What's new

General Discussion 2024 (film year 2023) Oscar Pre-Nominations Discussion and Predictions (2 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I liked the "Shazam" sequel more than the 1st, and none of the other "Worst Picture" noms are truly awful.
Your thoughts as compared to my thoughts prove how personal and subjective the whole setup of awards season is.

The first Shazam! film is my favorite thing from the DCEU, and I absolutely hated Fury of the Gods. I thought it was complete garbage that totally misunderstood the appeal of the first movie. It absolutely deserves to be in Worst Picture consideration in my opinion.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is the YouTube video where the nominations announcement is about to go live:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm amazed the Razzies didn't nominate The Marvels for anything.
I'm sure they did it to avoid getting accused of sexism so not only are they basically internet trolls, they're also cowards for not attacking someone/thing that would get them yelled at. It's safer and easier to trash a bunch of other comic book movies or celebrities that won't get them called misogynists.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Your thoughts as compared to my thoughts prove how personal and subjective the whole setup of awards season is.

The first Shazam! film is my favorite thing from the DCEU, and I absolutely hated Fury of the Gods. I thought it was complete garbage that totally misunderstood the appeal of the first movie. It absolutely deserves to be in Worst Picture consideration in my opinion.

I didn't care for the 1st "Shazam" much. As I said in my review: "too dark for little kids, too silly for adults, and too long for such a thin plot."

The sequel seemed more consistent. And Levi is much less annoying the 2nd time.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
It all depends on the nominating committee for the Razzies. Maybe a majority didn’t mind The Marvels?

Disclosure: I rated The Marvels 3/5 so I don’t think it was a Razzie-type film.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I’ll wait till Tino adds the nominations to the main thread but… no Anatomy of a Fall for International film? Must be a language requirement.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
no Anatomy of a Fall for International film?
Anatomy of a Fall was never eligible for International Film. Each country is allowed to submit one film for consideration and France selected The Taste of Things as their entry in that category. The distributor of the film (in this case Neon) was allowed to submit it in other categories, but not for International Film because it was not France's choice. This ended up being a stupid decision on the part of the French nominating committee.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anatomy of a Fall was never eligible for International Film. Each country is allowed to submit one film for consideration and France selected The Taste of Things as their entry in that category. The distributor of the film (in this case Neon) was allowed to submit it in other categories, but not for International Film because it was not France's choice. This ended up being a stupid decision on the part of the French nominating committee.

Wonder if they just figured AoaF would get nominated for BP anyway, so opted for that instead...

_Man_

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wonder if they just figured AoaF would get nominated for BP anyway, so opted for that instead...
No, because an International Film is meant to represent the country. Anatomy of a Fall will not be representing France if it wins Best Picture, where the award would go to its producers.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
It all depends on the nominating committee for the Razzies. Maybe a majority didn’t mind The Marvels?

Disclosure: I rated The Marvels 3/5 so I don’t think it was a Razzie-type film.

I don't think most of those picks were "Razzie-worthy".

Used to be Razzies went after genuinely awful, irredeemable movies.

This crop feels more like "big studio movies that had flaws".

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph

_Man_
Highly doubtful. They just thought TASTE OF THINGS had a better shot since it's a foodie film and they often do well. Think CHOCOLAT and BABETTE'S FEAST.
Plus, the lead actress is German and the dialogue is a mix of French, German and English. They just thought it was more "French". They screwed up and it bit them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks