What's new

2022-2023 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Maybe he was never that close to being hired in the first place. Some in the media had Harbaugh to the Broncos as pretty much a done deal, too, and it was never anywhere close to happening.

Harbaugh was apparently yanking everybody's chains and was not going to return to the NFL. So, he was just playing to get more money from Michigan, which he pulled off. Payton was much desired by the Broncos until they actually talked to him, where something went wrong. After his interview both sides claimed they were no longer interested. On Payton's side, I believe what they claim is they felt someone in the ownership group would be too much of a meddling owner and he wanted nothing to do with that. On the Broncos side, I think they just did not feel the compensation to New Orleans and the cost of Payton would be worth it...or whatever was said in the meeting did not please either side.

Most of the teams seem uninterested in Payton because the cost is so high and I am sure his demands are more that most everybody else that they interview. He's running out of teams to go to, the Broncos, Panthers, Cardinals are all out. The Rams got McVay back. The Colts don't want him. The Texans don't seem a likely landing spot. So, I think he remains in broadcasting. I don't think it helped when the Saints supposedly raised the level of compensation they wanted for him to more than just 1 first round pick.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Speaking of possible coaching hires- during the CBS pregame show before the Bengals win last Sunday, one of the talking heads said Jeff Saturday is a real possibility to get the Colts job. If I were a fan of that team, this would drive me nuts- it would definitely mean Irsay is calling the shots. The largest blown lead in league history screams that the guy is in over his head.

The rumor is Irsay is not sitting in on any interviews the team is doing and only wants Saturday. People in the organization are pushing him not to do that because the fans do not want Saturday. They are telling him hiring him would alienate the fan base in a big way.

I think the Colts are a horribly run team and Irsay is a garbage owner that likes to hire other garbage people. If he brings back Saturday that will be a disaster.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The root cause of any badly run sports team over an extended period of time is horrible ownership. A team going through a rough patch for 3-5 years is one thing and will happen with every single sports franchise. A team going through a rough patch longer than that is a bigger issue because the problem is usually systemic due to poor ownership.

I'm a fan of two such teams.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Rumor about Rodgers going to the Jets. Peter King wrote in his weekly column, speculating the Packers would be looking to get 2 first round picks in return. Zero chance any team would give this much for a QB that is almost 40, no matter how desperate a team is (the Jets are certainly desperate for some success). A lock that Zach is gone, if Aaron is dealt there.

Yes, people that are involved with the Jets put it out there that if the Jets hire Hackett to be their OC, it means they will make a play to land Rodgers...who is due $60 million this season. I think they will or are talking to the Packers, I don't think the Packers would have an issue with sending him there, Rodgers is the guy they have to convince to come to New York, and honestly, people seem to think Aaron is a bit mentally unbalanced. Which is an issue. Also something I would think about before bringing him to my team is he did not reach 300 yards passing in a single game this past season. That has to be a concern with a 40 year QB, that could be in decline.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, people that are involved with the Jets put it out there that if the Jets hire Hackett to be their OC, it means they will make a play to land Rodgers...who is due $60 million this season. I think they will or are talking to the Packers, I don't think the Packers would have an issue with sending him there, Rodgers is the guy they have to convince to come to New York, and honestly, people seem to think Aaron is a bit mentally unbalanced. Which is an issue. Also something I would think about before bringing him to my team is he did not reach 300 yards passing in a single game this past season. That has to be a concern with a 40 year QB, that could be in decline.
It's the Jets, what could go wrong? :laugh:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Harbaugh was apparently yanking everybody's chains and was not going to return to the NFL. So, he was just playing to get more money from Michigan, which he pulled off.
It appears that it was more than just money. Harbaugh and the athletic director, Warde Manuel, have not gotten along for quite some time -- rumor has it that they have not even spoken to each other since last May. This was a power struggle between the two, and Harbaugh won. The university president got involved to move along Harbaugh's new contract, plus other issues he was concerned with (pay for assistants, NIL policy, etc.). When Harbaugh decided to stay, he called the president, not the AD, and the president made the announcement and informed the AD of the decision.

In the NFL, a power struggle like above between head coach and the front office would almost always be won by the front office. In the NCAA, though, the coach is king, and almost always wins these battles against the AD. It's the primary reason why Harbaugh has remained at Michigan. He's not getting this type of power in the NFL, as he found out during his time with the 49ers.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It appears that it was more than just money. Harbaugh and the athletic director, Warde Manuel, have not gotten along for quite some time -- rumor has it that they have not even spoken to each other since last May. This was a power struggle between the two, and Harbaugh won. The university president got involved to move along Harbaugh's new contract, plus other issues he was concerned with (pay for assistants, NIL policy, etc.). When Harbaugh decided to stay, he called the president, not the AD, and the president made the announcement and informed the AD of the decision.

In the NFL, a power struggle like above between head coach and the front office would almost always be won by the front office. In the NCAA, though, the coach is king, and almost always wins these battles against the AD. It's the primary reason why Harbaugh has remained at Michigan. He's not getting this type of power in the NFL, as he found out during his time with the 49ers.

Yeah, that whole Harbaugh thing seemed really fishy. It would appear he orchestrated the entire thing, having his "friends" tell people he was gone and was going to the NFL no matter what. The way it flip flopped around and Harbaugh hilariously acting like he had no idea why people thought he would return to the NFL when he was booking interviews with NFL teams.

It's always been said he is a very difficult guy to get along with, that's how he ended up leaving the 49ers. So, I'm sure Manuel does not have a great job dealing with him. Truth is, the Michigan job is probably way better than any NFL job, so hard to see why he would leave.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It's already started. Frank Reich was just hired by Carolina. If the hire is an assistant with one of the final four teams, though, it will usually happen after this weekend.

Eric Bieniemy is said to be in consideration for the Colts job. The guy deserves a head coaching position but not sure that is the team he deserves to be with. I think the Cardinals should go all in to land Bieniemy to pair him with Murray. That makes sense and at least Bieniemy would have a good QB prospect to work with to try to get that team going.

If Bieniemy goes to the Colts, he likely ends up with a young QB prospect in Will Levis, which could be interesting too but he also gets to deal with Irsay. I think Frank Reich is a good coach and he did the best he could under crap conditions in Indy and who knows what kind of nonsense he had to deal with. If I were Bieniemy, I would consider not taking the Colts job if it gets offered to me.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Most of the teams seem uninterested in Payton because the cost is so high
Salary aside, I don't think any coach is worth sacrificing players/draft picks if that's part of the demands involved in hiring Payton.

The Wilks/Reich situation is going to ruffle feathers because it's a black coach who did relatively well in guiding the team nearly into the playoffs now being replaced by a white coach recently fired from another team.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Broncos would pay $20M for a coach in a heartbeat. They genuinely don’t care. They aren’t going to give up more drafts, and don’t want a complete egotist, though. Bye Payton.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Broncos would pay $20M for a coach in a heartbeat. They genuinely don’t care. They aren’t going to give up more drafts, and don’t want a complete egotist, though. Bye Payton.
There is no salary cap for coaches, so teams with deep pockets will not blink at paying big money there. Denver appears to be such a team. The draft picks are definitely more of an issue, especially after already trading a bunch away for Wilson.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Salary aside, I don't think any coach is worth sacrificing players/draft picks if that's part of the demands involved in hiring Payton.

The Wilks/Reich situation is going to ruffle feathers because it's a black coach who did relatively well in guiding the team nearly into the playoffs now being replaced by a white coach recently fired from another team.

On the Saints compensation for Payton, I guess you can't get players, only picks, so they raised the number of picks they wanted for him. With the Broncos, who gave away so many picks to get Wilson, it seemed like a bad idea to me to give away even more picks to land Payton. I mean at some point you need to start rebuilding that team.

You can't tell a team to tank, but a consideration here for the 2023 season is that Caleb Williams is going to be the first pick in the 2024 draft by all accounts. So, were I the Broncos, maybe you let Hackett coach another season with Wilson at QB because that combo was a total dumpster fire...it would put the Broncos in the Caleb Williams sweepstakes.

You can't really move Russell Wilson at this point, he's got a giant contract and it looks like he stinks. However, if you draft Williams, at least there is some hope. Fans can watch Wilson another year or two if you know you got Williams out of it and he will be taking over. By all accounts, the Broncos should stink next season so, they should be in the Williams sweepstakes even without Hackett. Hell, they supposedly had Dan Quinn on the list to coach the team, which looked like they wanted to go tank city in 2023.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The name being tossed around for Denver now is DeMeco Ryans. I guess the plan of someone with HC experience is down the tubes. Honestly, why not Bieniemy. He has Colorado connections.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There must be something personal people don't like about Bieniemy. He's been passed over for years.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There must be something personal people don't like about Bieniemy. He's been passed over for years.

So, I think it is two things, first I think they may believe he is just a product of working with Reid and so don't give him any credit. Second, people have written he is laid back and somewhat soft spoken in interviews.

I like the guy, can't believe he has not got a shot yet, but there is nothing wrong with staying in Kansas City another season and just adding to his resume.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not everyone is HC material, and being a successful coordinator is no indication of a good HC. That should be obvious by now. Just ask Wade Phillips.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Not everyone is HC material, and being a successful coordinator is no indication of a good HC. That should be obvious by now. Just ask Wade Phillips.

Granted, I mean we can go down a list. Coordinators get jobs based on success of the unit they coordinate. Dan Quinn, Josh McDaniels, Nathan Hackett...so, far none of these guys was a good head coach. Sometimes you have success because you have a player or players that lead to that. McDaniels had Brady, Hackett had Rodgers, Bieniemy has Mahomes...all three special QBs. When you go to another team and don't have that kind of player in place, you may not accomplish the same things.

This is what I mean about people likely not giving Bieniemy any of the credit for that offense. It was Reid's offensive scheme and he has Patrick Mahomes, who is just an insane talent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks