2-18_7-31-47.jpeg
images

Ann-Margret and Joe Namath talk dirty to one another

There was hope that lightening would strike again as it did with Ann-Margret's pairing with Elvis Presley in the Viva Las Vegas! movie. No chance. Joe was no Elvis and the critics were brutal. The Chicago Tribune wrote:
"After 20 minutes of visual effluvia, the big race is finally on. No, not around the dirt motorcycle track . . . the one up in the aisles..."
The movie also starred the always sinister William Smith, snarling his lines to the point of comedic absurdity.
images

Professional meanie William Smith

I saw the movie about 3 weeks after it was released and I remember the theater was practically empty. Sure, the movie was completely exploitive--relying on the two stars' popularity and Roger's residual fame from 77 SS to overcome a poor script and cheap production. It failed rather spectacularly.
Did I mention that Ann-Margret has a nude scene? Now you really know why I went to see it.

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
TIDBIT
By the time Roger Smith married Ann-Margret in 1967, he was out of work and mostly retired. In order to remain relevant beyond just being Ann-Margret's husband, he and his partner Allan Carr concocted a movie script C.C. & Company in 1970. It starred Ann-Margret and Joe Namath, who at the time was enjoying massive popularity due to his historic Super Bowl win and a larger-then-life personality. Whatever talent Roger had displayed earlier in writing some of the more memorable 77 SS scripts, he left it in his back pocket with this snotty handkerchief of a movie. Yes, I actually paid money to see it way back then.

View attachment 44115
images

Ann-Margret and Joe Namath talk dirty to one another

There was hope that lightening would strike again as it did with Ann-Margret's pairing with Elvis Presley in the Viva Las Vegas! movie. No chance. Joe was no Elvis and the critics were brutal. The Chicago Tribune wrote:
"After 20 minutes of visual effluvia, the big race is finally on. No, not around the dirt motorcycle track . . . the one up in the aisles..."
The movie also starred the always sinister William Smith, snarling his lines to the point of comedic absurdity.
images

Professional meanie William Smith

I saw the movie about 3 weeks after it was released and I remember the theater was practically empty. Sure, the movie was completely exploitive--relying on the two stars' popularity and Roger's residual fame from 77 SS to overcome a poor script and cheap production. It failed rather spectacularly.
Did I mention that Ann-Margret has a nude scene? Now you really know why I went to see it.
Well, William Smith was a good guy and one of the leads in Laredo, which was a great show the first season. It got camp disease the second season.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I’ve only seen a few episodes of BSB and that’s been about 5 years ago so it’s pretty fuzzy in my memory. I know it was arguably the least successful of the WB PI series.
That being said, any show that has a character named Lusti Weather gets my full and complete attention.
Oh, yes, especially when the role is populated by the lovely and hilarious Miss Talbot.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer

Yes, but DJ Neyer maintains that its death was at the hands of the WGA strike, which hit BSB especially hard. I have yet to evaluate that claim, but I do know that old W. Hermanos had his hand in ten episodes.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063515/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

I'd like to call attention again to this neat little movie starring Roger Smith available on Amazon Prime. It's definitely worth $2.99 for a rental. I've always imagined this movie as a continuation of .77SS with Roger playing a down-on-his-heel Jeff Spencer after the firm's break-up. It's no classic but Roger is great in it and has a wonderful cast of old-timers including Edgar Bergen and Dennis Morgan.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063515/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

I'd like to call attention again to this neat little movie starring Roger Smith available on Amazon Prime. It's definitely worth $2.99 for a rental. I've always imagined this movie as a continuation of .77SS with Roger playing a down-on-his-heel Jeff Spencer after the firm's break-up. It's no classic but Roger is great in it and has a wonderful cast of old-timers including Edgar Bergen and Dennis Morgan.
Cool! I found it on my Amazon Prime. I shall donate the $2.99 fee to peruse! Thanks for the tip, John...

Last edited:

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
Well, William Smith was a good guy and one of the leads in Laredo, which was a great show the first season. It got camp disease the second season.

He was also a good guy as a member of McGarrett's team in the final season of Hawaii Five-0 in 1979/80. Guess he really didn't get to play many of those!
I'll always remember him as the utterly mean Falconetti who killed off Nick Nolte as 'Tom Jordache' in the final episode of Rich Man, Poor Man. One of the most devastating series finales I can recall. I thought RM, PM Book 2 really suffered because of not having Nick Nolte in the cast anymore. OK, slightly OT, back to 77SS...

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
He was also a good guy as a member of McGarrett's team in the final season of Hawaii Five-0 in 1979/80. Guess he really didn't get to play many of those!
I'll always remember him as the utterly mean Falconetti who killed off Nick Nolte as 'Tom Jordache' in the final episode of Rich Man, Poor Man. One of the most devastating series finales I can recall. I thought RM, PM Book 2 really suffered because of not having Nick Nolte in the cast anymore. OK, slightly OT, back to 77SS...
Ol' Billy is still with us. Going on 85 this March.
th

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
"Mr. Goldilocks" is one of those oddly delightful 77 SS episodes played more for laughs than drama, the script having been written by Montgomery Pittman and Roger Smith. I had forgotten about this one until I watched it yesterday and realize now that it should be in my top 10.

Jeff Spenser shows up injured in old prospector Luther's cabin in the desert having chased a jewel thief to this remote location. Luther also provides a roof for his bumpkin-like family consisting of son Willie (Adam Williams), daughter Polly (Sue Ane Langdon) and her dim-witted husband Albern (Mike Road).

images

Sue Ane Langdon and Mike Road

Upon his discovery in the cabin and identified as a PI, Jeff is plotted against by Polly and Albern as they are the ones responsible for the jewel theft. The family apparently has been hanging around the desert for the past 5 years in a futile search of a gold mine that exists on a bogus treasure map that old Luther bought off a con man. Jeff is initially amused at their foolishness until he realizes the danger he's in.

Not being truly evil, Polly fishes a bullet out of Jeff's arm using tweezers borrowed from what brother Willie uses on his spider collection, thus generating the origin of the word "Ewwwww...." While being held at gunpoint, Jeff tries to charm the hillbillyish yet wily Polly with his city-feller ways. He eventually escapes to the desert with his pockets thoughtfully filled with left-over breakfast pancakes (mmmmm) and Albern trundling in close pursuit behind, wearing a denim jacket because god knows it gets chilly out there at high noon. This gives Warner Bros. the opportunity to deploy their entire inventory of desert backdrops, fake cacti, paper mache rock formations and tumbling tumbleweeds in order to prove that an essentially outdoor story can be entirely filmed on a stage set.
Half crazed with hunger and thirst, Jeff meanders about and begins talking to himself while constantly reminding himself not to do that. He has quite a heart-to-heart with a buzzard circling overhead who refuses to participate in the conversation.
I won't spoil the end of this adventure except to say the "lost" gold mine resurfaces in the story, so to speak.
This is a really fun episode and I heartily recommend you watch it. Rated: 3 martinis.

RUMOR TIDBIT:
Sue Ane Langdon at one time fulfilled the role of "hostess" on the train that Jackie Gleason would charter while shuttling his crew and cronies back and forth between NYC and Miami during taping of his weekly TV show. The train having quite the party atmosphere, Sue Ane reportedly gained somewhat of a reputation as to her interactions with some of the passengers. As this is mostly a family-friendly forum, I won't go into any unsubstantiated details other than to post this picture of her and let you guys interpret anything you want.

images

Last edited:

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
"Mr. Goldilocks" is one of those oddly delightful 77 SS episodes played more for laughs than drama, the script having been written by Montgomery Pittman and Roger Smith. I had forgotten about this one until I watched it yesterday and realize now that it should be in my top 10.

Absolutely agree. This one has been in my (not-yet-complete) top 10 ever since I found it on WBA (must've watched it at least 3 times since then), together with those other Roger Smith classics, Attic and The Silent Caper. Now, where's my gin and vermouth...

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Absolutely agree. This one has been in my (not-yet-complete) top 10 ever since I found it on WBA (must've watched it at least 3 times since then), together with those other Roger Smith classics, Attic and The Silent Caper. Now, where's my gin and vermouth...
Ah...a fellow martini-ite! There's truly not enough of us in this crazy world. Personally, I take mine with vodka.
When I was in college, the general practice of my fellow classmates was to over indulge in beer and weed. I calmly stayed off to the side of this mayhem and blissfully mixed my "silver bullet" concoction--a practice I religiously continue to this day. It seems like the civilized thing to do.
Cheers, Lutz!
upload_2018-2-19_12-0-29.jpeg

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
So it's a rainy day here in Indiana (although a balmy 60 degrees) and I just didn't feel like going into work. Instead, I thought I'd do a little trivia research on some of the 77 SS cars. I told my wife I was being productive with my spare time...

1960 FordThunderbird. Not much different than the 1958-59 version except for some minor grille changes. Cost a whopping $3,755. The Falcon was Ford's best selling car that year, but Stu or Jeff wouldn't be caught dead in one and Kookie would make you park it yourself.

1960 Ford Galaxie Sunliner. $2,599 new. The 352 ci V-8 Interceptor engine pumped out 400 hp! Got you out of Dino's parking lot and onto the Strip in a frickin' heartbeat. Probably left some rubber aroma behind, too.

images

Interior of the Galaxie Sunliner. Satellite Radio, Bluetooth, Navigation, Electronic Start, Triptronic Shift, Bose Concert Sound and cup holders all standard as you can see.

s-l225.jpg

While Stu is working on his car, he accidently yanks out a part and asks Lt. Gilmore what the hell is this thingamabob? Gilmore has no idea either.

images

1960 Edsel Ranger convertible. Never saw the boys drive one of these babies. Kookie would've had AFib trying to back this monster into a tight spot. I've seen football fields that are shorter...

Heck...I thought there'd be more car stuff.

I'll leave you with this visual:
s-l225.jpg

Suzanne on the phone with Elsa Lanchester discussing the mechanics of the Bride of Frankenstein hairdo.

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
At some point I'm going to start bringing up Bourbon Street Beat here. I have the full run, and I'm going through it gradually. It took about a dozen episodes for it to get good. One of its greatest assets was the occasional appearance of the luminous Nita Talbot as Lusti Weather, Cal's (Andrew Duggan's) stripper girlfriend.

Where the heck did you get the whole series. I've never come across it!

I have to add my thumbs up to Nita Talbot. Always liked watching her in anything she did. (Except maybe Supertrain, lol!) And she was in a lot of shows. Hogan's Heroes, of course, many/most people remember her from. She got an Emmy nomination for that role. One of my favorites is an episode of The Untouchables, a Christmas episode-heh!, called The Night They Shot Santa Claus. Poor Butch Patrick witnesses this crime! For fifty years she was in westerns, dramas, comedies, just about every kind of series, from Perry Mason to The VIrginian to The Monkees and beyond.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Ah...a fellow martini-ite! There's truly not enough of us in this crazy world.

Moi, aussi, I had a couple last night.

My preference is noted in these song lyrics from "How to Succeed in Business..."

To see the cool, clear
Eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth;
Yet, with the slam-bang tang
Reminiscent of gin and vermouth.
Oh, I believe in you.
I believe in you.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Moi, aussi, I had a couple last night.

My preference is noted in these song lyrics from "How to Succeed in Business..."

To see the cool, clear
Eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth;
Yet, with the slam-bang tang
Reminiscent of gin and vermouth.
Oh, I believe in you.
I believe in you.
I am torn between that and Oklahoma! as my favorite musical of all time. Kudos for the reference!

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Ah...a fellow martini-ite! There's truly not enough of us in this crazy world. Personally, I take mine with vodka.
When I was in college, the general practice of my fellow classmates was to over indulge in beer and weed. I calmly stayed off to the side of this mayhem and blissfully mixed my "silver bullet" concoction--a practice I religiously continue to this day. It seems like the civilized thing to do.
Cheers, Lutz!
View attachment 44193
I'm a bourbon-and-branch-water man myself. Like Stu.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Where the heck did you get the whole series. I've never come across it!

I used to have a source for shows that were otherwise unavailable, but sadly, it seems to have dried up.

Nita Talbot is also in the Leonard Nimoy episode of Columbo, and as always, she's brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks