What's new

2x6 wall and R13? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have built my theater walls using a 2x6 base with 2x4 staggered studs. Well R13 leaves a air void in this 6" wall. Would it be best to fill with another layer of R13 or leave the air void. My wisdom said more insulation but my budget said the void will be fine.
I figure under $80. would fill the void! But money is getting tighter.
Wes

Brett Robert

Agent
I wouldn't leave a void. If you haven't bought the insulation yet get R-19 for the 6 inch wall. If you have got it already then just get the cheep R-11 unfaced stuff for the void. Just my $.02...

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
If money is really tight and 80 is too much, how bout going half way? Get some cheaper insulation for the space its not as expensive but its better than nothing extra insulation. But then again you could be haunted by wondering if it would have been better just to spend the xtra couple bucks now to make sure you get the best possible sound proofing. If I were in the same spot, i'd fill it with something. Once you close it up its too late to change your mind. I figure better to have extra than not enough and regret it later. My $.02
Or...try holding a "Fund my Home Theater" party and make your friends pay for it
biggrin.gif

------------------
Crash
"Even if you were right, that would be one plus one plus two plus one, not one plus TWO plus one plus one..."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Thanks for the replies, I now have decided to fork out the extra bucks and fill the void with R13. Steve that is a great idea! Donation checks can be sent to The West Jordan Zions Bank "In care of the, Save the Home Theater fund"!
Thanks, the donations will be much appreciated!
Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks