What's new

70 MM later this year from FOX (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I read the report and while I applaud both these two titles coming to Blu-ray, I was concerned with the following statement:

Additionally, film opticals made at the time looked "crude by contemporary standards", so it was decided to apply sharpening and grain reduction "to make those scenes look more acceptable to modern viewers."

It was followed by this statement:

Hopefully the results will be subtler than those on the previous 70mm films from Fox previously released on Blu-ray.

Oh well, I guess we can get ready for a long forum on this subject. But, I will add these two titles to my list to check out when they arrive. Thanks for the information Greg.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Just when I finally get around to buying The Agony and the Ecstasy on DVD...

On the most recent DVD of The Sound of Music, the restoration featurette talks about the negative for that being A/B rolled. I guess these films were not? Or am I misunderstanding the nature of A/B rolling.

I'm guessing we may also see this for 1950s Cinemascope films.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
Anything they can do to make terrible optical dissolves better is aces with me - they couldn't make them look better then, so why not do it now? Certainly no one could complain about that because if these films were being made today none of them would have those sorts of opticals and it's certainly not part of the director or cameraman's design or want. Certainly no one could complain... Oh, wait, I forgot where I was :)

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Just when I finally get around to buying The Agony and the Ecstasy on DVD...

On the most recent DVD of The Sound of Music, the restoration featurette talks about the negative for that being A/B rolled. I guess these films were not? Or am I misunderstanding the nature of A/B rolling.

I'm guessing we may also see this for 1950s Cinemascope films.
A/B roll is used primarily with 16mm film to help hide the splices. 16mm film has so little space between the frames and the splice, that it is visible when projected unless A/B roll editing is used. Also for a time there was no way to do a dissolve in a 16mm film, hence A/B roll.

Any film where the splices show up in projection, IE early Cinemascope films before the change from 2.35:1 to 2.40:1, might use A/B roll to help hide the splices. I'm not sure why a 70mm film would need to unless there was some damage done to the film.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by BillyFeldman

Anything they can do to make terrible optical dissolves better is aces with me - they couldn't make them look better then, so why not do it now? Certainly no one could complain about that because if these films were being made today none of them would have those sorts of opticals and it's certainly not part of the director or cameraman's design or want. Certainly no one could complain... Oh, wait, I forgot where I was :)
I really don't have a problem with them fixing old optical dissolves, however they are an interesting artifact of a different age of film making.

Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by ahollis

I read the report and while I applaud both these two titles coming to Blu-ray, I was concerned with the following statement:

Additionally, film opticals made at the time looked "crude by contemporary standards", so it was decided to apply sharpening and grain reduction "to make those scenes look more acceptable to modern viewers."

It was followed by this statement:

Hopefully the results will be subtler than those on the previous 70mm films from Fox previously released on Blu-ray.

Oh well, I guess we can get ready for a long forum on this subject. But, I will add these two titles to my list to check out when they arrive. Thanks for the information Greg.
Hopefully they're only referring to grain reduction in scenes that would be swimming with grain caused by multiple passes through an optical printer; @ least, that's the way I'm reading it. That's a circumstance where I find grain reduction acceptable, provided no high frequency detail is lost.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Technicolor started to A/B roll dissolves on 35mm features in about 1959. This allowed them to have the same generation as the original camera negative, since the printing matrices were made from the OCN. You will notice Technicolor films from this period on don't have the in-and-out "pop" at dissolves. I believe they even received a technical academy award for this development at the time.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Most 65mm productions were cut and conformed either A/B roll or auto select.
I was not aware of that. Never worked with 65mm film. Thanks for the info.

Doug

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Derek M Germano

HELLO, DOLLY! is a 70mm Fox offering that I would like to see on Blu-ray.
Dolly will probably be on BD at some point. Wall-E created a boost in interest, so I'm sure it'll happen. Hopefully the picture and sound will be better than the DVD.

I assume we can also expect The Sound of Music within the next couple of years (next year is its 45th anniversary, and it tends to get reissued for multiple-of-five anniversaries).

The Todd-AO version of Oklahoma! probably needs restoration (I hope they don't dare release the crummy 2005 transfer in SD on Blu-Ray, but after the roadshow version of South Pacific was done that way I wouldn't put it past them).

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
It would be SO tragic if the Todd-AO version of OKLAHOMA! isn't done right with a proper restoration/remastering and released on Blu-ray. It's a better version of the film than the Scope version, and if it were to be done correctly, it would be simply stunning.

Of course, what we have now on DVD is unwatchable to my eyes.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Some original negative rolls are full of dissolves that run the length of the scene, that means a lot of artificial sharpening and grain reduction!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I must say that I was surprised that Hello Dolly has not already been released in BD given the sucess of Wall E .Fox lost a lot of sales by not advertising it as "See Wall E's favourite Film"!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by john a hunter

I must say that I was surprised that Hello Dolly has not already been released in BD given the sucess of Wall E .Fox lost a lot of sales by not advertising it as "See Wall E's favourite Film"!
Perhaps they don't want to do a rush job. The existing DVD master does not do it justice.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by john a hunter

I think that Fox might indeed have been able to see higher sales for Hello, Dolly ! if they had released it in conjunction with the Wall-E Blu-Ray but I am quite certain that they were not ready to go with a master that was deemed worthy for a release and that they wanted to take their time and not rush things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks