What's new

2021-2022 NFL Season (1 Viewer)

Which QB will have the most success this season?

• Carson Wentz - Colts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Matt Stafford - Rams

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Trevor Lawrence - Jaguars

• Jimmy Garoppolo -49ers

• Ryan Fitzpatrick - Redskins

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Cam Newton - Patriots

• Jalen Hurts - Eagles

• Justin Fields - Bears

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mac Jones

• Zach Wilson -Jets

• Sam Darnold - Panthers

• Jameis Winston - Saints

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
None of the defenses in any of these games seem to last until the end. There have been so many improbable "miracle" plays that have been made, against all odds and logic. Any offense that needs to "catch up" seems to be able to move the ball at-will in the 4th quarter.

Seems very strange to have so many miracle comebacks in such a short schedule of games.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Basically, if one guy needed to be watching that game last night it was Mike McCarthy. Mahomes and Allen put on a show of what you can do in 14 seconds throwing the football. Not saying that Dak Prescott is Mahomes or Allen but if you need chunk yardage with little time on the clock you get it throwing, not on a QB draw.

Speaking of odd QB draw play calls, what was up with the Rams calling one on the first play of their final drive for the game-winning FG? Matt Stafford isn't a mobile QB, the play was stuffed, and it cost LA their final timeout. Had the Bucs not screwed up their coverage a few plays later, would Sean McVay be getting roasted today for that play call?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
"The four Jim Kelly era losses in the big game and then yesterday's roller coaster loss. *Sheesh*"

The first Jim Kelly loss to the Giants was because the Bills kicker missed a 31-yard FG attempt. PATs are longer then that now.
I’ve often wondered what would have happened if he had made the kick. Would the Bills have been so snakebit in the following SBs?

I don’t think this playoff game is a continuation of the SB curse, they just lost in an insanely great game. Neither team chocked.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You guys realize that Mahomes is only 8 months older than Josh Allen.
None of the defenses in any of these games seem to last until the end. There have been so many improbable "miracle" plays that have been made, against all odds and logic. Any offense that needs to "catch up" seems to be able to move the ball at-will in the 4th quarter.

Seems very strange to have so many miracle comebacks in such a short schedule of games.
Hell, those defensive players are exhausted by the 4th quarter as there are so many tricky formations in today's game with these mobile quarterbacks. Unlike the old days, these defensive players are constantly moving around so many of them are all tuckered out by the end of the game.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’ve never understood and the hate for Romo as an announcer here. I think he’s quite good and CBS puts on the big games, so they do also. And I hate the cowboys.
The hate is because he never shuts up. He doesn't allow the game to breath and he's constantly talking over Nantz. He's so bad, I had to mute the audio for a good portion of the game yesterday.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speaking of odd QB draw play calls, what was up with the Rams calling one on the first play of their final drive for the game-winning FG? Matt Stafford isn't a mobile QB, the play was stuffed, and it cost LA their final timeout. Had the Bucs not screwed up their coverage a few plays later, would Sean McVay be getting roasted today for that play call?
My brother was roasting McVay during the game with his constant text messages. I finally shut him up by saying our Giants and Raiders would be a better team if they had McVay coaching them. With that said, he did make some mistakes during the game, but he's a really good HC.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I’ve never understood and the hate for Romo as an announcer here. I think he’s quite good and CBS puts on the big games, so they do also. And I hate the cowboys.

The hate is because he never shuts up. He doesn't allow the game to breath and he's constantly talking over Nantz. He's so bad, I had to mute the audio for a good portion of the game yesterday.
This. And he also thinks he's a comedian, but he's not. Jim Nantz should be the person heard most during the broadcast, not Romo.

The "public" also loves Adam Sandler comedies, McDonald's, and reality TV.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
While a bunch of veteran QBs are making decisions on their future, the league is in good hands now with Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrows, Murray, and Jones. The torch has been passed.
I assume you're talking about Mac and not Danny Dimes.:rolling-smiley: Either way, I wouldn't place Mac Jones with those other QBs yet. Even Murray is suspect, but he's shown enough skill to indicate that he could impact and win a game. Mac Jones hasn't shown me any such skills yet. He's got a bright future, but I want to see more of him impacting a game.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I assume you're talking about Mac and not Danny Dimes.:rolling-smiley: Either way, I wouldn't place Mac Jones with those other QBs yet. Even Murray is suspect, but he's shown enough skill to indicate that he could impact and win a game. Mac Jones hasn't shown me any such skills yet. He's got a bright future, but I want to see more of him impacting a game.

Yes, Mac would the Jones to keep up with, ha. I included him because this year he was the best of his draft class at his position. I don't know if he will turn out to be the best of his draft class in the long run but he is at the moment.

I don't think Mac is at all in the same league as the other players I mentioned. In fact a sure way to beat the Patriots was get up three scores early and force Jones to have to throw to get them back in the game. Mostly, a recipe for Patriots disaster. I assume he will have the training wheels removed next season. The way the AFC stacks up, you better be able to throw the ball if you want to win games. After watching Chargers/Raiders and Bils/Chiefs it is going to be a difficult task to keep up with offenses and QBs that can shred you like that.

I mean the Chiefs and Bills in the fourth quarter could not even slow down the opposing offense. The only way to keep up in a game like that is being able to throw the ball and score at the same pace as the other team.

Mac looks smart and is in a system where he may be able to have a great career.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
"The four Jim Kelly era losses in the big game and then yesterday's roller coaster loss. *Sheesh*"

The first Jim Kelly loss to the Giants was because the Bills kicker missed a 31-yard FG attempt. PATs are longer then that now.
I believe it was a 47 yarder.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I’ve often wondered what would have happened if he had made the kick. Would the Bills have been so snakebit in the following SBs?

I don’t think this playoff game is a continuation of the SB curse, they just lost in an insanely great game. Neither team chocked.

I've often wondered that as well. Also, Thurman Thomas was a great running back for the Bills but I think those Super Bowl fumbles kind of got into his head, at least from my perspective as an outside observer.

No, I wasn't implying that the loss to the Chiefs was a continuation. Too many years have elapsed. Just another hard luck loss for the Bills in the playoffs.

Given the way OT works I wonder if the Bills would have driven the field for a winning TD if the coin flip had went the other way? One of those things we'll never know. I'm not suggesting a rules change, if you lose the coin flip then play some damn defense.

- Walter.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
True about last night's game, but the Rams choking their 24 point lead made it much more interesting than those two games on Saturday. The Rams making all kinds of silly mistakes caused that game to become a classic until it was topped by last night's game.
Doesn't every team need some luck to win. The Bengals are no pushover and it won't be any surprise to me if they beat KC.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Doesn't every team need some luck to win. The Bengals are no pushover and it won't be any surprise to me if they beat KC.
I'm a firm believer that teams makes their own luck by not making mistakes. As to the Bengals, I would be surprise to see them beat KC twice in a month. The look on Mahomes face throughout yesterday's game was really intense and I expect him to be more determine to avoid another loss to Cincy which if it happens, keeps them from the SB.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I think the Bills should've taken Romo's advice and made sure the kickoff took some time off of the clock, but that is hindsight for you.

- Walter.

To be honest, it would have been a first guess since Romo was talking about it starting right after the Conversion.

While Romo does talk too much, I think his analysis of the game and game strategy is mostly spot on. He often predicts a sequence several steps ahead of time esp in the way OC's set up plays well in advance by the way the call plays earlier in a drive (or even several drives earlier).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To be honest, it would have been a first guess since Romo was talking about it starting right after the Conversion.

While Romo does talk too much, I think his analysis of the game and game strategy is mostly spot on. He often predicts a sequence several steps ahead of time esp in the way OC's set up plays well in advance by the way the call plays earlier in a drive (or even several drives earlier).
His analysis of the last Kelce TD was spot on too.:rolling-smiley:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My brother was roasting McVay during the game with his constant text messages. I finally shut him up by saying our Giants and Raiders would be a better team if they had McVay coaching them. With that said, he did make some mistakes during the game, but he's a really good HC.

I agree that McVay is a really good coach -- he's one of the best in the game, IMO. I just thought that QB draw was an odd call in that situation, especially since McCarthy got raked over the coals for his QB draw call a week earlier. The situations were not the same, of course, but I wonder if McVay got asked about it -- I have not seen any post game comments.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Gotta pour one out for the Bills and their fans.

The four Jim Kelly era losses in the big game and then yesterday's roller coaster loss. *Sheesh*

I suppose there is a ray of light in that the club will contend again next season, but damn, what a way to lose a game.

Personally, I think the Bills should've taken Romo's advice and made sure the kickoff took some time off of the clock, but that is hindsight for you.

- Walter.
While forcing the Chiefs to return the kick could run a few seconds off the clock, it also opens up the possibility of Tyreek Hill returning the kick for a TD. He's a dynamic enough of a player to do it -- he set up the winning TD in overtime with a great run after the catch. A short kick away from Hill just takes 1-2 seconds off the clock if the Chiefs are smart, and probably gives them the ball in better field position than the 25 yards line. As the Bills head coach, I would rather take my chances with keeping KC out of field goal range with only 13 seconds left on the clock starting at their 25 yard line. Unfortunately, they left Kelce open over the middle, and the rest is history.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks