What's new

2018 At The Boxoffice (2 Viewers)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
For sure. But I think the smiley there indicates that you get why an audience today might feel that they already had everything they needed on Han Solo, whereas an audience in 1999 would still be interested in more Vader :D

There was a broader backstory about the "Star Wars" universe that seemed likely to emerge in the PT. Whatever interest came from them stemmed from the way that they set up the characters/situations of the OT.

The actual Anakin/Vader plot seemed less compelling - we already essentially knew what we needed to know from background given in the OT. But seeing other aspects of the "SW" realm developed offered potential intrigue.

"Solo" comes with some of that, as it provides a glimpse at some different situations, but it's too close in time to the OT - and too centered on a story not connected directly to the Skywalkers - to be of great interest in and of itself.

That said, I think "Solo" is a pretty entertaining movie and fun to see. I think it suffers more from "SW" overkill - 4 movies in 2.5 years - and a lack of direct connection to an "Episode" than anything wrong with the film itself.

I don't think audiences shied away from it because Solo is now dead -- honestly, that never occurred to me as an issue!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
At the moment, my interest in that project has to do more with James Mangold being the director of it than the character he's working with. Personally.

Yeah, Mangold adds interest. I think he's had an inconsistent career, but I really liked "Logan" so I'm optimistic he can do something interesting with Fett despite my inherent lack of interest in the character...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Remember, Deadpool 2 was scheduled for this weekend before they moved it when Infinity War moved.

I wonder if some other studio should have moved another major tentpole into this weekend after Deadpool left? They probably wanted to give Solo a wide berth, but in hindsight, any major branded new release would have been able to top $29m easily to take the weekend.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Mangold adds interest. I think he's had an inconsistent career, but I really liked "Logan" so I'm optimistic he can do something interesting with Fett despite my inherent lack of interest in the character...
That's the thing though. You can make an interesting movie out of almost anything. It would be insane to make a Zuckuss ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zuckuss ) movie but it could be good.

I'm more of an IG-88 guy myself! :D
That was your best post. It's all down hill from here. :laugh:

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Deadpool 2, pardoning some miracle, will easily outpace Solo in the yearly box office. Won't even be particularly close. What is also good news for some studios is that 3 films had holds of less than a 40% drop: Book Club, Life of the Party, and Breaking In; all tailored for a different audience.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Avengers: Infinity War was given an extension in China.

I think this’ll help it hit the $2B milestone, which is looking pretty likely at this point.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think this’ll help it hit the $2B milestone, which is looking pretty likely at this point.

Yeah, I think that's a question of when, not if at this point. The next question is whether it can top The Force Awakens ($2,068.2 billion) to become the #3 highest-grossing film all time worldwide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.