What's new

3-Disc Black Hawk Down R4 just announced...when is R1 due? (1 Viewer)

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
That Philadelphia Enquirer website is very nice.
When I first saw it a year ago, I noticed all the maps, and audio clips, and thought- "This stuff would look great on a special edition DVD!"...

As for the characters, I read the book first, and was actually pleased with the movie. Emmerson was a composite of Emmerson and Ditomasso, and all the Delta troops were composites, but overall I thought most of the characters were just how I imagined them.
Especially Captain Steel, and the Col McNight. I thought they were dead-on accurate.

Overall, the story was fairly accurate, except that it was usually worse then it was shown. Especially for the Humvees, but also for Stebbins. He REALLY WAS hit by 3 rockets, but the last one burned his paints off!.

A feature I would like is a "follow the rabbit" where it links to maps, or even sections of the documentary that reflect that part of the film.

NIck

Dom P.

Stunt Coordinator
Wow.. this is easily one of my favorite movies. I really can't wait until the R1 S.E. is out.. We need a release date!!!!

LennyP

Supporting Actor
First it's R1 barebones release, then R2 releases, 2disc set, then 3disc French, Belgium, and Australian releases. Reading this thread I was gona buy the R4 version but Charlie de Lauzirika's tiny little post almost convinced me to wait for R1

Here is a comparison of all of those and more releases, Nordic one has DTS:

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...e.php?fid=2136

aaargghh I don't believe this, but honestly what more can u put on there??
I thought DTS was out of question as there's not enough space due to the 3 commentaries?
Well, it could be a 4 disc set with the movie spread over the first 2 discs like with LotR and Pearl Harbor, then you could have a full bitrate DTS and 3 commentaries. :emoji_thumbsup:

Edit:
These two things seem to be absent from the R2 3disc releases:

‘Target Building Insertion’ – multi-angle scene deconstruction with optional commentary
Gortoz A Ran – J’Attends music video performed by Lisa Gerrard and Denez Prigent

So R4 is now the ultimate best edition. It goes something like this:

R1/R4 Barebones < R3 < R2 Nordic DTS < R2 UK 2Disc < R2 French 3Disc < R4 Australian 3Disc SE < R1 4Disc DTS SE?

RobertW

Supporting Actor
A feature I would like is a "follow the rabbit" where it links to maps, or even sections of the documentary that reflect that part of the film.
that would be terrific. animated maps that followed the events step by step would be an excellent addition.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
that would be terrific. animated maps that followed the events step by step would be an excellent addition.

DanR

Supporting Actor
I would strongly recommend waiting for the R1 release. Trust me.
Curiosity has hit its peak with that comment!!! How can the Region 1 release be any better? If this is to hit in June we are probably getting really close to an official announcement.

With the specs for BHD: SE hitting the internet, and Indiana Jones basically confirmed for November of this year, I simply cannot remember a more exciting week for DVD since it hit market in 1997. Amazing.

Throw in a LOTR: The Two Towers extended edition in November and this could be the best year ever.

Regards,
Dan

PS: Charlie, if you are allowed to answer: Is the re-release of Tony Scott's Crimson Tide dead at this point?

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
This sounds like an awesome three disc set and I will be getting it. But I can't believe it most likely won't have DTS. I mean come on, it won the Academy Award for best sound!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
R1 4Disc DTS SE?
I don't remember hearing that this was 4 disc set. Although nothing has been announced, it appears that it could only be 3 discs (one disc for the film and 2 for the bonus features).

Also, with the information we have received so far, it seems that DTS will not be included. Perhaps, Charlie would like to confirm or deny this...

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
‘The True Story Of Black Hawk Down’ – a 92 minute History Channel documentary on the events that inspired the movie
How cool!! :emoji_thumbsup: I wish we could see more of this done for movies based on historical fact. With as much "dramatizing" that goes on in Hollywood, this is a great supplement. I can think of a dozen movies that I love that already have a completed History Channel, Biography Channel, TLC, etc. documentary done for them. I've also seen several "History vs. Hollywood" shows done for this genre of movie.

I think including this as a supplement is important today as unfortunately, our culture learns much of its' history from the movies.

I can't remember the specific context, but Roger Ebert made a comment about Pearl Harbor on last weeks show and said something to the effect that if the movie "Pearl Harbor" was your only reference to the actual events of Pearl Harbor, you'd think the Japanese led an attack on a love triangle in Hawaii. Cracked me up.

Peace,

DM

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Well, it could be a 4 disc set with the movie spread over the first 2 discs like with LotR and Pearl Harbor, then you could have a full bitrate DTS and 3 commentaries.
LennyP the DTS is absent from the R2 3DVDsets the 3 commentaries are on the DVD!!
I don't think the movie will be split in two.
the movie (144min!!) The reason why LOTR was split is the running time of over 200min. I don't think 144min warrant 2 discs.
maybe a DTS only version?

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
If you want DTS, apparently there is a pretty good chance that a Superbit will be coming this year, as Dave H said in another thread. Nothing for sure though.

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
PS: Charlie, if you are allowed to answer: Is the re-release of Tony Scott's Crimson Tide dead at this point?
Sorry I missed your question, Dan. I honestly have no idea what's going on with Crimson Tide: SE. I was only minimally involved -- I conducted the commentary session with Tony. That's it. Strange that the R2 release doesn't have the commentary. It was informative and fun.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Just FYI...i have the DTS version of CT from R3.

It shakes my entire room. ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL!!!

Only it's non-anamorphic. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks