1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc.

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Frank Soyke, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Franchot Tone as Stu Bailey:

2. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    Sorry I got the dates wrong. "Girl on the Run" is airing right now as I type this and will be shown again at 12:30 a.m. eastern time Saturday morning, March 11th.

3. Message #63 of 3132 Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

Compared to a showing on some channel years ago that used a star as its logo, Decades version of "Girl on the Run" was about two minutes shorter. And the star logo copy was slightly sped up compared the Decades airing, though Decades had better video and audio. In fact both showings had sequences the other didn't. Probably around 73 minutes taking footage from both...and that may not be complete either.

4. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

The first 77 to run on MeTV that wasn't part of the Decades 'binge' looked similar to the Decades transfers, except for MeTV's fake widescreen that cropped the top and bottom of the image (more so the top in this instance). A copy of the American Life showing of some years ago looks like it's from the same transfer as ME's. American Life ran about 40 seconds longer than MeTV...and was sped up to boot. There was about two minutes of footage in AL that was snipped out of ME's version.

C'mon Warner Archive. Get on with it.

Jack K, ChrisALM and Flashgear like this.
  5. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    I see Robert Conrad makes another cameo appearance as his HAWAIIAN EYE Character in
    "Who Killed Cock Robin?".
    Neil Hamilton from BATMAN plays the Butler.

6. mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

While the cable guide says ME ran Return to San Dede part 1 at 4am today, the ME website says they ran Return part 2, which would be problematic since unless I missed it I don't think they ran part 1. What aired WAS part 2.

7. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Mark, METV did run Part 1 yesterday, 4 AM EST Wednesday. I wish they were running them Monday AM thru Friday AM instead of Tuesday AM thru Saturday AM, it would be less confusing.

Richard V and Gary16 like this.
  8. Message #68 of 3132 Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    mark-edk

mark-edk Second Unit

Aha you are correct. I found it on my Comcast DVR, mistitled as 'Blackout'. So I may have caught it on the Magnavox too. Thanks for straightening me out!

EtA: Actually part 1 was mistitled as part 2, and while it recorded on 3/22, part 2 which aired today 3/23 did NOT record on the X1 DVR. I suspect that's because it might have been listed twice as part 2 so the DVR skipped the 2nd showing, even though I have it set to record repeats. Luckily off-air reception wasn't glitching last night so I got it on the Magnavox.

Release the DVDs Warner Archive, before the target audience for this classic 60s series aren't around to buy them.

Flashgear and Bob Gu like this.
  9. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I have a version on DVD-R which appears to missing at least one scene. Stu Bailey shows up without any introduction at all, no meeting with his client, etc. I saw "Girl on the Run" on TV so long ago that I barely remember it.

Regulus likes this.
  10. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    I don't know what happened with my Tivo recording of Part 2, on 3/23, it didn't record it. Part 1 recorded, then Tivo just skipped over Part 2 for some reason. Grrrrrr.

Bob Gu likes this.
  11. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    This week's Saturday morning episode, "Spark of Freedom" was a rewrite of a CONFLICT episode called: "Blind Drop Warsaw". I know this from research. The CONFLICT series rotated with CHEYENNE as part of WARNER BROTHERS PRESENTS.

Next week we have "Perfect Setup". That story was also used as a MAVERICK episode called "Point Blank". And, "Sierra" used on CHEYENNE as "Big Ghost Basin". It will be fun to watch and compare the different versions.

After those two, it's "The Silent Caper". This episode was written by Roger Smith, and is inventive and well remembered for not having any spoken dialog. (The most fun episode of 77, is another Roger Smith story, "Once Upon A Caper", but that's a third season episode that won't air for a few more weeks.)

Flashgear, Richard V and Gary16 like this.
  12. howard1908

howard1908 Stunt Coordinator

howard hughes
    conflict was not apart the warner brothers presents rotation, it actually was a seperate anthology series produced by warner brother in the 56-57 season. tge main difference betweeen the two shows was tgat warner brothers resents was a wheel series consisting of three shows; casablanca, kings row and cheyenne, the first two were massive failures; so much so that warner brothers produced an anthology in response to it in the 56-57 season and named it after the thibg that veiwers thougt WB presents was missing "conflict"

Flashgear and Bob Gu like this.
  13. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    Thanks for the clarification. I was confused by the shared time slot.

Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. played Stu Bailey in an episode of CONFLICT, called "Anything For Money". Hope it shows up along with "Girl On The Run", when the DVDs come out.

14. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott
    What happen to Kookie? He has been missing for several episodes.

Did Edward Byrnes like James Garner and Clint Walker walk out his contract?

15. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    He had a contractual dispute, not sure which season that was though.

Bob Gu likes this.
  16. Gary16

Gary16 Screenwriter

Gary
    Yes he walked out over a salary dispute for five months. It's detailed in his book "Kookie No More".

ponset, Flashgear and Bob Gu like this.
  17. Bob Gu

Bob Gu Screenwriter

Bob Gudera
    At least we have Suzanne and Roscoe to fill in.

Next season, Stu is missing for awhile, due to Efrem Z. doing some movies.

Flashgear likes this.
  18. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Producer

Pretty much every Warner actor went through contract disputes with the company as they just did not get treated very well nor paid very well. Connie Stevens, James Garner, Wayde Preston, etc. It's a long list. That's why Garner left Maverick after season 3. Roger Moore replaced him but left as soon as his contract was up. That's why you have the Sunny Day (Tina Cole) episodes of Hawaiian Eye in the 4th season.

Flashgear likes this.
  19. Ian K McLachlan

Ian K McLachlan Second Unit

Ian Kenneth McLachlan
    Unfortunately we here in the UK do not get these channels. I would very much like to see these shows again. In the video age they did release I think one tape of 77 Sunset Strip but no more. While I would prefer complete series it would be nice to have at least a few episodes available on DVD.

Jack K likes this.
  20. RBailey

RBailey Second Unit

John Hall
    A reminder to all who are following this series that "The Silent Caper" is coming up this Thursday morning. I remember watching this episode when it originally aired. I was 10 years old and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Ron Lee Green likes this.