What's new

2023 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The season really should be shortened to 154 games, to accommodate the expanded playoffs, and the possibility of bad weather. Sorry to flog a dead horse.
Also so teams aren't completely gassed and worn out by the time playoffs arrive. It's pretty much a continuous grind for seven months straight (not even counting pre-season).

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I’m sure the network can’t be happy as ratings might be record lows.

Since 2000, the highest rated World Series was 2004, when the the Boston Red Sox won over St. Louis. I wouldn't have thought a 4 game series would've been the highest rated, but it was the Red Sox finally winning one since 1918!

Since 2000 - Highest rated:
2004 (Red Sox/Cardinals in 4 games)
2001 (Arizona/Yankees in 7)
2016 (Cubs/Indians in 7)
2009 (Yankees/Phillies in 6)
2017 (Astr*s/Dodgers in 7)

Lowest rated:
2020 (Dodgers/Rays in 6)
2021 (Braves/Astros in 6)
2022 (Astros/Phillies in 6)
2012 (Giants/Tigers in 4)
2008 (Phillies/Rays in 5)

Will this year's WS be on the lowest rated list; seems to be a trend. Maybe more will watch it this year because neither the Dodgers or Astros will be in it. In the last six World Series the Astros and/or Dodgers have been in it.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
It looks like those who prognosticate are betting on the Rangers to win the WS. Just as they were in the Wild Card Round and the NLDS and the NLCS, Arizona is considered the underdog. I looked up the 4 games TX and AZ played each other this past season. Arizona won 3 and Texas won 1.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm exhausted and it's only G1. What a performance. Seager and Garcia are on a monster roll right now.

If Christian Walker can't get out of his horrendous slump, AZ might be in a really bad spot.

I saw that Scherzer was doing his off-day/bullpen work after the game so still a bit of a wild card if he's going to be effective at all.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
And Texas is one-up; three away from their first-ever title under that name.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Good game all around. Corey Seagar already won a World Series there! He's right at home! ;)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Ketel Marte now holds a very impressive record- 18 game postseason hitting streak. Nice bounce back for the D Backs.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The team speed for Arizona is impressive. For me, Corbin Carroll has been one of the standout Dback players. The guy is like The Flash on the base path.

- Walter.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Funny thing is they're not even showcasing all the speed they actually have (and had for much of the regular season)... as they're missing their 2nd fastest OF who actually feels faster (and more disruptive) on the basepath than Carroll (but may not have quite the same pure sprint speed)... since they're playing Gurriel for his bat instead. :P

But yeah, Carroll's definitely the complete package all ready for superstardom (and already signed long term for that and locked up thru 2031 so far)...

_Man_

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I don't know what it is about Corbin Carroll, but from day one (the Dodgers began the season playing Arizona 4 times) there's something about that guy that just bugs the hell out of me. I'd compare the feeling to the tale of The Princess and the Pea, but that would make me the princess.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know what it is about Corbin Carroll, but from day one (the Dodgers began the season playing Arizona 4 times) there's something about that guy that just bugs the hell out of me. I'd compare the feeling to the tale of The Princess and the Pea, but that would make me the princess.
What bugs you is that he isn't on the Dodgers.:D

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^^Maybe what's bugging yah is what I also find a tad humorously odd... the way his helmet fits on him and bobbles (and often falls off) whether he's swing the bat or especially when he's pacing the basepaths particularly w/ the slight bit of mannerism all his own it seems.

I mean... Mookie Betts' listed height is actually shorter than Carroll's, but somehow, Carroll looks/feels shorter (or more stubby perhaps), even dwarf-like, particularly in the exact way he runs (rather upright and perhaps a tad stiff-looking) despite his 99.9-percentile blazing speed... :P:D

_Man_

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
What bugs you is that he isn't on the Dodgers.:D
Heh! I've contemplated that notion, but don't think so. (Because the fact that he's so good is not what bugs me, so I've pondered that.) It's like he's that person that's so single minded about something that they don't seem to need or want anyone else around and you feel it. I even read this article yesterday, linked below, about him to see what he might be like: Carroll was born in Seattle, Washington on August 21, 2000, to Brant and Pey-Lin Carroll. His father is Irish-American, and his mother was born in Taiwan and moved to Louisiana with her parents at the age of four.

It also might be that facial hair he has. Looks like a kid trying to be grown-up. Plus, he has that kind of name that you just want to pick on him: Corbin. Origin: British. Meaning: Crow. Corbin is a boy's name of British origin that gets its meaning from the Anglo-Norman word corb, meaning “crow.”

The only time I've seen him talk was a brief interview thing that he did with Derek Jeter. All of his answers were on such an even keel, no highs or lows, just steady, like listening to Hal, the computer. There's some people who just seem to have this aura that they don't need anyone else around and it feels off-putting. Derek: "When did it hit you that, man, you're in World Series?" Corbin: "When I saw the patch on the uniform."

Last edited:

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I always think the WS games on Halloween feel...weird. I was thinking of that X-FILES episode titled "The Unnatural." Written and directed by David Duchovny. It's about an alien with an obsession for baseball.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
^Probably bound to happen at some point(s) between that very potent Rangers lineup and the rather suspect DBacks pitching outside of a couple SPs and a couple late inning RPs.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ybmsmoke107
Recent bookmarks