What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (2 Viewers)

Tom.W

Second Unit
No, it was not 77 Sunset Strip. It was Perry Mason and immediately following on the very same night , she was in Twilight Zone. She looks the same back then as she does now only a little older. She even sounds like Nancy Pelosi. This the 3rd time I saw her in Perry Mason. The first time, I knew her voice was very familiar & so was her face. The 2nd time, I placed her voice before her face.

Dolly, you might be thinking of Patricia Breslin. She was in the Twilight Zone episode "Nick of Time" and the Perry Mason episode "The Case of the Lavender Lipstick" and probably other Mason eps. She does resemble Nancy Pelosi somewhat and even sounds like her.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Dolly, you were in search of a Halloween episode, and there is one, kind of: S3E16 "The Rice Estate," which aired December 30, 1960. I don't think Halloween is mentioned, but it is clearly implied and its mood is invoked, and the climactic scene is a costume party in a big old scary house.

It's not explicitly a Halloween episode, but it certainly serves for one.

Dolly8

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sherri
Dolly, you might be thinking of Patricia Breslin. She was in the Twilight Zone episode "Nick of Time" and the Perry Mason episode "The Case of the Lavender Lipstick" and probably other Mason eps. She does resemble Nancy Pelosi somewhat and even sounds like her.

Dolly8

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sherri

Dolly8

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sherri
Yes, Patricia Breslin. I saw her in the Perry Mason S5,Ep20, "The Poison Pen Pal". She's also was in Perry Mason S4,Ep5, "The Case of the Lavender Lipstick", & S6, Ep 15, "The Case of the Prankish Professor".

In Twilight Zone, I saw her in S2, E7, "Nick of Time" with William Shatner. The other Twilight Zone episode was S4, Ep 10, "No Time Like The Past".

I'd like to send pictures of her, but copy, paste is not working here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Mason_(TV_Series)

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0107746

Sorry I copied these url adddresses out of the browser, although they don't seem to be working here.

Only times Patricia Breslin looks like Nancy Pelosi is when she has dark short chin length hair.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer

Wow, Tom, you nailed it! Great sleuthing!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
'Reserved For Mr. Bailey' (S4Ep12)

This is one of the very few 77 SS episodes I remember actually seeing as a kid when it was first aired. It rates as one of my top 10. Written and directed by Montgomery Pittman, it is a true tour de force for Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as the only visible actor in the story.

We begin with Stu coming home after a long business trip at 3:00 a.m. to his apartment in Sunset DeVille, indicated at being located at 6107 Atoll Ave. (Google maps show this actual address as a single family home, across from the Los Angeles Valley College at Fulton and Oxnard in Van Nuys--not an apartment complex off the Strip as indicated in the episode.) More about that in a bit.

Stu plops down on his couch to accomplish two things, answer a call from his girlfriend Melody (uncredited voice of Kathleen Crowley) and open a telegram that's been shoved under his door. The latter is the trigger for the whole story.

images
images

Bailey plopped on his couch at 3:00 a.m. and a damn fine still of my favorite angle of the office locale

After a little soft core innuendo-swapping with Melody, Bailey pops open the telegram which instructs him to call the office immediately. At this hour of the day, Stu is skeptical of anyone answering, only to be surprised that an unknown someone does. Off he races to the office to check, initially finding a van parked in front. Investigating its cargo, he discovers a glut of mannequin parts bunched together like an arterial clot. This is a forewarning of what he's about to encounter later. Continuing his search of the office, it's empty as expected. Almost. As he peeps into Jeff Spenser's space, a mighty whack on his head is administered for his inquisitiveness.

Stu wakes up in a desolate field stripped of money, ID and dignity. Spotting a remote town in the distance, he shambles to it--Rockton, population 2073. As of Stu's arrival, the population actually stands at only one plus him. The main drag looks like an 1850's Western street that could have been patrolled by Marshall Dillon. Buildings look as if a single cat fart would knock them down. Stu wisely heads for the empty saloon. Pouring a drink, he commences a one-on-one heartfelt discussion with a female mannequin who listens intently in a rather bland- face way without responding. Discouraged with her lack of interaction, Stu leaves to explore the hotel (also empty except for more mannequins), then returns to the saloon for a few more cocktails, which is exactly what I would do in such a situation. Miss Mannequin is still about as responsive as a turnip.
Suddenly a voice (uncredited Robert Douglas) booms over hidden speakers, identifying himself as Walter Van Nuys, maker of wax figures.
Walter is despondent at losing his lover Lazette DeVille--for which he blames Stu. "You will die before morning", he intones. Stu is promptly dropped through a trap door into a deep empty waste tank that begins to fill with water. Death by drowning is imminent save for his quick thinking in using his belt as a lasso to pull himself out of the tank. Walter is incensed, but so it Stu--who goes after the creep's hiding place.

In the end, the building in which Walter is hiding catches fire. Stu bails, Walter broils--so we never see actually see him. Walking away from the whole ugly mess while sopping wet and sooty from smoke, Stu breaks the fourth wall by looking directly at the camera--"Such a nice day for a walk", he chirps. The End.

This is a consummate episode, so much so that I can hardly find room to insert my usual droll asides. Playing it mostly straight is not my normal course to steer in these commentaries. But this is a prime example of why so many of the series' best shows involve the efforts of Montgomery Pittman--and there's no reason for me to defile it with too much of my snarkiness.

NOTE: There are some Pittmanisms in here that I'm not sure were intentional or not. For example, Walter's last name--Van Nuys, is the actual area in which Bailey's fake address is indicated on the Western Union telegram. Also, Lazette DeVille, is (in part) Stu's apartment's address.
One other unusual characteristic: EZ is the only actor's credit offered (at the opening scene), with the closing only listing the crew.

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Episode Commentary
'Reserved For Mr. Bailey' (S4Ep12)

This is one of the very few 77 SS episodes I remember actually seeing as a kid when it was first aired. It rates as one of my top 10. Written and directed by Montgomery Pittman, it is a true tour de force for Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as the only visible actor in the story.

We begin with Stu coming home after a long business trip at 3:00 a.m. to his apartment in Sunset DeVille, indicated at being located at 6107 Atoll Ave. (Google maps show this actual address as a single family home, across from the Los Angeles Valley College at Fulton and Oxnard in Van Nuys--not an apartment complex off the Strip as indicated in the episode.) More about that in a bit.

Stu plops down on his couch to accomplish two things, answer a call from his girlfriend Melody (uncredited voice of Kathleen Crowley) and open a telegram that's been shoved under his door. The latter is the trigger for the whole story.

images
images

Bailey plopped on his couch at 3:00 a.m. and a damn fine still of my favorite angle the office locale

After a little soft core innuendo-swapping with Melody, Bailey pops open the telegram which instructs him to call the office immediately. At this hour of the day, Stu is skeptical of anyone answering, only to be surprised that an unknown someone does. Off he races to the office to check, initially finding a van parked in front. Investigating its cargo, he discovers a glut of mannequin parts bunched together like an arterial clot. This is a forewarning of what he's about to encounter later. Continuing his search of the office, it's empty as expected. Almost. As he peeps into Jeff Spenser's space, a mighty whack on his head is administered for his inquisitiveness.

Stu wakes up in a desolate field, stripped of money, ID and dignity. Spotting a remote town in the distance, he shambles to it--Rockton, population 2073. As of Stu's arrival, the population stands at one plus him. The main drag looks like an 1850's Western street that could have been patrolled by Marshall Dillon. Buildings look as if a single cat fart would knock them down. Stu wisely heads for the empty saloon. Pouring a drink, he commences a one-on-one heartfelt discussion with a female mannequin who listens intently in a rather bland- face way without responding. Discouraged with her lack of interaction, Stu leaves to explore the hotel (also empty except for more mannequins), then returns to the saloon for a few more cocktails, which is exactly what I would do in such a situation. Miss Mannequin is still about as responsive as a turnip.
Suddenly a voice (uncredited Robert Douglas) booms over hidden speakers, identifying himself as Walter Van Nuys, maker of wax figures.
Walter is despondent at losing his lover Lazette DeVille--for which he blames Stu. "You will die before morning", he intones. Stu is promptly dropped through a trap door into a deep empty waste tank that begins to fill with water. Death by drowning is imminent save for his quick thinking in using his belt as a lasso to pull himself out of the tank. Walter is incensed, but so it Stu--who goes after the creep's hiding place.

In the end, the building in which Walter is hiding catches fire. Stu bails, Walter broils--so we never see actually see him. Walking away from the whole ugly mess while sopping wet and sooty from smoke, Stu breaks the fourth wall by looking directly at the camera--"Such a nice day for a walk", he chirps. The End.

This is a consummate episode, so much so that I can hardly find room to insert my usual droll asides. Playing it mostly straight is not my normal course to steer in these commentaries. But this is a prime example of why so many of the series' best shows involve the efforts of Montgomery Pittman--and there's no reason for me to defile it with too much of my snarkiness.

NOTE: There are some Pittmanisms in here that I'm not sure were intentional or not. For example, Walter's last name--Van Nuys, is the actual area in which Bailey's fake address is indicated on the Western Union telegram. Also, Lazette DeVille, is (in part) Stu's apartment's address.
One other unusual characteristic: EZ is the only actor's credit offered (at the opening scene), with the closing only listing the crew.
Thanks for a great review and for getting this thread back on its intended topic. Just remember it’s Spencer.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Arrrghhh!!! I’m not even going to correct it—a reminder to myself to pay attention. And I always have you, Gary, to gently point it out.

Yeah, Russ, I'm starting to take it personally! (Okay, not really.)

A great review of a great episode. It could easily fit as a Twilight Zone episode, and if it were one, it would be the best one. EZ singles this episode out for particular discussion in his autobiography. He admired it too.

It's hard to pick out one 77SS episode that is the best. There are simply too many good ones. But if one were to compile a list of the best episodes of a one-hour filmed drama series in TV history, this would have to be in the top ten.

And it is perhaps the best evidence that 77 Sunset Strip is one of the finest series in TV history. One can complain about the low budgets, but on the other hand, Warner Brothers at that time had so much infrastructure, and so much great talent under contract, that they could make their budgets go much farther than most TV production companies.

And actually, I suspect the budget for "Reserved for Mr. Bailey" was higher than normal. I mean, finding that standing ghost-town set, dressing it so thoroughly, and then actually burning down part of it. . . !

And yeah, Stu definitely breaks the fourth wall at the end, in the textbook manner.

By the way, in that last scene, notice that the panel van he elects not to drive is the same one that was in the Dino's breezeway full of mannequin parts.

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
EZ singles this episode out for particular discussion in his autobiography. He admired it too.
I forgot to mention the lithe athleticism of EZ in this episode. The scenes of him attempting to escape from the depths of the waste tank, and his precarious descent from the roof of a burning building could easily have been handled by stunt doubles--but EZ accomplished it like a pro. Considering he would have been about 42 years old at the time, quite impressive.

Last edited:

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
I forgot to mention the lithe athleticism of EZ in this episode. The scenes of him attempting to escape from the depths of the waste tank, and his precarious descent from the roof of a burning building could easily have been handled by stunt doubles--but EZ accomplished it like a pro. Considering he would have been about 42 years old at the time, quite impressive.

Yes, I've noticed that EZ does a lot of his own stunts. By an odd coincidence, Wifey and I were just talking about that yesterday.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
And I’m sure you’ve noticed Edd Byrnes does all his own stunts.

Reet! And I haven't noticed whether Roger Smith did any of his own stunts, but I know that he had a stand-in for the fistfight at the end of "The Office Caper." And also, as Wifey just pointed out, for the fistfight with Warren Stevens in "Perfect Setup."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks