What's new

77 Sunset Strip / Hawaiian Eye, etc. (2 Viewers)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great photos. She’s also one of the brides in “7 Brides for 7 Brothers” where she has a solo in one of the production numbers. Still billed as Ruta Kilmonis back then.

View attachment 51779
7 Brides for 7 Brothers...that credit alone should have told me she could really sing!

Of Ruta Lee's co-stars in Honey From the Bee, of course Connie Stevens is still with the living, and just like Ruta has a current credit in post production for imminent release. Nancy Walters unfortunately passed away in 2009 at the age of 76.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Dimitri Tiomkin was a long time family friend of Efrem Zimbalist jr., he knew his father, Efrem Sr., an acclaimed concert violinist, and his mother, Alma Gluck, a famed opera singer, for many years.

Randall, excellent sleuthing! I had put Tiomkin's appearance in this episode together time-wise with his scoring of Rio Bravo (one of our favorite films here at the Farm House), but I had not known he was a Zimbalist family friend.

Circles within circles!

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
1967 Press Photo
Ruta Lee sings in The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Milwaukee
Actress Ruta Lee belted out a song as the title character in "The Unsinkable Molly Brown" Friday night in the Music Under the Stars production in Washington park.

Another frequent guest star on 77 Sunset Strip who had a lovely voice was Kaye Elhardt, presuming that is her voice we hear singing in S3E30 "Vamp 'Til Ready," and I am pretty sure it is.

And let's not forget lovely Erin O'Brien, from the pilot, "Girl on The Run." She definitely sang her own songs in that episode; she was known as a singer before she became an actress. She had a fine voice.

Speaking of Erin O'Brien, Wifey the other day posited a possible bizarro reference to her "Girl on The Run" character in S1E23 "Pasadena Caper": the character Erin O'Day, who is as pretty as a picture but has a horribly non-lovely voice.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Another frequent guest star on 77 Sunset Strip who had a lovely voice was Kaye Elhardt, presuming that is her voice we hear singing in S3E30 "Vamp 'Til Ready," and I am pretty sure it is.
Kaye was on stage in Roger and Hammerstein’s Carousel at the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium in 1958.

images

Kaye Elhardt as artist model Dolores Martello in Violent Midnight (1963).

Based on this pic, I'm not sure If I care whether she could sing or not.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Great photos. She’s also one of the brides in “7 Brides for 7 Brothers” where she has a solo in one of the production numbers. Still billed as Ruta Kilmonis back then.

View attachment 51779

A friend recently invited me to watch his new blu-ray of this. The choreography is just amazing in this film.
Not only is Ruta Lee (Kilmonis) in it, but Julie Newmar as well!

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Back in February (message #773), John Hall referred us to DJ Neyer's excellent capsule reviews of each show from the first five seasons. It was an impressive effort, because he evidently did them mostly from memory; while he occasionally makes a factual error, I find his overall understanding of the show and its historical context extremely informative.

I was just reviewing the thread to check something I wanted to mention in an upcoming post, and I realized for the first time that the thread is still ongoing, so I thought I'd post the link here again:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mon...rip-a-semi-comprehensive-overview-t50263.html

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Back in February (message #773), John Hall referred us to DJ Neyer's excellent capsule reviews of each show from the first five seasons. It was an impressive effort, because he evidently did them mostly from memory; while he occasionally makes a factual error, I find his overall understanding of the show and its historical context extremely informative.

I was just reviewing the thread to check something I wanted to mention in an upcoming post, and I realized for the first time that the thread is still ongoing, so I thought I'd post the link here again:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/mon...rip-a-semi-comprehensive-overview-t50263.html
When I first read Neyer’s episode capsules I was suitably impressed.
Upon rereading now, however, I find them a bit too neatly folded for my taste— maybe because I’ve spent so much of my own time on each of the episodes.
Personally, Rob, I think your Viewer’s Guides are far more comprehensive and interesting.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
Episode Commentary
"The Well-Selected Frame" (S1Ep8)

A double entendre title that's a nice little compact story with Roger Smith in the lead as Jeff Spencer. There's enough tongue-in-cheek attitude in this early season one episode that probably helped propel the hipness factor of the series.

The opening has Jeff trolling the park for a female. After a few mistaken masher-type encounters, he finally finds his quarry in the lovely form of Valerie Stacey (Peggy Castle). The two immediately repair to Dino's for "the smoothest cocktails in town", where she confesses to Jeff that her wealthy husband (Bartlett Robinson) is trying to knock her off. Spoiler Alert: She's not exactly what she claims to be. A scheme is concocted for Jeff to pose as an architect ("what I know about architecture wouldn't even fill a grain of rice", he admonishes) at the Stacey home to ostensibly undertake some renovations. Jeff meets Mr. Stacey and Valerie's "brother", Alec (Captain Midnight himself, Richard Webb) and tippy-toes around some architectural chatter trying desperately not to reveal his true purpose.

images
upload_2018-11-20_13-5-9.jpeg
upload_2018-11-20_13-5-54.jpeg

Peggy Castle, Richard Webb, Frances Fong

Upon repairing to his room to unpack, Jeff encounters Lotus Wong (Frances Fong), Mr. Staley's devoted and stunning secretary. It's a credit to the scriptwriter that she comes across as a well-educated and sophisticated Asian-American as opposed to some stereotypes of this period.

The story progresses into a dubious frame-up of Jeff Spencer by the wife and her "brother" for the shooting death of Mr. Stacey. A rather ludicrous chase scene by cops through the house to find Spencer ends in Lotus hiding him in her bubbly bathtub. The two later reconnect at a beach house in Malibu (back when these were laughably referred to as "shacks") in order to concoct a plan to expose Valerie. In a not too surprising ending, her brother Alec turns out to actually be her first husband, a pilot reportedly killed in Korea. Valerie kept this a secret so as to inherit $20 million smackaroos from her now dead faux husband. Trying to bribe Jeff to take the fall, a courtroom scene ensues--which would have hit a wall of a million objections in a Perry Mason court--and unveils the whole plot.

We happily end with Jeff and Lotus sipping cocktails at Dino's while Frankie Ortega loudly bangs out a jazzy 77 SS theme rendition.
Not a top line episode, but certainly serviceable with appearances from Kookie and Stu to round out the cast.

NOTE: A brief and amusing scene has Hal Smith (town drunk Otis in The Andy Griffith Show) as a chatty motorist picking up hitchhiker Jeff while police cars whiz by looking for him.

Confession: I apologize for not spending as much time as usual on this particular episode--it's a bit room temperature compared to some of my other posts--but I felt that the thread was dragging a bit and needed a tiny injection of energy. And, by golly, I spelled Spencer correctly.

Last edited:

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Episode Commentary

A double entendre title that's a nice little compact story with Roger Smith in the lead as Jeff Spencer. There's enough tongue-in-cheek attitude in this early season one episode that probably helped propel the hipness factor of the series.

The opening has Jeff trolling the park for a female. After a few mistaken masher-type encounters, he finally finds his quarry in the lovely form of Valerie Stacey (Peggy Castle). The two immediately repair to Dino's for "the smoothest cocktails in town", where she confesses to Jeff that her wealthy husband (Bartlett Robinson) is trying to knock her off. Spoiler Alert: She's not exactly what she claims to be. A scheme is concocted for Jeff to pose as an architect ("what I know about architecture wouldn't even fill a grain of rice", he admonishes) at the Stacey home to ostensibly undertake some renovations. Jeff meets Mr. Stacey and Valerie's "brother", Alec (Captain Midnight himself, Richard Webb) and tippy-toes around some architectural chatter trying desperately not to reveal his true purpose.

images
View attachment 52135 View attachment 52136
Peggy Castle, Richard Webb, Frances Fong

Upon repairing to his room to unpack, Jeff encounters Lotus Wong (Frances Fong), Mr. Staley's devoted and stunning secretary. It's a credit to the scriptwriter that she comes across as a well-educated and sophisticated Asian-American as opposed to some stereotypes of this period.

The story progresses into a dubious frame-up of Jeff Spencer by the wife and her "brother" for the shooting death of Mr. Stacey. A rather ludicrous chase scene by cops through the house to find Spencer ends in Lotus hiding him in her bubbly bathtub. The two later reconnect at a beach house in Malibu (back when these were laughably referred to as "shacks") in order to concoct a plan to expose Valerie. In a not too surprising ending, her brother Alec turns out to actually be her first husband, a pilot reportedly killed in Korea. Valerie kept this a secret so as to inherit $20 million smackaroos from her now dead faux husband. Trying to bribe Jeff to take the fall, a courtroom scene ensues--which would have hit a wall of a million objections in a Perry Mason court--and unveils the whole plot.

We happily end with Jeff and Lotus sipping cocktails at Dino's while Frankie Ortega loudly bangs out a jazzy 77 SS theme rendition.
Not a top line episode, but certainly serviceable with appearances from Kookie and Stu to round out the cast.

NOTE: A brief and amusing scene has Hal Smith (town drunk Otis in The Andy Griffith Show) as a chatty motorist picking up hitchhiker Jeff while police cars whiz by looking for him.

Confession: I apologize for not spending as much time as usual on this particular episode--it's a bit room temperature compared to some of my other posts--but I felt that the thread was dragging a bit and needed a tiny injection of energy. And, by golly, I spelled Spencer correctly.
And Mr. Spencer and I thank you!

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
When I first read Neyer’s episode capsules I was suitably impressed. Upon rereading now, however, I find them a bit too neatly folded for my taste— maybe because I’ve spent so much of my own time on each of the episodes. Personally, Rob, I think your Viewer’s Guides are far more comprehensive and interesting.

Thanks, Russ! I agree that we both do more comprehensive treatments of the episodes. And, as I said Neyer does make a number of factual errors.

In Neyer's defense, he did write those over five years ago, at a time when the show was not running anywhere, and he did seem to be writing them mostly from memory. And, as he said at the beginning, his intention was simply to provide better and more accurate capsules than are available on IMDb, and he certainly succeeded at that.

I value his efforts mostly because it is another intelligent view of the show to add to those found in abundance here. I also value his observations regarding the times in which 77SS aired, and how the darkening mood of the country during the show's run affected the course of the show.

As you know, I've made observations along these lines, and his tend to be congruent with mine. Moreover, he seems to have some knowledge of the pressure being applied behind the scenes to make the show darker and less humorous, although he unfortunately cites no references to support his assertions in this regard.

In any event, I was hoping that if some of us popped up on that thread, we might inform the participants there of this more vital and active thread, in the hopes that they might join us.

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
Episode Commentary

Nice writeup of one of my favorite episodes! It is certainly one of the most noirish, with Peggie Castle as an excellent noir femme fatale.

You're right that the proceedings during the coroner's hearing are a bit ludicrous for a criminal trial, but then, a coroner's hearing is not a criminal trial. Its only aim is to determine cause of death, and back when such hearings actually meant something, a coroner was apt to allow things that would not be allowed in a criminal trial, if he was convinced that such things would shed light on the cause of death.

Thanks for kick-staring the thread! I've been busy with seasonal activities, but I am preparing a Viewer's Guide for an upcoming episode.

Oh, and an interesting sidelight on this episode: It was remade as an episode of Bourbon Street Beat: S1E32 "Suitable for Framing," part of their long run of W. Hermanos episodes. Rex was in the Jeff role. It's pretty good!

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
In any event, I was hoping that if some of us popped up on that thread, we might inform the participants there of this more vital and active thread, in the hopes that they might join us.
When I first discovered Neyer's 77 SS thread many months ago (in a Classic Horror Movie forum of all places), I did weigh in and invite him and the few other participants to our own thread here. I got not so much as a nod of acknowledgment or interest. I took a bit of umbrage to that rebuff. One would think that love of the series would kindle some curiosity to at least peek into our window.

I'm still hoping that somehow Edd Byrnes or Robert Logan stumbles onto us at some point. Can you even imagine what they could add to our discussions??

criblecoblis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Spencer
When I first discovered Neyer's 77 SS thread many months ago (in a Classic Horror Movie forum of all places), I did weigh in and invite him and the few other participants to our own thread here. I got not so much as a nod of acknowledgment or interest.

Ah. I didn't realize you'd already done this. Well, it was a good thought! I'm sorry to hear no one took you up on the invitation. It's hard for me to understand anyone's refusing an opportunity to discuss an area of interest with intelligent, like-minded folks.

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
On this day of many thanks, I’d like to add my own to all the participants in this small world of nostalgia we’ve created. Whether you’re posting commentaries, responses or just “likes”, it’s great that we can share memories of days we’ll see again only by looking back.

May your day be filled with good food, good drink and good friends.

images

Last edited:

Rustifer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russ J.
View attachment 52516

Happy 69th, Russ! Have a great day.
Why thanks, Lutz. It should be a fine day— the kids will be here to give their old man grief about my age and ability to move about as fast as sidewalk gum. Homemade pizzas are on the menu, and more than a few cocktails and spirited discussions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks