What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (12 Viewers)

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Yes,that's Monty Pittman He has an eye painted on his forehead. Maybe he's supposed to be Svengali, or Rasputin.
More than likely, he's spoofing an idea used when he directed the Twilight Zone episode, Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?

images

Last edited:

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
The Dresden Doll, The Valley Caper, The Rice Estate, and the Affairs of Adam Gallante are all favorites.

Enjoy the singing of Connie Stevens.
Wonder why she wasn't Jeff's date?
IMDB says Robert Conrad was in that episode but I didn't see him. Only his co-stars.

I have never seen 77 Sunset Strip until ME-TV begun running it last year.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
The Dresden Doll, The Valley Caper, The Rice Estate, and the Affairs of Adam Gallante are all favorites.

Enjoy the singing of Connie Stevens.
Wonder why she wasn't Jeff's date?
IMDB says Robert Conrad was in that episode but I didn't see him. Only his co-stars.

I have never seen 77 Sunset Strip until ME-TV begun running it last year.
Robert Conrad was shown at the very beginning of the episode, walking into his office and planting a finger kiss on the Tiki statue just inside the door. Blink, and you miss it as the scene then cuts immediately to the Shell Bar with Connie singing
I'm sure Jeff was thinking same as you..."Why isn't Cricket my date, dammit!?"

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Just finished watching THE COLLEGE CAPER from season 3, episode 19, aired 1/20/61 with the wife and she really enjoyed it.

Fun to see Chad Everett before he got his own show Medical Center just a few short years later in 1969.
Good timing--I watched that ep last night as well. Will most likely pontificate about it here in just a little while.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
"The College Caper" is one of three eps I can think of that take place on campuses (Conspiracy of Silence and Fraternity of Fear are the other two). This one features Stu Bailey, who reluctantly accepts an assignment from a known syndicate boss (the always tight-jawed Alan Baxter) to protect his college kid from a rival mobster out for revenge. The kid is played by an unusually goody-two-shoes Chad Everett--All American, straight-A law student, clean-cut symbol of all that's good and true in America.
upload_2018-2-15_9-5-58.jpeg
images

Alan Baxter under the watchful eye of Lt. Gilmore, and Chad Everett

With the knowledge and permission of the Dean, Stu and Kookie go undercover at Chad's college as geology Professor Plunkett and student Alvin Hinkle respectively. You'd think the writers could've come up with something a bit wittier, such as a W.C. Fields pseudonym like, I don't know...Otis Criblecoblis?

upload_2018-2-15_9-5-19.jpeg

Prof. Plunkett and Alvin Hinkle

Stu's job is to investigate any new employees at the college for the possible killer, while Kookie assumes cover as a transfer student from Wabash College (right here in Indiana!--a State with which Kookie admits he's unfamiliar as being part of the Union). As luck would have it, Kookie becomes Chad's roommate and fellow football player. When asked "why football?", Kookie replies "because, man, it's Endsville!" Get it? Endsville? Okay, moving on...

Meanwhile, Stu is amusingly pursued by one from his young students, played by Claudia Barrett, who he studiously ignores in favor of pursuing his investigation and avoiding underage arrest.
upload_2018-2-15_9-20-58.jpeg

Claudia Barrett, who had a lead role in 'Robot Monster', generally considered one of the worst movies of all time

Eventually Stu takes his students on a field trip to the Warner Brothers Paper Mache Mountain Landscape to chip out some rock samples. Chad gets shot at which has the effect of seriously dampening the mood of field trip. They all return to the campus dispirited. Kookie complains to Chad that he's in Mother Hubbardville (read: no dates), so he's soon fixed up in good order for a romp to the local malt shop where ALL the real fun on the campus occurs. Stu keeps busy and his ability at deduction starts to zero in on the suspect.
In a truly weird scene, Robert Logan (pre-J.R. Hale) appears briefly as an over exuberant cheerleader at the campus homecoming bonfire, thus I guess getting his saddle-shoed foot in the door of the 77 SS series.

Despite all my tongue-in-cheek comments, this is a pretty good story that keeps you guessing until the end who the would-be killer is. Directed by Robert Douglas, I give it 2 martinis.

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
No Rob, that's originally from a network that had a star ☆ as its station ID in the lower right corner, you can see it in the screenshot. I've forgotten the name of the network. My print has a runtime of 48min, that should be close to complete.
That's the print from Dailymotion, thanks. I checked that, and then checked the Me-TV print again, and discovered that the scene is in both. I just plumb missed it the first time.

All this attention to "The Rice Estate" has significantly raised it in my estimation, I must say.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
You'll find that the series has its good and not-so-good episodes, John. Regardless, I watch all of them in the spirit of the nostalgia euphoria it brings to me. Y'know...the good ol' days.
Russ, I'm still working on my list, but I have to tell you that of the 186 episodes from the first five seasons, I'd say offhand that I would classify about 170 of them as at least 2 1/2 out of four stars on the Maltin scale, and only about 6 not worth watching again.

There is a small nostalgia factor for me with the show, because it takes place in the topography of my youth, but I love this show because it is good.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Russ, I'm still working on my list, but I have to tell you that of the 186 episodes from the first five seasons, I'd say offhand that I would classify about 170 of them as at least 2 1/2 out of four stars on the Maltin scale, and only about 6 not worth watching again.

There is a small nostalgia factor for me with the show, because it takes place in the topography of my youth, but I love this show because it is good.
I think each of us embrace this show based on personal reasons be it nostalgia, plots, cast, location or any combination thereof. I'm just glad this forum gives us a platform to discuss all these aspects. Participation here has become one of the best parts of my day.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
I have reported in an earlier post that I don't hold Richard Long in very high regard as to his addition to the 77 SS cast so I need not repeat my reasons here. Besides the fact that he screwed up the perfect beat of the show's theme song by having to add an extra bar to accommodate his introduction, I can't recall a single episode with him as the lead that impressed me.
In "The Hamlet Caper", Rex is reunited with his Bourbon Street Beat colleague, Andrew Duggan as Shakespearian actor Derek Fielding. Derek suffers from a sour disposition that one only attains by having carpet tacks thrown into their morning cereal. As a result, his fellow cast members hate him dearly and therefore provide a dearth of suspects trying to shuffle him off this mortal coil.

upload_2018-2-16_8-19-37.jpeg
images

The Bourbon Street Beat Boys, Andrew Duggan and Richard Long

Rex is hired by the producer of the Hamlet production, played by Hayden Rourke (Dr. Bellows of I Dream of Jeannie) to get to the bottom of the accidents befalling his lead star. Female guests include Derek's ex-wife Faith Domergue and current squeeze and cast member Nina Shipman as Darlene.
If you're into Shakespeare (and I'm not), then you'll probably appreciate Andrew's chewing up the scenery as the Poster Boy of Emoting. Otherwise, the episode sort of plods along by interspacing snippets of the play with building up cases as to who might be most responsible for causing an "accident" to him.
upload_2018-2-16_8-30-51.jpeg
upload_2018-2-16_8-31-21.jpeg

Faith Domergue and Nina Shipman put up with Andrew Duggan's shenanigans

In many mysteries, the ever-present butler is usually the guy whodunnit. In the theater, it's the stage door attendant. At least, that's what it looks where this is headed. Not so. Turns out the old guy used to be Germany's biggest theater star before the war and can act circles around Derek.
Unfortunately (and I don't think I'm spoiling anything here), it's Derek's girlfriend Darlene who has been poisoning his mouthwash because he jilted her.
Aye, there's the rub...
Rated: 1 and 1/2 martinis.

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
With the knowledge and permission of the Dean, Stu and Kookie go undercover at Chad's college as geology Professor Plunkett and student Alvin Hinkle respectively. You'd think the writers could've come up with something a bit wittier, such as a W.C. Fields pseudonym like, I don't know...Otis Criblecoblis?

Russ, I'm gratified that you know the source of my nom de blog!

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
I’m so glad you have the same affection towards this show as I do, Rob. I only wish there were more of us since it’s so much fun to discuss ( as I seem to do incessantly). I sometimes feel that you, me, Gary, Flashgear, Lutz et al carry the responsibility to further the awesomeness of 77 SS so that it doesn’t disappear in the fog of inconsequence as Baby Boomers begin to slide into senility. Again, wish we had more contributors. I, for one, want to hold onto my fondest nostalgic memories as long as possible. Not ready yet for a drool cup!
There are more of "us " than you think. I am constantly watching not only the Warner's stuff but also other such gems as Route 66, Dante, Breaking Point. There is a particular fondness for the PI stuff. Watching 77 Season 1 currently on My Cloud. Wife and 20 year old daughter enjoy as well.

Bob Goughan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Goughan
Did anyone do a book on 77 Sunset Strip, or Surfside 6, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon Street Beat, etc? It seems a few books are coming out on black and white tv shows, maybe a few more texts are in order.

James
Out of print now. Can get on ebay. Written by 3 gentlemen and covers all off WB tv of the period except The Dakotas"

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
There are more of "us " than you think. I am constantly watching not only the Warner's stuff but also other such gems as Route 66, Dante, Breaking Point. There is a particular fondness for the PI stuff. Watching 77 Season 1 currently on My Cloud. Wife and 20 year old daughter enjoy as well.
Absolutely great!

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I have reported in an earlier post that I don't hold Richard Long in very high regard as to his addition to the 77 SS cast so I need not repeat my reasons here. Besides the fact that he screwed up the perfect beat of the show's theme song by having to add an extra bar to accommodate his introduction, I can't recall a single episode with him as the lead that impressed me.
In "The Hamlet Caper", Rex is reunited with his Bourbon Street Beat colleague, Andrew Duggan as Shakespearian actor Derek Fielding. Derek suffers from a sour disposition that one only attains by having carpet tacks thrown into their morning cereal. As a result, his fellow cast members hate him dearly and therefore provide a dearth of suspects trying to shuffle him off this mortal coil.

View attachment 44074
images

The Bourbon Street Beat Boys, Andrew Duggan and Richard Long

Rex is hired by the producer of the Hamlet production, played by Hayden Rourke (Dr. Bellows of I Dream of Jeannie) to get to the bottom of the accidents befalling his lead star. Female guests include Derek's ex-wife Faith Domergue and current squeeze and cast member Nina Shipman as Darlene.
If you're into Shakespeare (and I'm not), then you'll probably appreciate Andrew's chewing up the scenery as the Poster Boy of Emoting. Otherwise, the episode sort of plods along by interspacing snippets of the play with building up cases as to who might be most responsible for causing an "accident" to him.
View attachment 44076 View attachment 44077
Faith Domergue and Nina Shipman put up with Andrew Duggan's shenanigans

In many mysteries, the ever-present butler is usually the guy whodunnit. In the theater, it's the stage door attendant. At least, that's what it looks where this is headed. Not so. Turns out the old guy used to be Germany's biggest theater star before the war and can act circles around Derek.
Unfortunately (and I don't think I'm spoiling anything here), it's Derek's girlfriend Darlene who has been poisoning his mouthwash because he jilted her.
Aye, there's the rub...
Rated: 1 and 1/2 martinis.
At some point I'm going to start bringing up Bourbon Street Beat here. I have the full run, and I'm going through it gradually. It took about a dozen episodes for it to get good. One of its greatest assets was the occasional appearance of the luminous Nita Talbot as Lusti Weather, Cal's (Andrew Duggan's) stripper girlfriend.

So far, BSB has a built-in Nawlins darkness which works well with a noirish story, no so well otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks