1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

77SS apparently plundered past Warner Bros movies for their plot lines. I've already seen two Hitchcock classics (Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder) remade into episodes; coincidentally both featured Richard Long as guest star. And I've been reminded how taken I was by Jacqueline Beer back in the day. They really need to get this show out on DVD before all of us in the target audience aren't around anymore!

2. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    I could be off in the timing but I recall there was a writers strike at one point which forced the studios to dig out old scripts and rework them in order to keep shows in production.

3. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    These should have been the same transfers that have been running for ten years or more on various cable nets and in the Warner archive streaming service which always looked decent. The edits were apparently done by Warner Brothers since they're the same wherever I've watched them. Some have full openings. Some don't. None has the bumpers.

4. Sky King

Sky King Second Unit

John
    Gary,

I thought they would have used the same transfers used formally by GoodLife TV. Those prints...including the classic opening credits... looked sharp and clean, making me think a DVD set wasn't far behind. Those shown on Decades looked less than stellar.

5. Dan McW

Dan McW Supporting Actor

Dan
    The series Lawman reworked the movies Ride Lonesome and (I think) Fort Dobbs into a couple of its later episodes. Burt Kennedy was involved in both movies and both episodes as the writer and/or the director.

Flashgear likes this.
  6. Brent S

Brent S Second Unit

Brent Seguine
    Sadly, as of November 28, Van Williams is unable to provide any future commentary on SURFSIDE 6.

R.I.P.

Everett S. and Flashgear like this.
  7. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    The strike began in January, 1960 and lasted for about five months. With no new material available. Warner Brothers took old scripts from shows and reworked them for others. They're easy to spot - any script credited to "W. Hermanos" was lifted from another show. The "W. Hermanos" credit appears on episodes of 77 Sunset Strip, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street Beat, Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Colt .45, Lawman, The Alaskans, and possibly others.

8. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    I remember a Cheyenne that was point for point taken from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre".

Flashgear likes this.
  9. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    And an episode of BOURBON STREET BEAT used the script of WHITE HEAT.

Flashgear likes this.
  10. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

Decades is running 77's "Bullets for Santa" episode on Christmas Eve.

Bob Gu likes this.
  11. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    MeTV just announced "77 Sunset Strip" will air Monday thru Friday at 4 am starting January 2. Setting DVR now.

Bob Gu and Flashgear like this.
  12. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera

Jack K, Flashgear and Gary16 like this.
  13. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Since their shows come in a shade under 46 minutes, I wonder if they will be timesped or cut.

Vahan_Nisanain likes this.
  14. Message #34 of 3151 Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    If these are the masters that ran on Goodlife, Warner made up time by eliminating the bumpers in and out of the breaks. That saved at least a minute and a half. Plus a lot of the episodes had previews of next week that often ran a couple of minutes so those were eliminated. Finally they took off the main title opening (the one where each star is introduced) on some episodes. Almost forgot -- the sponsor Billboards save another 40 seconds.

Vahan_Nisanain likes this.
  15. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

All of those were pre-cut by Warner when they were remastered and the episodes still came in at 48 minutes, which is 2+ minutes longer than what ME-TV allows for a show.

16. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    It would be nice if Me-TV would use two less minutes of commercial time at 4 in the morning. That said, st least any cuts will be less than with many of their other shows.

Tony Bensley likes this.
  17. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Good luck with that happening.

18. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

The first MEtv Sunset Strip episode looked and timed out the same as the Decades showing did. There was one key difference: the Decades was shown in 4:3 with black bars on the sides. MEtv zoomed in a bit, trimming of a strip of video on both the top and bottom of the image. Not so much as to make it 16:9, but the side bars were thinner than on Decades. I suppose I could live with it; it's not horrible. But I like the pure 4:3 Decades approach better. And I want this series on DVD (see, I'm on topic).

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  19. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    I thought it looked quite good and the zoom didn't bother me although I agree that original ratio is better. I detected a slight speed up early on but it seemed to slow down later.

20. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    I guess it will be about eight more weeks before METV gets to episodes that were not part of the DECADES binge. Not interested in the letterbox METV version but I do like the bigger picture 16:9 slight pillar boxed version of the METV broadcast. Don't think any picture info is cut off in the 16:9. With the P/S turner choice info is lost on all four sides.

YouTube has taken down the full-episodes of 77 SUNSET STRIP, HAWAIIAN EYE, and SURFSIDE 6. I did not check for the WB westerns. Could be routine purging of copyrighted material. Might be a sign that EYE and 6 might be coming to the retro stations too? Maybe the DVDs are finally on the horizon?