What's new

2022-2023 NFL Season (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Next Sunday will be a relaxing day of NFL football for me because I have no rooting interest. Not even a team I root against like the Cowboys, Patriots or any team that has Brady at QB.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Next Sunday will be a relaxing day of NFL football for me because I have no rooting interest. Not even a team I root against like the Cowboys, Patriots or any team that has Brady at QB.
Same here. I was kind of hoping Buffalo would win a Super Bowl finally for their fans, but wasn't invested very heavily in that, either. My last concern ended with the late game -- I always want Dallas to lose.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
#WhoDey

I’m excited. Beating KC for the 4th time straight, at Arrowhead, will be a tall order but I think the Bengals can get it done. Hoping for a Bengals/49ers SB.
I certainly give the Bengals a shot. I like them to win, if the high ankle sprain limits Mahomes. An amazing performance by Burrow, team and coaches yesterday. Less than amazing performance by the refs. The Chase TD that was overturned- that’s debatable. The Josh Allen fumble that was overturned- horrible. The Bengals got away with running at least 2 plays with the play clock showing zero. The league needs to fix this delay of game problem, but in their stubbornness and arrogance, they won’t.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I certainly give the Bengals a shot. I like them to win, if the high ankle sprain limits Mahomes. An amazing performance by Burrow, team and coaches yesterday. Less than amazing performance by the refs. The Chase TD that was overturned- that’s debatable. The Josh Allen fumble that was overturned- horrible. The Bengals got away with running at least 2 plays with the play clock showing zero. The league needs to fix this problem, but in their stubbornness and arrogance, they won’t.
Both calls were debatable in my opinion that can go either way so I don't see the NFL trying to fix those issues.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Both calls were debatable in my opinion that can go either way so I don't see the NFL trying to fix those issues.
About the league fixing something, I was only referring to the problem of delays of game not being properly called. If the NFL doesn’t figure out a fix, a team will eventually get jobbed out of a postseason game due to a play that shouldn’t have been allowed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
About the league fixing something, I was only referring to the problem of delays of game not being properly called. If the NFL doesn’t figure out a fix, a team will eventually get jobbed out of a postseason game due to a play that shouldn’t have been allowed.
Frankly, I didn't notice the delays of game not being called. By the way, I watched that game without audio for obvious reasons. The dude never shuts up.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Frankly, I didn't notice the delays of game not being called. By the way, I watched that game without audio for obvious reasons. The dude never shuts up.
Yes Romo is awful. You know he’s going to bring his motor mouth to KC, Mahomes pom poms ready to go. 🤮

What about the 49ers/Eagles game? Looks to be an old school game- defense, defense and more defense. Those are the great games to watch (used to love the battles between the Ravens and Steelers back in the day).

I could have a dilemma- I am originally from Philly, then moved into Bengals country back in 2006, so, much like Robert, I sort of have 2 teams I keep an eye on. Quite possible we will see an
Eagles/Bengals matchup in 3 weeks. What do I do? I think I’d root for the Bengals in a good game, largely due to they haven’t won a Super Bowl yet.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

I believe the issue with delay of game calls right now is that they are not called the same. As I have heard it explained the zero is included in the count. So, to call a delay the ref is supposed to watch the clock tick down to zero, and then look at the ball and see if it has been snapped. So it goes 3-2-1-0 then if the ball has not been snapped, penalty. So, you get that extra count of zero. Not 3-2-1 penalty. This is fine as long as the call is made the same way every time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I believe the issue with delay of game calls right now is that they are not called the same. As I have heard it explained the zero is included in the count. So, to call a delay the ref is supposed to watch the clock tick down to zero, and then look at the ball and see if it has been snapped. So it goes 3-2-1-0 then if the ball has not been snapped, penalty. So, you get that extra count of zero. Not 3-2-1 penalty. This is fine as long as the call is made the same way every time.
Yes, one of the referees-turned-talking-head (Gene Steratore?) explained this on-air. The official watches the clock down to zero, then looks to see if the ball is snapped. So it can give the appearance of extra time. But if this is the standard for both teams, I don't have an issue.

I forget which game it was, but I thought one of the teams basically got a free timeout near the end of the game. Seems like after a third down play, the 40-second clock went all the way to zero but there was no play or penalty and the officials just reset the clock again to 25 seconds. I'm not quite sure what happened there.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Interesting observation from Peter King:

The Cowboys haven’t been to the NFC Championship game in almost 30 years, and Brock Purdy owns as many playoff wins as Dak Prescott.

Cowboys aren't going any further with a mediocre QB and coach. Until they've changed both, it's likely they've plateaued in their ability to advance in the playoffs. Though I dislike the Cowboys, so as long as Jerry Jones wants to maintain the status quo that's just fine with me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There were certainly a lot of dumb plays at the end of the 49ers - Dallas game. By my count:

1. SF running back fails to stay in bounds after getting first down. Game is basically over if he stays in bounds.
2. SF pass rusher fails to tackle Prescott in end zone. Game would be over. At least with this one, I can understand the defender may be afraid of drawing a rougher the passer penalty.
3. Dallas tight end runs out of bounds backwards after catch & contact, keeping clock running.
4. Same Dallas tight end fails to get second foot down on sideline catch. Appeared to be way too nonchalant on play.
5. That final play was a bizarre call -- 2nd year in a row that a Dallas playoff loss ended on a dumb play call. This one probably didn't matter, but still -- a weird formation, and then throw a short pass over the middle with no one around to lateral the ball to?

I do enjoy a good Cowboys implosion.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, one of the referees-turned-talking-head (Gene Steratore?) explained this on-air. The official watches the clock down to zero, then looks to see if the ball is snapped. So it can give the appearance of extra time. But if this is the standard for both teams, I don't have an issue.

I forget which game it was, but I thought one of the teams basically got a free timeout near the end of the game. Seems like after a third down play, the 40-second clock went all the way to zero but there was no play or penalty and the officials just reset the clock again to 25 seconds. I'm not quite sure what happened there.

Yes, basically the only problem I have with penalty calls is just call them the same way. So, on a delay you have that extra second with the zero count and I have seen this allowed many times. Sometimes though someone throws a flag right as the 1 ticks off the play clock. I mean, I get that there is human error, but the delay call should be an easy one to get right because you are just adding that zero count before you throw the flag.

Not a big thing and I am fine with them giving them the extra second to snap the ball. Just get everybody to call it the same way. I think most times I have seen it done correctly but there are some guys that are faster with the flag.

Another call that seems a bit ticky tack is the lined up offsides or in the neutral zone. Bosa got called on it in the playoff game against the Jags and if he was offsides it was by like a millimeter of his facemask. It was funny when Tony Dungy drew a line on the screen to show he was offsides and then drew a line that he angled toward the Chargers side to try to make it look like the call was correct. You could see Bosa was close to being offsides but just the front of his facemask if he was. I would have thought that would not have been called in a playoff game, where the refs are told not to throw flags unless something is blatant. That was not blatant.

Polbroth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Taylor
So good to see the Bills out after the league bent over backwards to unfairly accommodate them. (I'm sure the 1.5 - 2.5 billion dollar stadium about to be built on the public's back there has nothing to do with it...)

But also good to know that we will see more snowy games there. :)

I'd love to root for the Bengals, and did until the unfinished game.

After Bingalgate, I'm hoping that if KC can't stop them due to the Mahomes injury, the Eagles will in the final game of the season.

Likely outcomes:

Eagles > 49ers

Bengals > KC

Eagles > Bengals

But the biggest story is the flag football Pro Bowl.

Watch closely, as that's the future of the game.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So good to see the Bills out after the league bent over backwards to unfairly accommodate them. (I'm sure the 1.5 - 2.5 billion dollar stadium about to be built on the public's back there has nothing to do with it...)

But also good to know that we will see more snowy games there. :)

I'd love to root for the Bengals, and did until the unfinished game.

After Bingalgate, I'm hoping that if KC can't stop them due to the Mahomes injury, the Eagles will in the final game of the season.

Likely outcomes:

Eagles > 49ers

Bengals > KC

Eagles > Bengals

But the biggest story is the flag football Pro Bowl.

Watch closely, as that's the future of the game.
Flag football in the NFL- I’ll permanently be out.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There were certainly a lot of dumb plays at the end of the 49ers - Dallas game. By my count:

1. SF running back fails to stay in bounds after getting first down. Game is basically over if he stays in bounds.
2. SF pass rusher fails to tackle Prescott in end zone. Game would be over. At least with this one, I can understand the defender may be afraid of drawing a rougher the passer penalty.
3. Dallas tight end runs out of bounds backwards after catch & contact, keeping clock running.
4. Same Dallas tight end fails to get second foot down on sideline catch. Appeared to be way too nonchalant on play.
5. That final play was a bizarre call -- 2nd year in a row that a Dallas playoff loss ended on a dumb play call. This one probably didn't matter, but still -- a weird formation, and then throw a short pass over the middle with no one around to lateral the ball to?

I do enjoy a good Cowboys implosion.
#2- you’re likely correct- fear of drawing a flag.

Baffling how game and situational awareness is either not drummed into the players heads by the coaches, or some of the players are just too dense to really retain the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks