What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I wonder when Warner is gonna open the vaults on Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside Six, and all the Westerns (Maverick, etc).

They are obviously serious about releasing some older stuff as there was a press release floating around stating that all 9 seasons of the F.B.I. were coming out later this year.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

And how about Bourbon Street Beat? I've been dreaming about these titles for a long, long time.

Sorry to say, but I think the only way your dreams come true will be by Warner BOD, even then an iffy proposition. Believe me, I'm just as anxious as you to see them, but Warner just doesn't give a crap about their treasure trove of B&W detective and western shows. At least Encore Westerns has given us Maverick, Cheyenne, and now Lawman as well. Maybe they will give us Colt .45, The Alaskans, The Dakotas, Bronco, and Sugarfoot as well.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Also, Good Life TV gave us 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Surfside 6, Bourbon Street Beat, Bronco, Sugarfoot and The Gallant Men. Really the only shows from the classic era that have not run anywhere recently are Colt 45, Roaring 20s, The Dakotas and The Alaskans.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

What is Good Life TV?

Now called American Life TV, or ALN, it is a cable channel that used to show a fantastic schedule of retro TV programs, that Neil mentioned, and lots of others as well. For some reason, they abandoned the retro TV philosophy and now broadcast a bunch of cooking, health, religious, and paid programming shows. But it used to be what TV Land was in "the good old days" and more.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Thanks! Good News! On Nov 11th, they will be showing the first four episodes of Season 1, including the one where "Kookie" played a different character and was the bad-guy.

The Dec 3rd and 4th showings would be the weekend marathon, which starts at 1PM Saturday and ends 7AM Monday. An opportunity to see about 42 episodes, or 46 if they don't rerun the ones from Nov. 11. I hope they are full episodes.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Forgot Decades was showing the first four Season One 77 Sunset Strip episodes, today. By dumb luck, I caught the end of "The Bouncing Chip". Turns out they are also showing the next four Season One episodes from 9PM to 1AM EST, tonight.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
They did not show episode #1 'Girl on the Run" (the episode with Edd Byrnes as the killer) but started with what IMDB calls episode #2, "Lovely Lady, Pity Me" followed by #3 "A Nice Social Evening", #4 "Casualty" and #5 "The Bouncing Chip".

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Just a reminder to anyone who receives the Decades Channel that the 77 SUNSET STRIP "Weekend Binge" begins Saturday 12/3 at 1:00 p.m. eastern time with Episode #9 of Season One, "The Iron Curtain Caper" and continues straight through to Episode 16 of Season 2, "Switchburg" airing at 6 am eastern Monday morning.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I guess these are still the, (possibly timesped), Good Life versions. No full openings, no bumpers, no scenes for next week. When 77 eventually is released by the Warner Archives I expect the full openings will be reinstated.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I really miss the bumpers on the shows that have already been released. I used to have a lot of 16mm network prints of 77 Sunset Strip. They had everything: full opening scenes, bumpers, commercials, scenes from next week, ABC promos, etc. I sure wish all the Warner shows on DVD were like that!

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I think "Hawaiian Eye" does not stand a chance of a release thru Warner's . In almost every episode Connie Steven's "Cricket" character sings a song in the Tiki Lounge. Having to pay for the rights for each song would be highly expensive. The same would go for Dorothy Provine in "The Roaring 20's"

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
If 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street Beat and Surfside 6 EVER become available on a LEGIT release I'll be more than happy to purchase them, even though I was able to acquire them from a means I refuse to mention because I'd have to plea the fifth amendment and refuse to say because doing so would incriminate me. :angry: This year I was able to acquire five "Grail" Shows, four of which I did have 'boots of. Needless to say I found getting rid of them turned out to be a SMASH (Thank you Mr. B.F. Hammerr)! :laugh::rolling-smiley:

mark-edk

Second Unit
I'm recording the Sunset Strip marathon from Decades both off-air and via cable. Just checking in on the progress I found both sources are exhibiting an audio sync problem at the moment. I noticed it at the start of the first episode but it didn't seem as obvious, or annoying, as it does in the current one (2:30 pm ET). I'm in the Detroit area so maybe it's the local station screwing up.

EtA: Checking in at 4:15 pm ET the current ep seems fine audio sync wise, though the visuals aren't as good. Still happy that they're being shown at all.

Last edited:

Sky King

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Watched several episodes of 77 Sunset Strip yesterday and was disappointed by the visual quality of the prints and the deleted opening credits. Apparently Decades opted for the cheapest prints available.
I viewed this on a C band dish direct from the satellite they use so there was no degradation of quality from a cable or small dish system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks