What's new

$3000 to spend on a TV.... (1 Viewer)

Mike-Post

Grip
Here are the requirements:
#1) Size is the most important
#2) Picture Quality
#3) Quality of technology. i.e. plasma's shortened life.

Viewing habits:
1) Digital Cable
2) HDTV (Just got the box)
3) DVD
4) VCR

Size of Box & viewing angle are of no concern.

Mind you, this is not for me.

Suggestions?

I already have my TV... Sony KV34HS510.

Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mike, please ask this sort of question in the Display Devices area. The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level, not specific model recommendations. Thanks.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Sony has a 65" that can be found for $2500. Also, if front projection is an option your friend could certainly find an lcd or dlp projecter for under $3000 that could give him a 110" screen (assuming he has the room for it).

Mike-Post

Grip
It's actually ~ 14' viewing distance.

Another caveat. She has a Gamecube & wants to hook that up to the TV as well.

I thought of Front projection, but figured lighting would be an issue.

Well the sony 65ws550 or the mits 65513 seem to be your best bets.I got a 60 gwIII for 3200 which is the cheapest ive ever seen it for,but crts will give ya most bang for the buck.

Mike-Post

Grip
Hmmm... The funny thing is, she HAS the Mits 65513 & doesn't like it. she claims there is a blurry spot in the lower left corner, the place she bought it from gave her another one, and they said all the 65513's have that.

I don't think I would go 65" at 14' viewing distance myself. Especially if she's going to watch mostly digital cable. I told her the Sony KF-42WE610 + stand would be a good choice, but she wants a larger screen.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
14' away should be plenty for a 65" screen. Tell her to try the Sony or the 65" Hitachi. If she doesn't like those then she's just about out of good quality 65" screens and should consider moving to a technolgy other than CRT (which will likely require a smaller screen).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks