What's new

2007-2008 NFL season discussion thread (2 Viewers)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I've rooted against the Patriots the last three times they were in the Super Bowl and I see no point in breaking precedent! :)

Go Giants!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I guess I was premature in thinking Favre would retire, it appears that he likes this cast of teammates, and wants to return for another season. after all

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
You say sad, most say fitting, ironic, and proper for the NFL's all-time interception leader. Seriously. The guy's a turnover machine. Always has been, always will be - although this was a better than average year for him.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
As a Charger fan, I'll take that loss with some pride. They played really well. Some of those calls and decisions in the red zone...ugh. Obviously their injuries were a factor. Rivers looked shaky at times in the pocket, not willing to step into his throws, more skittish than last week, especially in the 3rd quarter. Maroney was huge in the second half. Chargers will be there next year. Last year I predicted one and done; I was way wrong.
I look forward to 2008 season. They should run the tables on the AFC West.

Giants D was great. They rolled the clock back to Favre 2006. And why didn't the Pack give Al Harris some help with Plaxico ? Did I miss that ?
I can't believe Eli ! That guy is throwing the ball really well. Accurate and able to exploit. Loved Bradshaw too. Hopefully they can use him effectively vs the Pats. I wonder if he played in week 17 ?

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
All things being equal, the Chargers (I'd argue the Colts as well) have a more talented, deeper roster than the Patriots do on both sides of the ball. Which means exactly dick. This year, the Patriots had the best quarterback, the best coach, and the best health of any team, and that's all that matters. The saying goes: 'I'd rather be lucky than good.' Well, I'd rather be lucky AND good, and the Patriots are certainly both. There is no other explanation for 18-0 than that.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Archie Manning must be one proud papa...can't do much better than having two of your sons in the Super Bowl in consecutive years. Maybe it's karma for having to play for New Orleans all those years. :)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Chargers fans should be proud. They put up a heck of a fight, and Rivers really gutted it out with that bad ACL. They will be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Chargers clearly missed LT and a healthy Gates in the red zone. Their two biggest scoring weapons were either on the sideline (LT) or ineffective due to injuries, and it cost San Diego. If they could have converted a couple of those red zone opportunities into TD's, they may have won.

The Packers, especially Favre, really layed an egg yesterday. Favre threw numerous passes up for grabs, and it ended up costing them at the end. The Giants were the better team yesterday on both sides of the ball.

Also, Favre now holds the NFL record for most interceptions thrown in both the regular season and the post season. He passed Jim Kelly for the latter mark yesterday.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter

Agreed. I thought the missed field goal and winning the coin toss in overtime were gifts from God, to Brett Favre. But he threw away that chance. Have to admit, glad to see Lawrence Tynes redeem himself in overtime.

The Giants are just on fire, and I can see them pulling the upset in the Super Bowl. In this team's case, not having a home playoff game was this team's advantage, as they were a horrible home team in the regular season.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
It's not a matter of blame...it's a matter of perspective. No, they didn't need to cheat this year. They got beat fair and square last year, and they pulled a Steinbrenner and bought the best talent available. They were the best team this year. But as I have said before, did the cheating they did matter when they were winning those close games, when they won 3 Super Bowls by 3 points each?

He'll never be able to prove those were totally clean wins (nor can anyone prove they weren't), so running up the score this year just engenders ill will. The fact that the media bought into his revenge fantasies ("making the league pay" for...what, NOT being caught cheating?) just shows how far down the sports media has fallen. They have been very good this year, and very lucky (the Ravens game, injuries). One more game, and they'll be among the greatest ever. Even with a SB win, I am not ready to claim they are better than the 85 Bears (I always default to a great defense) or the late 80's 49ers. But they are totally in the discussion. Will that running up of the score they did earlier this year haunt them next year? I believe it might. Time will tell.

I agree the Chargers matured a bit this post-season. They might be a team to fear next year.

And this was a "make or break" season for Eli...I guess he "made" it :)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
As I Chargers fan, I'm so f'ing tired of next year. It's always next year, unless we expect to stink, that is.

At the end of the previous season, I found myself wondering if Rivers would be the QB for the Chargers in the long term, now I'm thinking he is. He has grown in the position. However, he's ended the last two seasons injured, so I'm worried about his durability. I'm also getting concerned about LT. This was, what, his 7th season? It sure seemed to me that late in the season he was much less effective. Granted, he was the NFL rushing champ and scored a bunch of TDs. It seemed like way too many of his runs late in the season were for one or two yards or less. They'd put Turner in as relief and he'd rip off an 8 yard run. I'm worried LT is wearing down.

Did you notice that the Chargers had several completions for 15 yards plus, but very little yards after the catch? I think that was critical in the Pats win. The Chargers scored 4 times and the Pats 3. Too bad it wasn't baseball.

Someone above said a certain amount of luck is involved and that is true every year. The team that wins the SB had to have some luck to get there. That may involve some lucky breaks or it may involve getting through the season with few injuries. I have to wonder what the Chargers could have done yesterday if just one of their big three injuries (LT, Rivers, Gates) had been totally healthy? Rivers was good enough as is, what if Gates only had been 100%?

Here we are again playing the Pats in the AFC championship game and once again, we make a mistake when intercepting Brady. Instead of downing it in the end zone, Cromartie tried to run it out and gets to the 5. Still, I have to admit, that was a draft pick that really paid dividends and I recall he was considered a gamble.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
If it was only 1 week between league championship games and the Super Bowl, I'd think the Giants have a puncher's chance to win, but with 2 weeks, I'm still leaning towards the Pats handling their business, but I also think the game will be decided by 7 points or less.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Johnny,
I was yelling at the TV when Cromartie tried to be a hero. Can't get too upset cuz he DID intercept it in the endzone (and it was a great catch). But they start on the 10. Go 3 and out. punt and the Pats get it back near midfield. He should have downed it, but wanted to go 108 yards again.
oh well. He's an asset, but at least he didnt fumble it.

RW McFumbles did what he could to give that game to the Packers.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
When they drafted Cromartie, my brother in law and I looked at each other just wondering what they were thinking taking that big risk. Guess they knew what they were doing. Nice pick.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It was reported that LT re-injured his knee on his very first carry, and after 2 carries, he knew he was done for the game.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That makes two of us. I sure don't want my complaining about that to be interpreted as not liking Cromartie. He's been a tremendous addition to the team. I can't help but think this underlines a difference between the Pats and other teams. A Pat, I'll bet, downs that interception in the end zone for the team's sake, and forgoes any possible glory of a great run back.

I thought Rivers had made a great effort before I knew about the surgery and now I think doubly so. I am sure he has the respect of all his team mates. Way to go Rivers.

I think this season should also draw in bold, red letters right after Marty's name, "Can't win in the Playoffs." In one season, a coach who can't win in the regular season has won two more post-season games Than Marty did in all his years with the Chargers.

The Chargers have been good now for several years. How much longer does this version of the Chargers stay good, before they've lost their chance at the SB?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Rivers really grew into a team leader with his efforts this post season. Playing right after surgery, and needing another after the game, will earn him a lot of respect from his teammates, as Brandon said above.

The Pats are an early 13.5 point favorite. New England has been struggling versus the point spread lately, but it would be tough to lay money against them with two weeks to prepare.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks