What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (2 Viewers)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I'm not particularly a fan of it either, but I heard one explanation that made sense to me: Play a 60-minute game. Never let your guard down. Don't give the other team any chance at a miracle comeback. Leave no doubt as to who won the game.

An instance of letting a team make a miracle comeback: the defending NFC champion Chicago Bears gave up 34 points in the 4th quarter to the Detroit Lions, and the Lions won 37-27.

So what do you do? You push hard, you never let your guard down...you play a 60 minute game. You play every game like it's a playoff game; if you lose, you're done for the season.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
In Week 8, the Patriots were leading the Redskins 38-0 in the fourth quarter. They left Brady in to score the Patriots 45th unanswered point. And a good thing, too. You just never know when a team is going to burst forth with a 7-touchdown fourth quarter. Please. These guy are pricks, to a man. It starts with Belichick, and trickles slowly down to their fans.

Here's hoping the Chargers can overcome the injuries. The Patriots are a great team. Here's hoping for some divine intervention.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Congrats, Patriot fans. Great game. You are unequivocally the greatest team of all time. The most incredible football team ever to step out on to the gridiron.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Brady looked human today, tossing 3 picks, but Maroney and Faulk bailed him out on the last drive to seal the win. The Pats defense did what they had to do in keeping the Chargers out of the endzone (though LT's departure early in the game raised an eyebrow or two, guess he was the one really hurt, or didn't want to blow out a knee being "90%" at the start of the game, or the Chargers were playing around with the injury report, having the Pats gameplan to stop LT, and then floating stories about Rivers and Gates not playing in the game).

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Not that you care, Jeff, but you are now the one Patriot fan I know that is not a prick. :)

Seriously, I admire what the Patriots have done this year. I'm jealous that the teams of my youth: the Rams of 1973-81 and the Raiders of '82-'95 haven't had anywhere near the success the Patriots have had in the last 7 years. But that doesn't mean that it's not fun as hell (and futile, for the most part) to root against them.

The Patriots are so great, they don't even have to play well to win. Enough said. Do I hate them? Without a doubt. Are they the greatest? Another team I hated (but couldn't do anything about) was the 1989-90 Niners. For my money, they were a more balanced team than these Patriots, who, I firmly believe would've lost to these same Chargers on a neutral field with everyone healthy and the temperature at 65 degrees. But that's why they call it home field advantage.

But Patriot fans have got to be loving this moment. I know I would be...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Total n00b just learning the ropes of the game. This may have been the first one I watched from start to finish and I loved every second of it
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
. Perhaps next season I will fully get into it. It helps that I live in New England...

--
H

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
In all honesty Jan, I'm not really that big a football fan. I know the game, but I'm not really one to watch anyone but the Pats. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm a Boston sports fan, not a sports fan.

And I can understand the hatred, I've hated the Yankees for years (although I think the Pats are more lovable than the Evil Empire, but I'm biased). Even so, I'll admit that most Patriot fans I know are pricks. I've been offered tickets to a game for free and I won't go simply because I don't like to drink at sporting events (I like to remember the game, I'm funny like that :) ) and every time I've been in the past it has been nothing but a bunch of drunken idiots. I don't even go to super bowl parties for the same reason. My weekly ritual is to sit at home alone and watch the best football team I've ever seen execute as complete professionals.

Best ever? We'll see . . .

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Oh and just to show I'm not blind, I believe with all my heart that Belichick in past years would not (and did not) run up the score. Belichick this year was caught cheating and he and his team were embarrassed. The early blowouts . . . errrm . . . victories were just BB forcing everyone in the NFL to admit that the Patriots didn't need to cheat. It was a big middle finger dressed up in a ripped hoodie and frankly, I don't blame him; though I know others will feel differently.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Good on you, Sir. I wish you well, and your team ill. Very, very ill. Let's both hope that the Super Bowl has the Pats versus the Packers. Otherwise, I'd wish the Super Bowl had been played on Mars. Boston versus New York. Yikes.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
See ya on Mars! Jeez, just what the rest of America wants. New England - New York. Hope this ain't a precursor of Election '08. Though the way things are rigged these days, color me anything but surprised.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Even though the Packers came so close, it's a long uphill climb back to the next Super Bowl, and the schedule won't be as favorable to the Packers next year, so I don't know if Favre is up to the task as he was pretty successful (unlike last season), so he won't as bad a taste in his mouth should he retire this season. But I wouldn't count him out for next season, it's just a matter of desire and if he think he's body will hold up for one more season of punishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks