What's new

2024 MLB Season (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
OTOH, Kike seems to be making pretty good $ for a largely "replacement level" player outside of one borderline-stellar-ish 2021 and arguably 2018 (though maybe that's just largely the going rate nowadays). ~$6.8M/year avg over these last 5 years (per Cots) isn't exactly peanuts... although he's back down to "just" $4M this year, his lowest since making ~$3.7M in 2019 -- unclear whether the $5.9M in 2020 is the actual/absolute figure he was paid or just some prorata share of that for the shortened season...

Anyhoo...

_Man_

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hate this trend of in-game interviews and players wearing microphones while they play. As a viewer, I find it very distracting from the game I'm trying to watch. This is one of the primary things I dislike about the UFL, all the extra noise from the officials, players, and coaches. NESN was just interviewing the Red Sox bench coach during an inning, so they put the game itself into a small box so they could also have a small box with the interview. I'm trying to watch the game, not listen to some coach and b-level network talent blather on about some pointless crap.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I hate this trend of in-game interviews and players wearing microphones while they play. As a viewer, I find it very distracting from the game I'm trying to watch. This is one of the primary things I dislike about the UFL, all the extra noise from the officials, players, and coaches. NESN was just interviewing the Red Sox bench coach during an inning, so they put the game itself into a small box so they could also have a small box with the interview. I'm trying to watch the game, not listen to some coach and b-level network talent blather on about some pointless crap.

The in-game interviews can be really annoying. Usually, though, if they're interviewing the manager it's a half-inning when said manager's team is up to bat. During the Dodgers/Yankees game yesterday they were interviewing Boone while the Dodgers were up and a lot was going on in the game then. I didn't want to hear what Boone was saying at that point. (So I turned the sound off and listened to the Dodgers radio broadcast for that half-inning.)

I did enjoy the Dodgers fans presence in NYC this weekend! Wish I coulda been there. Comment I read from a Yankees fan: "Thank you Dodgers fans for helping pay for Juan Soto." :)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
The Twins have unveiled their new City Connect uniforms which will debut on Friday.

minnesota-twins-city-connect-full-uniforms-pants-jersey-numbers-back-details-sportslogosnet-204315t.jpg

I like that they're not dark like many of the others this year. I like the design of the loon patch. They're the only ones I've liked at all this year so I'll give them a B grade. They've opted for state Connect instead of City Connect, which is fine. Maybe a tad "busy."

minnesota-twins-new-city-connect-uniform-explained-sportslogosnet-nike-203736.jpg

On the right under colour scheme (Colour? Do people in Minnesota spell it that way?) it says Radiant Pink. I don't see any pink, radiant or otherwise.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
^^^ That loon logo on the sleeve may have some pink in it, and on the MLB store site for Minnesota, they're offering this cap which seems to reflect that, as well as the border around the state logo:

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
The Twins have unveiled their new City Connect uniforms which will debut on Friday.

minnesota-twins-city-connect-full-uniforms-pants-jersey-numbers-back-details-sportslogosnet-204315t.jpg

I like that they're not dark like many of the others this year. I like the design of the loon patch. They're the only ones I've liked at all this year so I'll give them a B grade. They've opted for state Connect instead of City Connect, which is fine. Maybe a tad "busy."

minnesota-twins-new-city-connect-uniform-explained-sportslogosnet-nike-203736.jpg

On the right under colour scheme (Colour? Do people in Minnesota spell it that way?) it says Radiant Pink. I don't see any pink, radiant or otherwise.
Not great IMO but good for them!

There hasn’t been a single uniform or cap of any of this MLB series that I would be interested in having.

Dead2009

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Orioles got another sweep against the Rays and if I were Mike Elias, im opening up the checkbook for Burnes because he and Grayson are looking to be the 1-2 in this rotation going forward.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Orioles got another sweep against the Rays and if I were Mike Elias, im opening up the checkbook for Burnes because he and Grayson are looking to be the 1-2 in this rotation going forward.
The big question is can the O’s pay even 1 stud starting pitcher the current market value of a little more than $1 million per start. The only hope they seem to have for sustained success is if they can get a couple of their key players to sign a nice contract that pays less than what they could get on the open market.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The big question is can the O’s pay even 1 stud starting pitcher the current market value of a little more than $1 million per start. The only hope they seem to have for sustained success is if they can get a couple of their key players to sign a nice contract that pays less than what they could get on the open market.
Yup, their attendance hasn’t been good. Last year they won 101 games, yet their average attendance was still less than 24,000 per game.

Dead2009

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike

The old ownership group would have refused. Rubenstein seems committed to winning so his first free agency will be next year and we'll see what he allows Elias to do.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, if they can keep Burnes for $30-40M/year, but not some crazy long deal into his late 30's *and* get some good clause to protect against major health issue like TJS recovery, especially given the state of pitcher health these days, I guess so...

Burnes is great... but even he doesn't seem *quite* the same as 2-3 years ago. He's simply not quite as dominant, ie. not K-ing as many, as he used to despite K rates going up around the league in general. It doesn't seem like he's lost any velocity or "stuff" though, so maybe he's just choosing to pitch "smarter" and not rely on K's as much as he ages even though he's not 30 just yet -- it's also possible he's facing somewhat tougher offenses these last 1-1/2 years...

_Man_

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Those don't look too bad.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Go, Big Blue! The Kentucky Wildcats baseball team has reached the College World Series for the first time in program history. They lead the North Carolina State Wolfpack 3-1 after 5.
Update- NC State tied it up in the 7th. 🙁

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
They probably only need to make sure Yamamoto returns at 100% by mid-Sept and Mookie (and Muncy) maybe by mid-Aug, if not sooner... and not lose any other star player for extended time. They've already built up a pretty big lead in their division (w/ nobody there looking too likely to catch them)... and they'll get some expected help/reinforcements soon-ish.

One thing though is they probably need to ease up some bit on Glasnow's usage, which was probably why they yanked him after just 85 pitches yesterday despite 7 shutout innings. He's already on pace to reach/exceed 200 IPs just in the regular season this year, which might be asking a little much, since he hadn't ever thrown more than 120 IPs at MLB level, which was just last year (after TJS recovery).

They might feel the need to trade sooner than later... Maybe they'll actually go deal for Bo Bichette right after already acquiring Biggio from the Jays (even though Bichette has been struggling w/ his bat like many others this year), heh...

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shanekeridance
Recent bookmarks