What's new

2003 Various Guild nominees (Actors, Producers, Cinematographers, Art Directors) (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated.

Adaptation! Yes!

MBFGW over The Hours or FFH? Ah well, what can you do? Do the Producers stick to American films? I'm wondering if The Pianist was even eligible for their award.

It seems a pretty well-rounded list. Ya gotcher 2 epics and yer Musical and yer Little Movie That Could and yer Arty film and yer Prestige film. Something for everybody.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
PGA picking Adaptation is a huge plus for that film since it is certain to get a WGA nom (and a good shot to win it) as well as a decent chance at an ACE nom too.

Jonze also has a DGA shot considering his Globe nomination and the reception that Adaptation seems to be getting.

In fact, of those 4 (PGA, WGA, ACE, DGA) I considered the PGA nom to be the least likely. Adaptation is starting to look like a very strong contender right beside Chicago.

Also, not such a good sign for About Schmidt to get left out. Far From Heaven was already in big trouble, so no surprise there. While it hurts The Hours to get skipped on the PGA, it's not critical. The PGA's represent achievements in production after all, and that either means turning a strong financial gain or pulling together a large production (such as GONY, TTT). Also slick/flashy productions tend to get noticed since they obviously display a lot of production value as well, which is where Chicago comes in (just like Moulin Rouge last year).

But the only reasons for Adaptation that I can figure is the "film insider" storyline, or perhaps the PGA just sees the film as being so outstanding that it had to be recognized as an acheivement. I certainly would not have been surprised if they had skipped it (just as with The Hours).

About Schmidt didn't "need" the PGA nom anymore than Adaptation or The Hours did, but of the 3 it's the film that could have benefitted the most from it I think. Now it puts Adaptation in front of it in a very crowded front 8 or 9.

I was also slightly surprised that Perdition got the nom over Minority Report to be honest. MR made a lot of money and also had a lot of production value.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with Director's Guild nominees.

Stephen Daldry - The Hours
Peter Jackson - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Rob Marshall - Chicago
Roman Polanski - The Pianist
Martin Scorsese - Gangs of New York

The American Society of Cinematographers were supposed to have announced their nominees last night (Monday night) but there's nothing on their web page yet.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, and I noticed that they had the TV noms posted on the 20th like those had just come out or something. Maybe they have some dates wrong on their page.

Polanski in, Payne out. That hurts Schmidt (and Jonze, though it less a surprise here) and gives The Pianist a bit of a boost to slip in as the Il Postino of this year's Oscars.

Of course it's not much of a surprise that the DGA would take the chance to recognize Polanski since his film is strong.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with Costume Guild nominees. No Gangs of New York. Shocking!! (Unless it was accidentally left off oscarwatch.com's page, since there are only 4 Period/Fantasy nominations)

Best Achievement In Contemporary Costume Design

Nominees:

About a Boy - Joanna Johnston
About Schmidt - Wendy Chuck
Igby Goes Down - Sarah Edwards
Unfaithful - Ellen Mirojnick
White Oleander - Susie DeSanto

---
Best Achievement In Period/Fantasy Costume Design

Nominees:

Chicago - Colleen Atwood
Frida - Julie Weiss
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Ngila Dickson
Road to Perdition - Albert Wolsky

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated with American Society of Cinematographers nominees. Wow, no Two Towers :frowning:, but I'm very happy for Rodrigo Prieto!
Michael Ballhaus, ASC ("Gangs of New York")
Pawel Edelman ("The Pianist"),
Conrad Hall, ASC ("Road to Perdition"),
Ed Lachman, ASC ("Far From Heaven") and
Rodrigo Prieto, ASC ("Frida")

Claire Panke

Second Unit
No TTT recognition from Cinema Guild - wow is right, a surprise. I wasn't expecting to see Prieto in there, but I'm happy for him. I don't think Road To Perdition is Conrad Hall's best work but his nom was a given. The others I fully expected to see in there.

At least Lesnie got his Oscar last year (one of my happiest surprises in 2002, I love his work). I wonder if the magnitude of digital grading and post production in TTT hurt Lesnie with this guild? I thought TTT was even better than FOTR - much more detail and less grain. Oh, well.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
It also might have been the competition that Lesnie was up against this year. I'm happy to see Prieto's work get noticed on Frida. The film was one of my favorites of the year and has taken a slight bit of a beating during the awards season till this and the Globe win for score.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
E! News Live will have a special show Tuesday morning, when the SAG Awards nominations will be announced live. It'll be on at 8:00am Central time. It's an hour-long show.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Yes, I think Meryl Streep being put in the Best Actress category for both The Hours and Adaptation (which was reported) hurt her. I think she canceled herself out.

And no ensemble nom for About Schmidt, Gangs of New York, Road to Perdition, Catch Me If You Can, or The Pianist. Road to Perdition was TOTALLY ignored -- a supporting nom for Paul Newman was considered by many to be a shoe-in. I was semi-surprised by Two Towers' enesemble nod, especially over something like About Schmidt.

And that Big Fat Greek Wedding ensemble nom... will it be a surprise Best Picture nominee at the Oscars?

No Campbell Scott in Roger Dodger, either, or Derek Luke for Antwone Fisher.

A couple minor surprises, but the only real shocker was Streep. Other than that, it was a fairly predictable list.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Richard Gere? Please.
Instead of Michael Caine's performance in The Quiet American? Yes, I'd probably agree (once I see it). On its own though, Gere deserves to be up there. I've seen Chicago 3 times now, and Gere's performance is more impressive to me now than it was the first time I saw it. He tends to get overshadowed by the razzly-dazzly performances of Zellweger and Zeta-Jones, he doesn't have the "surprise" factor of them and Queen Latifah and John C. Reilly, and doesn't have that highly-acclaimed "indie cred" acting sheen of John C. Reilly. It's no wonder he's shunted to the background and regarded in a dismissive manner. But, if you really pay attention to his acting (beyond his actual singing and dancing, which I think are at least decent), he's brilliant. He's perfect in his role and is good in both the over-the-top moments and the quiet little "looks" he gives throughout.
I hope that someone who's a better writer than I am, and better able to talk about the great acting job he did in Chicago will write up something, either here or elsewhere (in which case a link would be a godsend).

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I just thought to check this. Updated with Cinema Audio Society nominations.

Outstanding Achievement in Sound Mixing - Feature

Nominees:

Catch Me If You Can
Chicago
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Road To Perdition
Spider-Man

Writers Guild noms come out tomorrow, though I may not be here when they're released. Perhaps someone can post the noms.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Vickie, both Sarah and I left the theater most impressed by Gere the first time out (we are chomping at the bit for a 2nd spin and are enjoying the soundtrack CD), so I'm not surprised at all by the Globes or SAG turn.

Well, I was a bit surprised he beat out Cage who was also incredible. But clearly there are many methods of great performances and not all of them must be serious drama.

For example, is Caine more entertaining in Goldmember than Cage or Gere are in Adaptation/Chicago? No. So maybe comedy/entertainment isn't all that easy after all. I don't know that Cage or Gere could have nailed the drama of QA since I haven't seen it yet, but I have seen Gere do great drama (Officer and Gent) as well as Cage (LLVegas).

The genre should not automatically limit the respect of a performance. I agree that drama would appear to be the better field for showing your acting chops, but really isn't the ultimate role the one in which you must express all emotions including being funny? Throw in some dancing and singing as well to make it mega-tough.

Gere does a lot of that in Chicago.

Think about this, if Caine was so great then why not take the spot of Brody, Nicholson, and Lewis? Is it because those 3 dramatic efforts were all better? Then I would say I'd rather have the 1st and 2nd best comedy/musical efforts in the place of the 4th best dramatic one, at least when they are so good and key parts to a couple of the best films of the year.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Writer's Guild nominees:

Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published

About a Boy, Adapted by Peter Hedges & Chris Weitz & Paul Weitz
About Schmidt, Adapted by Alexander Payne & Jim Taylor
Adaptation, Adapted by Charlie Kaufman & Donald Kaufman
Chicago, Adapted by Bill Condon
The Hours, Adapted by David Hare

Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Antwone Fisher, Written by Antwone Fisher
Bowling for Columbine, Written by Michael Moore
Far From Heaven, Written by Todd Haynes
Gangs of New York, Written by Jay Cocks, Steven Zaillian & Kenneth Lonergan
My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Written by Nia Vardalos

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Updated, thanks Brian. That list is going to generate some controversy!

With all the whining by Tolkien purists, I'm not surprised at all that TTT is missing from the list. Now it won't get nominated for an Academy Award either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks