What's new

20th century fox TV archives MOD program (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
ponset said:
Life of Riley with Wiliam Bendex was also a long running radio series, 1944-1951. FUNNY SHOW!
Burt Lancaster and Red Skelton each made a special guest apperance on the series.

I would too be interested in seeing the TV Version of the this series.
Getting the life of Riley On DVD would be great .It's an unfairly neglected and forgotten show . Strange that Fox sees merit in a 20 episode cop show , but not this long running series.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i am kinda surprised that so many people have an interest in peyton place.

i would not have thought old soap operas would be all that desirable.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
jimmyjet said:

It was one of, if not the first primetime soap, with continuing story arcs. It ran for 5 seasons and 514 episodes.

That was what separated Peyton Place from every other primetime series that came before it. That's why people who grew up with it, want to see it completed.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
my dad would not let me and my younger sister watch it !!

but my 2 older sisters could.

typically a person has a desire to do something "that he is not supposed to do".

but i never had an interest in watching it back then.

however, it is another show that i would probably get when there was a good sale on it.

it is always nice to hear about another new release.

it seems like they are only putting out quality releases of stuff now.

with all the stuff that is already out, 2-3 complete series a year would be a wonderful pace.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
LOL - my 2 older sisters used to love that show. my mom usually sided with them.

from 3-4 it was general hospital and dark shadows. i always wanted to watch felix the cat !!

i never saw a second of it, but i still know that barnabas was the main character - or at least the one i heard them talk about. i think he was a vampire.

even as a kid, i thought it was silly. but then my sisters probably thought felix was silly !!!!!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:

they're not

if they were, then sales would have been good enough for Shout Factory to continue releasing the show

you can find any show, regardless of how long it ran, and they'll be a handful of people who want it

that doesn't mean it will sell well enough for a company to make money on it

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Really, Neil Brock? Why be such a disrepectful wet blanket? The fact that all 1225 episodes of Dark Shadows have been released on both VHS and DVD proves that there is an audience! Also, the original Dallas is complete, and Dynasty is close to completion. Just because a particular type of program is not your cup of tea, please show proper respect to those who do like the show(s) in question.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
For the record, "Peyton Place" was never "just" a soap opera. It was a nighttime prime time drama with a continuing storyline, shot on film, not on tape, based on one of the biggest-selling novels of the previous decade, which had previously been adapted into a big-budget movie that had been nominated for Best Picture (for 1957). Plus, it featured a prestigious cast of veteran actors and high-profile newcomers who became stars. Critics labeled it a "nighttime soap," but its producers and studio (Fox) never intended it as such.

For the record, I have never seen an episode myself. My sisters watched it when we were kids, but I was more interested in shows like "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and "The Wild Wild West." I did eventually see PEYTON PLACE, the 1957 movie version, and thought it was excellent and have seen it multiple times since, including on the big screen at the Museum of Modern Art. I own the book but have yet to read it.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Actually, PP executive producer Paul Monash, along with the ABC honchos were inspired by a 'nightime soap'- but an English one: the still-running Coronation Street, which debuted in 1960! Monash was friendly with one of the chief programmers, who said that ABC was thinking of making a show like the British one. Monash, as a Fox producer, knew that the studio owned the rights to Peyton Place (the original novel) and had two hit films from it, so he correctly guessed that it would be an ideal property for a primetime continuing drama.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Great debate about Peyton Place. Just think all started by Jimmy. I enjoyed reading all the posts.

I want to stay on the subject of a release from Fox in their MOD Archive program. I do not care about what went on in the past. 2015 I look for the vault to open with a limited edition series set from Fox.

People are still buying the show. Check out this link and the reviews on the side which are only 1 month old. I am glad Shout product is selling.

http://www.amazon.com/Peyton-Place-Part-Barbara-Parkins/dp/B001XW7ID6/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1417801286&sr=1-2&keywords=peyton+place

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I forgot to make mention that it is Charles passion for Peyton Place that helped bring it to Shout's attention. The fact that this is the 50th anniversary of Peyton Place has also brought about increased sales of the series. The MOD program at Fox is the best place to release the complete series to the fans of this great dramatic series.

There is whole list of worthy shows in the Fox Vault. I hope by this time next year we will have a Peyton Place release along with several other series.

Good Luck in 2015 to all fans of Fox Classic TV Series

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Charles Ellis said:
Really, Neil Brock? Why be such a disrepectful wet blanket? The fact that all 1225 episodes of Dark Shadows have been released on both VHS and DVD proves that there is an audience! Also, the original Dallas is complete, and Dynasty is close to completion. Just because a particular type of program is not your cup of tea, please show proper respect to those who do like the show(s) in question.
Dark Shadows has attained cult status. It also is a horror soap, as opposed to a regular soap. In addition, it has had a ton of syndication and has never been out of public view for any length of time. PP had poor syndication and its only airings in the past several decades were on FoxNet and the Romance Channel, 2 networks with minimal availabilty. Sorry if my being truthful is bothersome to you. Its just one of those series that we will just have to be content to have from our VHS SP off-air recordings. Not the best option but better than not having it at all.

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Vahan_Nisanain
Neil Brock said:
Dark Shadows has attained cult status. It also is a horror soap, as opposed to a regular soap. In addition, it has had a ton of syndication and has never been out of public view for any length of time. PP had poor syndication and its only airings in the past several decades were on FoxNet and the Romance Channel, 2 networks with minimal availabilty. Sorry if my being truthful is bothersome to you. Its just one of those series that we will just have to be content to have from our VHS SP off-air recordings. Not the best option but better than not having it at all.
Don't forget USA Network.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Charles Ellis said:
Actually, PP executive producer Paul Monash, along with the ABC honchos were inspired by a 'nightime soap'- but an English one: the still-running Coronation Street, which debuted in 1960! Monash was friendly with one of the chief programmers, who said that ABC was thinking of making a show like the British one. Monash, as a Fox producer, knew that the studio owned the rights to Peyton Place (the original novel) and had two hit films from it, so he correctly guessed that it would be an ideal property for a primetime continuing drama.
I just watched an episode from a series produced by Paul Monash in 1961, "Cain's Hundred." It was on YouTube. The episode starred Jack Lord and Charles Bronson and was a waterfront labor drama, a la ON THE WATERFRONT, with Harold J. Stone as a corrupt trucking boss. I'd never seen an episode before, but it was excellent. Great casting in it. Everyone looked like they belonged in that setting and not like they came from Central Casting.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Neil Brock said:
Not to mention that Dark Shadows was licensed to MPI as an independently-owned production at reasonable cost. Fox, on the other hand, isn't famous for low-rent licensing fees and the reality is that Shout didn't see enough sales to merit any additional releases. Business is business.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would only be interesting a couple more releases just to get to the end of the Stella Chernak plotline and Lee Grant in one of her best roles.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Healthy debate is good. Perhaps some people know a bit more about the 3rd release from Shout in 2009 .

The great thing is that Neil answered Charles in another thread some time ago. There was no MOD program from Fox at the time of Neil response. I remember his response because Peyton Place was the subject.

I have also said before in other threads that when Neil speaks I tend to listen. Charles said it was his hope more PP would be released.

Neil you responded that sadly we including yourself must hang on to our Romance Channel recordings because you did not see the show ever being released again.

USA did have a run at the show back in the 80s. The entire show was also syndicated in the mid 70s to local stations all over the country.

Direct TV broadcast Romance Channel from the very start. TV guide reported the new channel would begin to broadcast on Valentines Day 1997. TV guide reported in a special piece that Peyton Place would head up their program schedule. I have been with Direct ever since.

Dark Shadows fans and Peyton Place fans seem to love both shows. Hey DS was only syndicated for it's first 6 months of Barnabas and then the first year of Barnabas across the country in the mid 70s and then the 80s. NJN gave us the first 3 years.

Point blank is that I believe a complete series release in 2015 will happen.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
514 half hour episodes (Over 100 a season) is an awful lot for a complete series release. We're talking 15 seasons or so worth if it were a weekly program like a sitcom of the era, to help illustrate just how much material this represents.

In my opinion, it would have to be season sets if it were to happen. Even more likely, split volumes like CBS does for some programs. They'd likely have to split it three ways just to get it down to the usual count of 5-6 discs for the typical season release of material from back then on DVD.

Loading a disc up with about 8 episodes, which is about the limit if properly encoded before compression issues start to become noticeable, you'd be looking at 64 discs. Even going to the extreme end of the scale like Mill Creek does leaves us looking at approximately 40 discs. And I don't even want to do the math for a more conventional 5-6 episodes to a disc...

I just don't see how it could ever work out as a complete set. Are there really that many dedicated PP fans that would be willing to pay for what surely would be a several hundred dollar set? Just season sets would be really up there and require a sizable and dedicated fan base to ever work out for the publisher.

Too bad publishers don't take advantage of standard definition content on Blu-Ray, since assuming that usable transfers are available, it could make this release much more realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks