What's new

3-Disc Black Hawk Down R4 just announced...when is R1 due? (1 Viewer)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Expect an eventual Superbit version.
Crimson Tide sadly won't see a Superbit release any time soon, as it's owned by Buena Vista and not Columbia, the champions of Superbit. I just hope that the mouse's recent leanings towards dts will extend to the R1 CT and Enemy of the State re-releases. And you guys will finally get these titles with anamorphic transfers! Still, I picked up the R2 'Special Editions' really cheap, so yet another upgrade won't hit my wallet too badly - and the same goes for BHD. Roll on May!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Crimson Tide sadly won't see a Superbit release any time soon, as it's owned by Buena Vista and not Columbia, the champions of Superbit.
Sorry, I meant Black Hawk Down. It's definitely coming as a Superbit before the year's end.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I just don't see why it has to be superbit. If they release a multidisc version with the movie having a disc to itself there is no reason it can't include the best possible picture and a commentary track. If not I suspect ct is deliberatly not giving us the best quality in order to get us to buy both the superbit and the special edition.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just don't see why it has to be superbit. If they release a multidisc version with the movie having a disc to itself there is no reason it can't include the best possible picture and a commentary track. If not I suspect ct is deliberatly not giving us the best quality in order to get us to buy both the superbit and the special edition.
Why can't there be a Superbit? Given this is almost a 2 1/2 hour movie, every bit counts for picture and audio. I do think that they should not have released the barebones disc last June, and waited to release the upcoming 3-disc set and a Superbit.

Gareth Flynn

Stunt Coordinator
Gareth,

see my info on Page 2. I already posted this...and I have it. But it's also non-anamorphic.
Craig - I was referring to Black Hawk Down, not Crimson Tide. The Japanese Region 2 release of Black Hawk Down is listed as anamorphic by both CD Japan and Sazuma. I'll be holding out for the R1 SE and Superbit releases, myself.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Dave, what he's saying is that if the movie already has a disc to itself, there's no reason they can't do a top notch transfer to begin with. The only way a SUperbit would be better is if they didn't do their best with the current release.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

Superbits do not contain commentary tracks - this might take a little away from the picture quality.

I would imagine the transfer will look great on the 3-disc. Aren't they doing a new transfer this time because the subtitles will not be player generated and are going to be in the film? I will say the current version transfer looks very good anyway.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Theoretically wouldn't the barebones release with two dolby 5.1 tracks and minimal extras have better picture quality than a superbit with one dolby 5.1 track and a dts track? On the barebones release more bits are available for video. I think tbis illustrates my main problem with the whole superbit concept. A commentary track should have minimal impact on the picture quality if at all. Therefore any release called a special edition should first and foremost strive to provide the buyer with the best posible quality presentation of the film. Extras can then be provided on additional discs. There would then be no need to also release a superbit edition.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Several superbits have had a stereo track or alt language track. Commentary wouldn't take any more room. Besides, the amount of space for a mono DD track is trivial compared to the other things on the disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks