What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just watched the final episode of "Inside the NFL" on HBO. Not the last of the season, the last one ever. Anyone know why the show was canceled? It's been on for over 30 years.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
When it premiered, it was very special. NFL Films commentary/footage (and analysis) for every game the previous weekend, some human interest stories, and previews of upcoming games was like manna from heaven. Now it's just a high end version of ESPN and every other competitor.

With the NFL Network and about a million shows dedicated to football, it's tough to keep the values up and make some money for HBO. It's a business decision.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
As a newcomer to this sport, I find the Superbowl or nothing mentality pretty strange.

Soccer will always be my first love, and there, finalists, semi-finalists and even quarter-finalists enjoy healthy amount of respect. People will remember how close you came last time, and you will be part of the big dogs. The difference between a World Champion is and a finalist is really not that great in the minds of soccer fans. At the end of most tournaments, while the winner is of course the team who gets the cup, the 2nd and 3rd teams get medals and are honored as well, like in the Olympics I guess.

But it seems that in Football, it's 1st............................................

............and then everything else. How very American :)

--
H

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
It wasn't always that way. When there was only the NFL, with two conferences, it was a pretty big deal to win one of them. I remember they used to have a playoff game for the two 2nd place teams in either conference. This wasn't a game to advance anywhere, it was just for being able to say you were 3rd best. In baseball, when there was only the National and American Leagues with no sub conferences, a team won the pennant by winning the most games in their conference for the entire season. Winning a pennant was a big deal, less so now, I think.

Yeah, 2nd place sucks in America. Jeez, how does it feel to be a Detroit fan?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I watched one such game this afternoon, for the 3rd place in the African Cup of Nations (Soccer). Although only the 3rd place game (the Final is tomorrow), you can bet that it was a big deal to all involved. At the very least, it is a "saving face" game.

--
H

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Yeah, I have to admit it was a little weird seeing him there.

Gee, I wonder who gets the honor of the last post in this thread?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I was watching The Natural a few days ago, and Wilford Brimley's crusty old manager character said he didn't care about the Series. He just wanted to win a pennant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks